WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2012

Options

Replies

• cdnider
    cdnider Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi
    I am new to the 50+group because it just turned 50 in Jan. I am finding it really hard to lose weight (not that I am that over weight ) I need to lose about 25-30 lbs and don't want to gain any more. I am by no means a bad eater and I love to be active but I have to it just dosn't seem to come off like it use to.
    Thanks for listening
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

Hope you are having a great Wednesday!!

fitz1191 - your information about the massages even sounds painful :frown:

jellyfishinjen - hope you are feeling better :flowerforyou:

realpure - glad you had a nice vacation, now back to reality :grumble:

Jeannie - my facebook just turned to the timeline too, I am not so sure I will like it either. I hope it can be turned off if I don't :noway:

marlouise - those scam things are awful; hope you got things squared away okay :smile:

Laura - sounds like you had a nice Easter after all :wink:

Jen - you do whatever works for you :happy:

kackie - you go, Girl :drinker:

Calexalea and cnider - Welcome, you will like it here, there is lots of support :flowerforyou:

Well, not too much esle is new, My Friends, so I will talk to you later.

Love, Cathy xx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,967 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Today is the day I substitute taught for the line dance teacher in the next town…..I went to my regular class in the morning then drove directly to the next class and got there in time to get everything set up by 12:15 when the class started. The hardest part was the technology----hooking up the CD player to the sound system in the senior center and hooking up the microphone headset to the rest of the system……I taught dances I knew well and that they had danced before and we all had a lot of fun.

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ, as restrictive as your food choices are right now, it must be comforting at least to know what to avoid to keep from feeling sick. I hope the doctor will have some helpful answers for you. I don’t eat beef, pork, caffeine, butter, cream, milk, or carbonated drinks but I have several shakes made with whey protein every day and would hate to have to give them up because of a problem with dairy.

:cry: Robin, I’m sorry you didn’t get the job, but that probably means that there’s a better one that will show up soon.

:flowerforyou: Mary, that’s a great song…..,yes there is plenty of room for new members on this thread.

:flowerforyou: Jb, when I started with SWSY I did exactly what was in the book and used one amount of weight for all the arm exercises and one amount of weight for all the leg exercises and did two sets of eight repetitions for everything but as soon as I added something new, did different numbers of reps, and used different weights, I had to start of journal of what I did each day so I could remember for the next time. Two things I added are wall sits and plank and for those I time them using the stopwatch on my phone.

:laugh: Brats are like potato chips
    nobody can eat just one.

:flowerforyou: Sissy, congrats on getting back to the gym…do you do anything with dumbbells there? I am learning to love dumbbells.

:flowerforyou: Fitz, I don’t have a good memory…..I have technology. :laugh: I write my response in a word document so I can go back and forth and read a post then write a response on my word document and if I get interrupted, I can save it for later.

:flowerforyou: Sharonwitten, we’re glad you’re here. This is a great place for support and encouragement and getting new ideas about food and exercise.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, congrats on the successful measurements and baggy pants.

:flowerforyou: Housegirl, welcome, those sound like great goals.

:flowerforyou: Calexalea, welcome. I like your goals. Before long you’ll be working out with bigger hand weights.

:flowerforyou: Cdnider, this is a great thread no matter how much or how little you need to lose

:flowerforyou: Cathy, if nothing is new then it means you haven’t acquired any problems or challenges.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I’m the one who danced all day and Jake is one napping on the couch while the pets chase each other all over the house. Maybe I should be taking a nap instead of doing stuff on the computer.

:flowerforyou: I roasted a whole chicken and some red potatoes yesterday so we had leftovers for supper tonight with a frozen vegetable……easy, healthy, and delicious….it doesn’t get any better than that.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington state where it has been drizzling all day
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,372 Member
    Options
    surfpinecolleen - welcome! The more the merrier. Congrats on not giving in to the chocolate...that's fantastic

barbie - my bosu at home has a stability bar. The ones at the gym don't, probably because the ones with the stability bar are more expensive...lol Trust me...balance is NOT my strong point

Robin - a job just for you will come up

Did an hour of a workout on the bosu today. Tomorrow I'll do the Jari Love Ripped and Chiseled DVD then go to my crochet class

Had Newcomer general meeting, then the bowling meeting, then bowled 3 games. I did pretty good, probably because it was just practice. Now we're home for a little bit and then we go back to the bowling alley for the last Newcomer bowling of this season. In 2 weeks a couple is hosting an apres-bowling party, I'll bring shrimp and a cake and fixings for the burgers. They're going to provide the brats, hamburgers, and beer. Not really my cup of tea which is why I'm bringing shrimp.

housegirl - welcome! What kind of clases do you take?

