is working out every single day bad ?

For the past two weeks i have been working out every single day and i have been eating healthy .
But then of course .. i gained weight .. muscle weight i would say ... is working out every day and burning 500 calories using (treadmill and step and the bike) are the reason i have gained muscle ? should i workout every other day ?

PS. i dont want to gain muscle weight i want to lose fats first then gain muscles

Replies

• betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 176 Member
    Its really important to give your body a chance to rest.perhaps you could try a day of just stretching or yoga, or just a long walk instead of intense exercises. That could be considered a rest day.
  • kford12
    kford12 Posts: 112
    It's good to let the body recover. I work out Monday - Friday and rest at the weekends :smile:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    I can't seem to take a day off either.
    Instead I vary my exercise between Jazzercise, walking, weight training and Tai Chi. On my "rest" day I still can't resist a walk or a swim, but I try to "mag-down" and walk more casually or swim just for fun, (not laps).
    Now I've added cycling and yoga to the mix and feel I have lots of options for type and intensity or workout
    I'm 61 and everything I read says I should take more rest days, but I tend to give myself low impact days instead.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    You can gain muscle and loose fat at the same time if you eat right.
    Keep to low fat, high carb, medium protein type diet.
    Also, give each muscle group a chance to recover.
    Try rotating upper and lower body routines each day and vary that routine to keep your body off balance which will help you get to your goals.
    In the end, listen to your body. If you start feeling sore, your body is trying to tell you take a rest.
    If you feel the urge to exercise every day, try to give about eight hours between sessions.
    Also, you must eat 20-60 minutes within working out so that your muscles can grab onto the sugars and recover more quickly.
    Have a Banana or similar with you to eat right after you finish.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Not bad, but unnecessary.
  • I workout 6 days a week and take a day off so my body can repair itself. It's during your rest day that your muscles are able to grow.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    For the past two weeks i have been working out every single day and i have been eating healthy .
    But then of course .. i gained weight .. muscle weight i would say ... is working out every day and burning 500 calories using (treadmill and step and the bike) are the reason i have gained muscle ? should i workout every other day ?

PS. i dont want to gain muscle weight i want to lose fats first then gain muscles

Funnily enough, if you gain muscle first, it is much easier to shed those fat weights. Your muscles burn away the calories so more muscles = more calories burned = more fat burned.
  • well yeah but i want the number on the scale to go lower not go higher because i gained some stupid muscles :(:(:(
  • I don't buy into this muscle weighs more than fat business tbh. I thought a pounds, a pound :huh:
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 909 Member
    well yeah but i want the number on the scale to go lower not go higher because i gained some stupid muscles :(:(:(
    but muscle makes you look sexy!
    and im sure it was your body retaining water, not muscle hun...
  • viviflu
    viviflu Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have the same "problem", i gain muscle very fast. My weight did not went up, but I have been working out for 2 months now and my weight is the same. It will start going lower at some point, just have to be patient and check your workout.

Working out every day can be done, but only if you change routine (cardio one day, lower body the other, upper body the next, etc). Muscles get used to same workouts, so be careful.
    If you want to burn fat, the best are long and slow pace exercises, such as walking. If your hear rate does not go to high, you will burn more fat than building up muscle.

Another way of checking your figure is measuring your waist, hips and legs. In my case I lost 2cm of waist without loosing any weight.

If I would be you, I will concentrate in alterning workouts, give a day of rest or low physical activity, drink a lot of water and be sure I weight my self only once per week at the same time (morning or night can make a big difference!)

Good luck!
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    The scale will go down, give it time...I think it is normal to build some muscle before the weight comes off and like the other post said, muscle burns more fat and thats what you want to burn off more of anyway, you don't want to lose muscle, you want to lose the fat. No matter what your body is getting adjusted and getting stronger and you should see and feel results before you see the scale dropping as much. I have only lost 5 lbs since march 1st but my measurments have gotten smaller and my clothes fit better, in fact, I went down a size. Without the exercising and toning my muscles, I don't think I would be seeing and feeling that big of difference.
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    and just like everybody is saying, give your body a rest day!!! It's good for you!
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    The number on the scale doesn't mean that much if you have no muscle tone or definition. Without building any muscle you're gonna look skinnyfat and you'll need to eat like a bird to maintain and that's no fun.

More to the point - I don't think working out is bad to do everyday as long as one or two of those days is light. Maybe just take a walk on your light days?
  • tamatia1
    tamatia1 Posts: 1 Member
    You have been eating healthy but have you been eating enough? If you don't eat enough then you will do more damage than good. Also, the lower your BMI is the harder it is to lose weight.
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    But then of course .. i gained weight .. muscle weight i would say ... is working out every day and burning 500 calories using (treadmill and step and the bike) are the reason i have gained muscle ?

It's unlikely that you gained significant muscle from doing cardio, usually people gain more muscle from strength training. It's not bad to be active every day, but it is possible to overtrain.

It's also possible for you to be retaining water if you eat too much salt and don't drink enough water, and your weight could fluctuate if you're weighing at different times of the day, wearing different clothes, after eating, etc. You said that you have been eating healthy, but are you logging your food and tracking calories? You need to make sure you are eating as close to your calorie goal as possible (including exercise calories).

Don't be discouraged, just keep at it and make sure you are eating the right amount.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    yes it is and losing fat is not going to happen without gaining muscle. the scale isnt going to tell you how much muscle you are ganing, but if the number stays the same and you get stronger, you ARE losing fat.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Hi,

I have the same "problem", i gain muscle very fast. My weight did not went up, but I have been working out for 2 months now and my weight is the same. It will start going lower at some point, just have to be patient and check your workout.

Working out every day can be done, but only if you change routine (cardio one day, lower body the other, upper body the next, etc). Muscles get used to same workouts, so be careful.
    If you want to burn fat, the best are long and slow pace exercises, such as walking. If your hear rate does not go to high, you will burn more fat than building up muscle.

Another way of checking your figure is measuring your waist, hips and legs. In my case I lost 2cm of waist without loosing any weight.

If I would be you, I will concentrate in alterning workouts, give a day of rest or low physical activity, drink a lot of water and be sure I weight my self only once per week at the same time (morning or night can make a big difference!)

Good luck!

gaining muscle isnt a problem. women cant get muscles like men. it doesnt happen.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member

1 - You definitely haven't gained any muscle weight in two weeks, and certainly not enough to make the scale go up, especially if all you're doing is cardio. More likely you're retaining a bit of water, or have PMS, or any number of other things that can make your body seem to gain a couple of pounds.

2 - Muscles aren't stupid, but they ARE what could make the difference between you being weak and feeble or being strong and healthy fifty years from now.

3 - In order to really answer your question, we'd need to know what you're eating, and what you're doing for workouts. If you're eating 1000 calories per day and running off 500 of those calories every day, then yes, it would be a very bad thing.

It's about the bigger picture, getting healthy, not just about the number on the scale. :flowerforyou:
  • Phenix_Ablaze
    Phenix_Ablaze Posts: 21 Member
    If you are building muscle along the way, it will help you burn fat more efficiently. The scale should not be the only thing you are looking at. Take your body measurements and check to see how many inches were lost.

P.S. Someone above mentioned that they don't buy into the "muscle weighs more than fat business... a pound is a pound" or something like that. Of course a pound is a pound, but if you compare a pound of muscle to a pound of fat... the pound of muscle is going to be much smaller in size! :-)

Good luck!
    ~Nicole
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!