how do you stop urinating so much?

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
ever since i can remember i have had to go to the bathroom every 1-2 hours, but only sometimes does a lot of urine come out, a lot of the time only a little bit does. what can i do to stop this happening?

ETA: I have been tested for diabetes and it came back negative.

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    In the past for me it was diabetes related. I talked to my doctor about it and for it was because I had so much excess sugar in my system my body was constantly getting rid of it by peeing. Once I got on meds and got my diet in check, it stopped. I no longer have this issue.

just saw your diabetes test check. IDK hope others have an answer for you.
  • BrayneZ
    BrayneZ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    To my knowledge, there's nothing wrong with needing to pee every 1-2 hours. It's probably a good sign of staying hydrated actually. The only thing you could do (and I do know people who've done this) to make it worse it to reduce your water intake
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    First I'd look at what you're drinking. This sort of thing happens to me when I drink a lot of soda. Of course, there could be many other potential causes. When I'm nervous I have to pee multiple times an hour, though very little comes out.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If your Doctor has ruled out infections or any other problems then maybe some exercises to strengthen your bladder muscles. Stopping the flow mid way is always a good one. Kegel exercises and aids are also recommended.

Bear in mind that it can take weeks to see any results though
  • sjhumby
    sjhumby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have similar problems, a nurse said it could be an over active bladder and recommended that I try to avoid tea and coffee, and other caffeine containing drinks. However she also suggested that I try not to drink anything past 6pm in the evening to stop myself having to get up at night - which I think is pretty unhealthy advice especially as I tend to get really thirsty in the evening and over night. It used to annoy me but now I just try to drink as much water as I can and try not to let it bother me! I do find that cutting back on tea and coffee does help though :-)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    When I'm nervous I have to pee multiple times an hour, though very little comes out.

^^ That could be it actually.
    Cos I have very bad anxiety attacks almost daily :( is there a way to actually stop yourself urinating when feeling the urge when nervous?
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    if you arent drinking loads of water i would investigate UTI its common for women.
  • angenz
    angenz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How much do you drink?

I often drink 2-3 liters of water - just water - per day. This isn't including herbal teas, coffee and black tea.
    I average going to the loo every 40-60 mins.

The more caffeine I drink the more I go as this is a diuretic, which means that even if I only drink one mug of coffee/tea I will pee more out. That's why it's vital to drink plenty of water if you have caffeine in your diet, otherwise this could (possibly) lead to dehydration.

Personally, I think that as long as the colour of your pee is a light yellow straw all is good in the world.

I sit at an office desk all day so welcome the loo-break for a walk and stretch! :laugh:
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    ^This. A UTI (urinary tract infection) will make you feel the urge to pee a lot, but you may not actually need to pass anything. What is your water intake like? I got exactly the symptoms you've described when I really wasn't drinking much water at all. Now I make sure I drink a minimum of 2 litres a day and it's no longer a problem. You may want to consider upping your water intake.

If you already get plenty, it could be a symptom of your anxiety as you said before. Either way, I'd see your doctor. They ruled out diabetes, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be something else.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound unusual to me. You should need to urinate every 2 hours or so, maybe more frequently if your bladder is small. Most people need to urinate after they have about 250-300 cc of fluid in their bladder (about a can of soda) so if you drink fluids, you'll have to eliminate them. So, if you are drinking water, coffee, etc figure about an hour or so later you'll need to go....
  • madamepsychosis
    Options
    What msblushie said. A UTI (urinary tract infection) will make you feel the urge to pee a lot, but you may not actually need to pass anything. What is your water intake like? I got exactly the symptoms you've described when I really wasn't drinking much water at all. Now I make sure I drink a minimum of 2 litres a day and it's no longer a problem. You may want to consider upping your water intake.

If you already get plenty, it could be a symptom of your anxiety as you said before. Either way, I'd see your doctor. They ruled out diabetes, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be something else.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    How much do you drink?

I often drink 2-3 liters of water - just water - per day. This isn't including herbal teas, coffee and black tea.
    I average going to the loo every 40-60 mins.

The more caffeine I drink the more I go as this is a diuretic, which means that even if I only drink one mug of coffee/tea I will pee more out. That's why it's vital to drink plenty of water if you have caffeine in your diet, otherwise this could (possibly) lead to dehydration.

Personally, I think that as long as the colour of your pee is a light yellow straw all is good in the world.

I sit at an office desk all day so welcome the loo-break for a walk and stretch! :laugh:

Yeah but see the problem is that I always fret when going out with friends and stuff if there is going to be a bathroom around. And I can't just go to the bathroom in the middle of my shift when I'm the only one working front counter and drive thru.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    What msblushie said. A UTI (urinary tract infection) will make you feel the urge to pee a lot, but you may not actually need to pass anything. What is your water intake like? I got exactly the symptoms you've described when I really wasn't drinking much water at all. Now I make sure I drink a minimum of 2 litres a day and it's no longer a problem. You may want to consider upping your water intake.

How long do UTI's last though? :S
  • angenz
    angenz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I'm nervous I have to pee multiple times an hour, though very little comes out.

^^ That could be it actually.
    Cos I have very bad anxiety attacks almost daily :( is there a way to actually stop yourself urinating when feeling the urge when nervous?

Just read this bit.....

Just a thought, but in some way do you think you get nervous/have a panic attack. Therefore you want to leave the situation immediately and your body "thinks" of an excuse to remove yourself, i.e. you get the urge to pee thus making you go to the bathroom, which is a safe comfortable place???

I'm not an expert in psychology or anything, but could there be a deeper/psychological-physiological reason for this?
  • madamepsychosis
    Options
    UTIs can occur for a variety of reasons and they can also recur frequently if they're not treated, so if it feels like a constant thing, it's probably because of that. You can get antibiotics to treat them, but you might want to try upping your water intake before you do that, just to see if it makes it better. I've also heard really good things about cranberry juice.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I don't know, Depends?
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    Options
    If you suspect any UTI issues you can drink unsweetened cranberry juice or take cranberry pills. It will clear it up really fast.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    Options
    I don't know, Depends?

You know when someone is asking for advice being a SMART ALECK isnt helpful

If you have nothing nice / helpful to say then be quiet
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I don't know, Depends?

serious+business.jpg
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I don't know, Depends?

so telling her to drink cranberry juice is helpful? If there is a medical issue she should go to the doctor...not get bogus advice from strangers.