Anyone running to lose weight? How is that going?

Options
Started losing weight over a year ago and picked up running as my exercise. I would like to say that watching my calories and running has made the weight just fall off but that has not been the case. I'm constantly trying to find the balance in how much I should eat or not eat. You can't go low carb if you are a runner. I run 4 days a week and cross train on the 5th. I also weight lift and such. My weight often stalls out and I can go weeks or even months without losing weight.

Are you running? Any tricks to consistently keep losing weight while running?

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    LOL. You just typed up pretty much what I am going through.

I run 3 days a week and do some sort of cardio the other 4 days. I also strength train 3-4 days a week. I have lost 1/2 lb since January. I have dropped a lot of inches, so my clothes have gotten smaller, but the weight isn't budging. I am only 12-13 lbs from my goal, but at this rate, I'll be 50 years old before I hit my goal. Ha ha!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Yep! I have been running 6 - 7 days a week since January and losing at least a pound a week. I recently started strength training and running stairs as well but not in the beginning.

With running I just make sure it's never easy for me, when it gets easy I up my speed or distance. Good luck.
  • sharonwitten
    Options
    I am also running to lose weight and found that as I started I actually gained. This is because even though I may have lost fat I have gained muscle which weighs more. I too keep making it harder for myself. If I feel that it gets easy I up my speed or distance or incline. My doctor said to make the last part of my run as fast as I can go. This brings up your endurance and I have found that to be true. Just keep it up.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Started losing weight over a year ago and picked up running as my exercise. I would like to say that watching my calories and running has made the weight just fall off but that has not been the case. I'm constantly trying to find the balance in how much I should eat or not eat. You can't go low carb if you are a runner. I run 4 days a week and cross train on the 5th. I also weight lift and such. My weight often stalls out and I can go weeks or even months without losing weight.

Several things. I run relatively long distances, 15-30 miles per week. Sunday I'm doing a half marathon. Once I started running 6 + miles at a time, my body really started changing. I also do/instruct crossfit type classes 2-3 days a week in addition to running 3 days a week. I've noticed more loss in inches than lbs, but I'm down to the last 10-15 lbs to lose. I had to really switch up my goals since as a result, so I want to lose another dress size. I'm not as tied to the scale anymore.

Also, I eat what most would consider low carb. Under 100 carbs a day, usually around 50. I eat a boatload of fruits and veggies, WW bread & wraps, quinoa, brown rice, but I mainly stick to proteins, fruits & veggies. I'm not the speediest runner in the world, but for 6+ miles I'm around 9 minute miles running comfortably, just ran 3 miles yesterday in 24 minutes running pretty hard, 1.5 mile stretch that is uphill. You can most definately eat "low carb' and run. I have plenty of energy!!!
  • runninghome
    runninghome Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Several things. I run relatively long distances, 15-30 miles per week. Sunday I'm doing a half marathon. Once I started running 6 + miles at a time, my body really started changing. I also do/instruct crossfit type classes 2-3 days a week in addition to running 3 days a week. I've noticed more loss in inches than lbs, but I'm down to the last 10-15 lbs to lose. I had to really switch up my goals since as a result, so I want to lose another dress size. I'm not as tied to the scale anymore.

Also, I eat what most would consider low carb. Under 100 carbs a day, usually around 50. I eat a boatload of fruits and veggies, WW bread & wraps, quinoa, brown rice, but I mainly stick to proteins, fruits & veggies. I'm not the speediest runner in the world, but for 6+ miles I'm around 9 minute miles running comfortably, just ran 3 miles yesterday in 24 minutes running pretty hard, 1.5 mile stretch that is uphill. You can most definately eat "low carb' and run. I have plenty of energy!!!
    [/quote

ritmeyer, I found your post very interesting. I shake up my miles a lot as well. I try to get in a long run once a week. Ran a 1/2 in December and have plans to run another in May. I think I'm built for distance running. I'm a slow runner. I comfortably run 10 to 10:30 minute mile. All out running I have done 8:30 but it was very hard for me. So you said that once you started running 6+ miles at a time that things started changing. Do you mean weight loss? I am in my 170 and at 5"4 should be in the 140. I'm still probably considered obese. I still have 40+ pounds to take off. I have lost nothing in four months. After testing for any possible medical reason I have concluded I must be doing something wrong. I assume I'm not eating enough. I measure myself once a month so I can see improvements when the scale will not move. However, even my measurements have staled out.
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    im with ya! so aggrevating, but i also bumped up my calories because i was starving and needing fuel. started spinning 2 days and going to add like a boot camp on run days to see if that helps. good luck
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Running is the only exercise I have used to aid in weight loss.

