Rude comments and relapsing

Options
13»

Replies

• KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I haven't read everything, but I'm sure someone has already said this: if someone has a big deal with you eating something less than healthy, they've probably got some issues of their own. If anyone questioned my eating habits, my first reaction would be to ask what they eat on a regular basis, and then tell them to shut off their holier-than-thou attitude.

As I did see someone else say, ice cream isn't the healthiest thing, but it is healthy to enjoy some of these things. Honestly, I think if you refuse yourself all those things you liked before you were dieting, you're more likely relapse and fall even harder into a binge. It's good to reward yourself for all your effort now and again. I finally got back down to 138 today and I had a very, very small serving of orange cream milkshake/smoothie/whatever. AND IT WAS DELICIOUS. And when it got a little later and I got hungry again? I steamed some salmon and asparagus when I could have had ice cream.

TL;DR -- Don't let criticism of people who don't even eat healthily bother you, and be sure to reward yourself with a treat now and again.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Girl, if you want to eat ice cream for every meal you wouldn't hear my criticism unless you ASKED for it. None of my business.
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well I guess neverstray isn't the only one on the negative bandwagon. It is a a shame the your Aunt would not only treat you this way but your younger sister as well. You mention your Aunt has already been told this before but not by whom. You also mention that she has never talked to you this way before. If she has never talked to you this way before and you have never discussed this matter with her about her disrespect and hurtfulness then it is your responsibility to have the discussion with her now. And yes, it will not be an easy or pleasant conversation. However, as mentioned before you still have to take responsibility for your own feelings and actions.

Of more concern to me is your sister, are your parents aware of the comments your aunt is directing towards her? Rhetorical question. Perhaps if you have the above conversation with your aunt then your sister will reap some of the benefits. It sure would be great if she did and to me that would be a win-win situation if I ever saw one.
  • crystal637
    Options
    I find that the people who aren't trying to better their lives are always the ones who are critical of the people who are. They try to sabotage your progress with negative comments or even tempting you by bringing over treats or baked goods when they know you are trying to be good. I've lost almost 30 pounds and the people who need to lose weight are always criticizing me for being too skinny. The people who don't need to lose weight tell me I look good and are impressed with my discipline and progress. It's hard not to be affected by the comments, but always consider the source. A little ice cream treat here or there is what keeps you on track. Not ever allowing yourself the occasional ice cream treat is what makes you end up eating the whole tub. it's almost midnight and I just had a petite apple pie from Starbucks. I know I shouldn't eat this late even though I ran 25 km today, but I wanted that little pie and I'm an adult so I will have the little pie and enjoy it. if I'm doing this every night then it's a problem. What is the joy to life if you can't enjoy it. We can't always be good, but if we are at least trying then we are on the right track. I was told that we all have a white (positive) cat and a black (negative) cat in our head. It's up to us which one we feed. When the rude comments come, feed the white cat. Tell yourself that you're doing just fine and nobody is going to tell you different. We all get a little down sometime and need encouragement. Just remember, feed the white cat and it will grow. ^..^