Welcome calexalea, cdnider

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening

Michele
  • surfpinescolleen13
    Options
    You guys are so awesome! Thank you for welcoming me into the group and I am excited to get to know everyone. I took a friend to the community pool today and we did a half hour of water walking. It's a total of 100 widths of the pool. My friend had a heart attack 3 weeks ago and so she needs to do low impact exercise. It felt good because I hadn't been to the pool in at least 6 months and people remembered me. That felt good. I also did Curves today for 30 minutes. I love all your April goals. My goals are;
    -do not eat after 7:30 at least 5 nights a week
    -go to Curves 3x a week
    -go to the pool and do water walking 1x a week
    - wear my pedometer and start walking 5000 steps at least 4 days a week. I am so encouraged by how many steps people are walking! Barb- thanks for the comment about my dog, Muffy. She is a cross between a ShiZu and a Bichon. She is my animal angel. I notice that a couple of folks live in the Pacific Northwest. I do too. I live in Warrenton, Oregon. Have a good evening everyone! Colleen
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello! I joined you thread a week or so ago. I set my Goals , and then My Aunt died :brokenheart: she was 87, with Easter and all that goes with it and My mom not taken the passing of my Aunt to well , I just kind of stoped before I ever got started. I am back and would like to start over:smile: I live in Indiana and I am 56yrs , My goals are to walk the dog at lest 3 times a week and to work out with the wii fit . I need to tone up as well as lose weight . I did manage to not gain any weight though this weekend so I am sill at a 6 pounds loss.:bigsmile: It has been a stressful week , but I am ready to move on!:flowerforyou:
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Rpphillip - Welcome back.:flowerforyou:

Stopping in tonight to say "hello" to my MFP 50+ peeps. Have a great week. Thanks for all the sharing and support!:bigsmile:

determined in AZ
    Barb
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies. Yesterday's kettle bell workout didn't cause much DOMS so I am feeling pretty good today. My poor DH on the other hand hasn't kept food or water down since Tuesday morning. If he can't keep it down today I will force/take him to the doctor. I am worried about him.

Speaking of our PNW weather, Bodi and Ritter love the sun that we had. They ran and played out side alot. Now they are stuck back in the house. Rit does't mind getting wet but Bodi just really doesn't care for the rain. With Ritter growing so much it is getting harder for them to run around the house. It can get very noisy.

I have been doing much better this week on logging my food again. I can tell that when I log it I don't bloat as much because I see the sodium. I am looking forward to weighing on Monday and seeing some progress again.

Welcome newbies!!

Have a great day.

Robin, Bodi boy and Ritter bit from the beautiful PNW (north of Seattle)
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :flowerforyou: SuzyQ, as restrictive as your food choices are right now, it must be comforting at least to know what to avoid to keep from feeling sick. I hope the doctor will have some helpful answers for you. I don’t eat beef, pork, caffeine, butter, cream, milk, or carbonated drinks but I have several shakes made with whey protein every day and would hate to have to give them up because of a problem with dairy....

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington state where it has been drizzling all day

I was only eating beef once a week and my pork consisted of bacon for breakfast on weekends. I had given up caffeine decades ago and have never been big on much dairy other than yogurt or cheese. I was relying on ginger ale to settle my tummy until the er doctor told me no carbonated drinks. Thank goodness I can still eat tilapia, chicken and eggs for lunch. Don't understand why even that causes problems if eaten for supper... but it DOES. I got a little too comfortable and dared to put a little meat in the soup I made for supper last night with disastrous consequences. That will teach me! :sick:

One would think I would be losing weight with all the digestive problems I'm having, but no. :noway: Still weigh the same! Probably because bananas are one of the few foods that set well nowadays. Sorry to be such a wet blanket. I'm just sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Scale hasn't moved in 3 weeks. Thinking I need to replace the battery. But did my measurements Hips down 2" waist down 3" from the first of January. I'm happy with that. Pants are getting baggy.
    Joyce

Joyce, that is awesome! Your muscles are getting ripped, that's why no scale trail.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

There’s not much news from my side of the valley – workouts and daily 5K continue for four more days, then it’s off to the city for the foot surgery and a whole new routine. The admin (bless her) hasn’t selected my replacement yet. I’m trying to “be zen” about it because there’s really nothing that I can do. :grumble:

I’m still stalled at 130 lbs, and have been for over a month! :sad: Good news is that the scale now hovers just at and below that weight instead of at and above. Just 5 pounds from my goal!