My journey started about 9 years ago. I was 180 and totally out of shape. I started watching what I ate and started to lose a little weight. I started running 2 miles at a time, 3 to 4 days a week on the treadmill and more weight came off. That got me to about 160.

I started running outside with a couple guys from work. We did 3 to 5 miles a day 3 to 4 days a week. I continued to lose weight and I plateaued at about 155 with my weekly mileage increasing to about 25 miles per week.

I then gradually increased my mileage to around 45 miles per week and that is when things really started to change for me. I was able to eat pretty much what I wanted, still being mindful most of the time. My weight dropped to the 140 range before hitting another plateau.

The next step was marathon training which took my mileage up to as high at 73 miles per week, averaging in the mid to high 50 mile per week range and I dropped to the low 130s, and there I have remained for a quite a while. I want to trim off a few more lbs to get to my ideal racing weight, so I joined up here and I am amazed at the results gained from just being aware of what I am putting in my mouth on a daily basis.

So, yes, I've used running to lose weight. It's gone pretty well. :)
  • runninghome
    Options
    so for those who are NOT losing weight running or are having trouble how many miles do you run a week? seems to me those who are losing are also running lots of miles.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Run longer and harder. I don't know what your average distance is, but up that. Sign up for a race and train. Do interval training! Run at your normal pace, and then sprint for one block. Run for two sprint for one...so on and so on. Make your run HARD. And dont worry about loading up on carbs sooo much. You really dont need too many as long as you are eating helathy and are well hydrated. Good luck!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Run longer and harder..Do interval training! Run at your normal pace, and then sprint for one block. Run for two sprint for one...so on and so on. Make your run HARD. And dont worry about loading up on carbs sooo much.

I would only caution that you shouldn't do this every day. A hard effort should always be followed by an easy effort to allow the adaptations to take place and for the body to recover. Doing every run hard is a formula that leads to injury.

Edit: all ->allow
  • bumpusburn
    bumpusburn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started running after I had already lost around 85 pounds last year and now I am up to about 115 pounds lost, don't get me wrong I didn't lost the additional weight just by running, I have done a round of Body-for-Life, finished P90X about a week ago and started day 1 of my second go with P90X this morning. I see serious calorie burn when running and I use the run keeper app for my phone to track calories, pace, distance, etc. What I would recommend is changing your diet up a little bit, and I know this sounds crazy but might want to thing of going on a calorie binge for a day or so to make your body think it is going to need to work harder to burn off the additional calories it is getting then when you get back to your normal eating your body will still be in high gear calorie burning. I have read on a few sites, and in research that I have done that this is a good way to break through a slump. Give it a shot if you want.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Run longer and harder..Do interval training! Run at your normal pace, and then sprint for one block. Run for two sprint for one...so on and so on. Make your run HARD. And dont worry about loading up on carbs sooo much.

I would only caution that you shouldn't do this every day. A hard effort should always be followed by an easy effort to all the adaptations to take place and for the body to recover. Doing every run hard is a formula that leads to injury.

Yes, rest!! Thanks for adding that in there. Work hard but rest hard too. It's easy to hurt yourself if you do too much, and cross training is really important too.
  • ritmeyer
    Options

[/quote

ritmeyer, I found your post very interesting. I shake up my miles a lot as well. I try to get in a long run once a week. Ran a 1/2 in December and have plans to run another in May. I think I'm built for distance running. I'm a slow runner. I comfortably run 10 to 10:30 minute mile. All out running I have done 8:30 but it was very hard for me. So you said that once you started running 6+ miles at a time that things started changing. Do you mean weight loss? I am in my 170 and at 5"4 should be in the 140. I'm still probably considered obese. I still have 40+ pounds to take off. I have lost nothing in four months. After testing for any possible medical reason I have concluded I must be doing something wrong. I assume I'm not eating enough. I measure myself once a month so I can see improvements when the scale will not move. However, even my measurements have staled out.

Once I added on longer distances, I noticed that my abs started to have waaaay more definition, and my legs and butt have virtually no fat on them. My stomach and back is my problem area...after 2 kids especially problem, so to see that area looking better was awesome! I am 5'9, 165 now. When I started training for my first half last year I went from 180 down to 170 in just a few weeks. Then the scale stopped moving, but the inches came off. I just made sure I maintained for about 6 months and here I am working to get the last bit off. I couldn't get the scale to move for awhile, then I started making sure I was eating enough since I workout so much. I had a big whoosh this month, 5 lbs off. I also try to change things up, go run a hard 3 miles instead of an easy 6. MAKE SURE I'M TAKING REST DAYS!! I always do one easy long run a week, maybe 6-10 miles once a week depending on time and if I'm running with the double jogger.

I would really make sure you are eating enough! Sometimes we just have stalls. It sucks, but you are doing great!!!
  • runninghome
    Options

[/quote

Once I added on longer distances, I noticed that my abs started to have waaaay more definition, and my legs and butt have virtually no fat on them. My stomach and back is my problem area...after 2 kids especially problem, so to see that area looking better was awesome! I am 5'9, 165 now. When I started training for my first half last year I went from 180 down to 170 in just a few weeks. Then the scale stopped moving, but the inches came off. I just made sure I maintained for about 6 months and here I am working to get the last bit off. I couldn't get the scale to move for awhile, then I started making sure I was eating enough since I workout so much. I had a big whoosh this month, 5 lbs off. I also try to change things up, go run a hard 3 miles instead of an easy 6. MAKE SURE I'M TAKING REST DAYS!! I always do one easy long run a week, maybe 6-10 miles once a week depending on time and if I'm running with the double jogger.

I would really make sure you are eating enough! Sometimes we just have stalls. It sucks, but you are doing great!!!

I think I don't eat enough. I just don't think I can do this and eat 1200 a day. No, I was not eating back my exercise calories. The more the weight would not come off the more I started backing down on the calories. I have changed my MFP to give me a mini of 1500 a day and I try to eat some of my exercise calories. I'm thinking a good change would be to up all my runs a bit. I do several 3 mile runs a week. I might be able to jump start this by putting in more 6 mile runs. I run 4 days a week with a rest day and a cross-train day. On my 3 mile runs days I do upper body toning and 10 minutes of stairs. Should I up the miles or up the speed and do more tempo runs. Oh, this is giving me hope.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with all the distance folks. I ran 2-3 miles, 3 times a week for two years with almost no change. In the past month, I've started upping mileage (training for a 20k on June 2, doing one fast 2 miles run, an interval 4miler and then an 8-10+ each week) and I've noticed a big difference! Granted, right now, it's all in inches and definition - I'm almost at the point that my thighs don't touch when standing with my feet touching - and not pounds, but I know it will happen soon.

Hearing all these distance success stories makes me want to train for a fall marathon. Hmmmm.....

Edited to add: I also do Body Pump twice a week with relatively heavy weights (20-40 throughout), the Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack on level two with 15#s twice a week and one day of heavy lifting, so it's not ALL running, but still :)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running to drop lbs. works great as long as you don't use your running as a license to eat.

At the end of the day it is really about the math; burn more than you eat and lose weight, eat more than you burn and gain weight.

I've put on 10+ lbs. while running 50+ miles per week (no kidding). Clearly I must have been eating 60 miles per week worth of food...
  • ritmeyer
    Options
    Yeah, watching calories is important in long distance running. Both in making sure you aren't overdoing it and that you are eating enough. I plan to do 2 halfs a year, then change things up in between to keep my body guessing. That being said, I will always do a long run a week. It's good for my soul...and my body.

Good luck!! When my kids get older I plan to do a full. But with both my husband and I being runners, It's challenging enough with us both training for a half.

edit: I'd do a little of both, throw in some tempo runs and do some longer distance. I've just started really trying to push myself into the high 8 minutes on my 6 mile runs. I think I was getting so comfortable that I needed to shake some things up. But I will always go easy on 6+. It's my meditation time
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I started running about a year ago, and now run 15-20 miles a week on average. It works great as a cardio exercise for burning calories. In the year I've been running, I've gone from 340lbs down to 233 at 6'6".

For me the key was tracking calories in and out, and making sure I was always in a caloric deficit. Right now I'm eating about 500 under my net calories and still losing about 1lb a week. When I losing it fast, I was averaging close to 3lbs a week.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Forget about the fact that you're running — it makes no difference how you burn the calories.

If you're gaining weight, it's 'cause you're consuming more calories than you burn.

If you're running regularly and not losing weight, it's 'cause you're either eating too many calories//not running enough.

There's zero magic to this.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Story of my freaking LIFE. I started training for a half-marathon on 12/05/2011 and trained for four months (the race in question was last Sunday, finished in 2:11:02). By the end my mileage was up to about 25 per week; I was also lifting weights three days a week. During training I barely lost five and a half pounds, and less than two of those since January. During a month where I ate no sweets or desserts, three vegetables and two fruits per day, tons of lean protein and only 50% carbs, I lost 0.8 pounds. In four weeks. It made no sense; I was at a calorie deficit and all that jazz, I should have been losing a pound a week, but I didn't.

On the upside, my measurements changed drastically--since 12/05/2011 I've lost more than two inches from my waist, 3/4 of an inch from my hips, my thighs firmed up (though didn't change in measurement). I have this weird feeling that now that my mileage will go back down to around 12 per week during my recovery period that I'll suddenly lose a few pounds that should theoretically already be gone, but who knows. I'm happy with the change in measurements--that means that something is changing, even if the stupid scale doesn't reflect it.