DH is on a gardening kick, he build a cold frame out of our old windows and plunked it down in a sunny spot. His goal is to have fresh radishes to snack on. :ohwell:

Eileen, how interesting to be finding flotsam (or is that jetsam?) from Japan on your beach. I have a couple of glass fish net weights from our days on the coast, but I have to admit to buying them, we never found anything so interesting.

JB – The trainer in the circuit training class I went to last night had us doing side arm raises with weights – :explode: – in sympathy with your SWSY workout. Yeah 60 pounds lost!

Michelle – out of the storage unit and into the basement! At least you will not have to commute to sort out your extra stuff. Can you describe the balance bar on your bosu ball for me? The ones at my gym are like an exercise ball but one side is flat, no balance. I’m trying to put a balance exercise in all of my workouts – I’m terrible at them. :laugh: Put my on one leg and I’m in trouble. Add a weight or a step and I’m done for!

Suz: I hope you’re feeling better. :flowerforyou:

Mary – your work sounds fascinating, what does “studying more polar graphing” mean?

Laura8011 – Yes, it does feel better to wake up after a healthy day.

I am reading a philosophy book that quoted Epicures – something about all pleasure is good, but some pleasures are not worth the price we pay for them, so we must always balance the pleasure and the pain. Those Greeks had it figured out. :smile:

Sissy – go Wonderwoman! :flowerforyou:

Joyce, I am so with you on the “scale hasn’t moved”. I try hard not to focus on weight, because I can’t do anything about it directly, and stay with the things I know make a difference, such as food choices, and water, and exercise, but darn it, it’s depressing when that scale doesn’t move.

Barbie, I am not surprised your class went well :flowerforyou: I wish I had been there to learn some line dances with you.

Woops, the 7 am news is on, J'boy is not in the shower yet and I still have to pack his lunch. Better "get a move on" as my dad used to say.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Over the hump and here we go with another lovely day! Happy morning for me, scale dropped another .7. I've been trying real hard this week to stay around 1250 cals. It's not easy, I do get hungry at work in the late afternoon, but yesterday when the hunger pangs struck I remembered to chant "I'm burning fat, I'm burning fat!" When I got home at 7:30 I poured a small glass of wine...found out that a little goes a LONG way on an empty stomach. :laugh:

Nancy, you had me giggling this morning about your DH's goal to have fresh radishes to snack on followed by an adorable little ":ohwell:" LOL! You might mention to him that "French Breakfast" radishes the greatest. They're about 2"-3" long and so delicious. That's the only kind I grow and I have them all season, planting a couple dozen seeds every two weeks. That'll give your DH an ongoing project. :wink: Oh yes those side arm raises with weights, mercy. :explode: I'll be saying hello to them again this morning. You're just 5 lbs from your goal, wowie!

Time's ticking away so I'd better get busy. Welcome to everyone new. Salad Sistas going strong this week! Happy Thurs everyone. :flowerforyou:

jb
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    My work, since you asked. After retiring from working as a music therapist for 32 years at a state psychiatric hospital, I knew that I would need to find a job to supplement my retirement income. I got hired at the local high school. My job basically has two parts. One is that I am the facilitator for the virtual classroom, which means that I have high school students who are taking online college courses for dual credit. The other part of my job is helping students with their math. I have a stream of students, mostly special ed but some regular, who need help with their math classes and are in and out of my room all day. This goes from PreAlgebra all the way through the high school math classes. I currently have some students who are in Stats and Trig, which I had never taken, so I am spending a fair amount of time studying to keep ahead of them. Polar graphing is done in trigonometry on a graph that is circular, and I had not done this before. Yesterday I also began learning to graph in a complex plane (imaginary numbers). Add to that I just got a new graphing calculator today, and I am trying to read the book to learn how to use it, as it is nothing like the 15 year old one that I had been using. (I purchased a TI-nspire, if you currently have students taking high level math.) Anyway, my work is challenging, ranging from trying to motivate failing prealgebra students to trying to tutor trigonometry students. I do enjoy it, and it keeps my mind very busy. I find that I even do math calculations while swimming laps in the pool!
    Hope you all have a great Thursday! Mary
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    :laugh: WOW this is a great post! So happy to find it! Im 51, lost 30 pounds and have been at a stand still not loosing any weight for 3 weeks now and very frustrated. I practice yoga twice a week and go to the gym for the elliptical about 3 times a week...I eat 1200 calories (usually less around 1000) and I drink my 8 glasses of water but I just can get over that hump and start loosing again. But I love MFP!

Thank you Barbie for starting this post...I really need this support!!!!!!!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Beautiful Thursday,

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: you have found the best place for encouragment on MFP!

Well after my one day of over indulgance on Easter:sad: I am finally back to where I was a week ago...so now I'm back on track and don't see anything in the near future to waylay me.

Yesterday here started out with an overcast day but cleared up by afternoon. Then late afternoon the winds came. When I left my office at 4:30 I could see VERY dark clouds to the south and a bit west which was where I was headed to home, but wasn't too concerned....I guess I should have been. By the time I was about 2 miles from my office the rain started and then the hail followed by the wind...it was raining/hailing so hard I was concerned the windows were going to break and I couldn't see a foot in front of me:noway: Pretty scary:noway: About 20 min later hubby called concerned about where I was because there was a tornado warning right near my office...I told him I think I already skirted the edge of it and told him what I had experienced...so I'm glad that drive home turned out as good as it did...could have been worse:ohwell: For severe weather it sure was early, usually we don't have anything like that until June...hope it's not a sign of things to come:huh:

Have you ever heard the saying "they started to believe their news / press reports", it's usually in relation to sports when a team is doing well and the press picks up on it and then they start to do poorly....well I'm trying hard not to "believe press reports" ie my hubby telling me how good I'm looking:huh: he keeps telling me my bum is looking good (smaller) and I know I still have a ways to go to get to my goal and exercise and losing pounds is the only way it will happen. It's good to hear it but I don't want to fall into the trap of "if it looks good then I don't need to continue on". I do know that I still can't wear all my clothes from 2010 and THAT IS MY TRUE GOAL:bigsmile: because I really love a lot of those clothes!

Well I'd best get going, have to finish my payroll and get it on the bosses desk.

Everyone have a great day logging food, water and exercise...We can do this:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies

I'm not weighing myself, but I have a feeling I've lost more weight :ohwell: Desperately trying to keep it even, but I just don't have an appetite right now. Things are not resolved with my s-o-b sil. I haven't seen my grandtwins since he threw me out of their house last week and I finally managed to speak to my daughter yesterday afternoon, to give my side of the story. It just means that she's stuck in the middle of it all. I could (and have) weep.

On top of that, my younger daughter moved to Germany today - having left our darling son-in-law (why do we lose the good one and get stuck with the poo one?)

All in all, I'm feeling dreadful. To try to cheer myself up yesterday, I got my hair coloured (blonde highlights) and had about six inches lopped off the length - it's shorter than I've had it in about 30 years!

I hope you are all doing well, I will catch up with you all soon.

Love
    Amanda x
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    found this on another blog - sounded good and healthy. new snack????

Cottage Cheese Ambrosia 142 calories, 20 g carbs, 0 fat, 13 g protein, 1 g fiber.

16 oz. fat free cottage cheese
    8 oz. fat free Cool Whip
    1 pkg. sugar free orange Jello mix
    1 lg. can pineapple, drained (crushed or chunks, calories based on crushed)
    1 can mandarin oranges, drained

Mix and chill for at least a few hours ... enjoy!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

The pound I lost last week did not find it's way back this week, so I am just happy with that. Only two more weeks of soccer! Then I should have more time for myself.

My son (adopted at 3, victim of assault with a deadly weapon at 16) is going through so much right now. At times he is thinking better than he ever has. At other times he is not thinking. On the ride home from family counseling he told me he wants to change his name back to his birth name. Of course he wants to do it NOW and wants us to pay for it. I tried to explain, but sometimes there is no explaining. He had already changed his Facebook page. When I calmed down I told him when he is an adult, he can do what ever he wants, but I'd rather spend my money paying for his college and fun activities that he wants to do and why he would keep the name of the man who beat him is beyond me, but in the end it is his decision. I cried last night. It just broke my heart. Now, today Facebook is back to the name we gave him. May god give me strength to stay grounded for him.

The entire year of 2011 was up and down like described above. I wish there was a cure other than time heals all wounds.

Jeannie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Amanda & Jeannie:flowerforyou: {{{Hugs}}} to both of you.

Hoping things get better for both of you.

Laura80111:smile:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HUGS to you Jeannie.
    Hope things get better.
    Hope everyone else has a good eve.Was suppose to have pt,dr was sick.Struggling with welling and throbbing due to the intense pt on tues.
    HUGS
    jabe