WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2012

Options

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    A belated Happy Easter to all who celebrated it yesterday. To those celebrating Passover - may you have a good week with family and friends.

I did OK yesterday. I ate one big good meal and had dessert for the other.

Jeannie
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Just a quick in and out for me. I tried to catch up a bit of what I missed last month. I didn't go all the way back but I got a few pages read.

Amanda - Hopefully time, some distance from the SIL and a talk with your daughter will help.

Kackie - I DO feel your pain. Did you know that apple cider vinegar will stop the burning and keep fire ant bites from festering? I am constantly getting bitten by the little monsters and if I get right inside and douse the area with vinegar immediately, the bites stop burning and I don't get the white pustules from the really bad bites. It has worked for everyone I have shared the tip with, although no one has been allergic to the bites. It might not work for you, but you could try it next time.

I have been lazy today except for a bit of garden maintenance and helping DH with a bit of tree trimming. The oak pollen is making me suffer today. At least I was feeling good while preparing for, and enjoying Easter.

Faye
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Faye: THANK you!!! I have never heard that very helpful tip. I hope that I don't get to try your solution for a long time, but I will try it next time! I now have a very swollen hand with lots of raised, red blister type bumps all over it. Not pretty.

KathyGSM: WELCOME! Glad you are here and look foward to getting to know you!

Bye again! Kackie
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hello My Friends:

Hope you are all well. I have been packing most of the weekend; I got a lot done, actually and yes, I am really purging junk too :laugh:

Kackie - Glad that you found your dress :smile:

articknitter - Good luck with your concert :flowerforyou:

Jane - Sounds like you are doing so well, so glad to hear that :wink:

jellyfishjen - Loved your Easter cartoon. I actually laughed out loud, thanks :laugh:

fitz1191 - I have never heard of a deep tissue massage :noway:

Barb - You have some good words of wisdom there, I hope Amanda's daughter is not being hurt by this jerk :mad:

Michele - I laughed when I read about you and how you reacted with your "treasures" as I have been doing the same thing :noway: I have to keep telling myself I don't need it if I have not used it for the last 8 years :laugh:

Karen - Congrats on your win :flowerforyou:

Yvonne - Grandkids are wonderful, but they DO tire you out :noway:

Sissy - Welcome back, glad to see you :smile:

Kathy - Hope to see you regularly:wink:

chica23ck - Just by posting, you have already joined. Welcome. :smile:

Well, better go. Talk to you later. Take care,

Love, Cathy xx
  • janecl
    janecl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi, Barb, I would love to be on this thread, too. I am 57 years old and had double knee replacements in Dec. I lost 56 lbs before surgery and want to continue. I am layed off in winter and will be going back to work Monday. I had maintained my loss but the last 3 weeks have been difficult. I would like to do the following goals for April:
    1. Work out minimum of 3 times a week at fitness center.
    2. Drink my 6-8 glasses of water
    3. Get as much extra walking in as I can
    Good luck to everyone on reaching their goals for the month!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Nancy - good idea about pushing the icing thru a sieve (I don't have a ricer). I never thought of that! Thanks

For those who are on facebook, can you tell me how you can view someone else's timeline? I can't seem to figure that out

Barb - I've found (or maybe it's just my imagination, but I don't think so) that if I have a lot of caffeine at dinnertime or later, then I have a hard time if not impossible time falling asleep, so I'm with ya. Thanks for the suggestion of the noodles. No, for me it isn't too late for this year. Jessica is coming here this weekend (she worked last weekend) so we'll be celebrating this weekend.

Did 20 minutes of yoga this morning, then went to Wal Mart and got M&M's on sale. I just realized that I usually use the mini-M&M's, but maybe these will work. If anything, we can eat them (I've already opened a bag for Vince...not that he really needs it) then did an hour of extremepump. Don't really understand it, but I was really sweating! Then stopped at the Salvation Army, found a shirt that I liked and it fit, so I bought it. then went to order Jessica's Easter baskets (and took the chocolate bunnies, wine, and cat treats to be put into the baskets), stopped at another store to see what they have. I got a Christmas shirt for Jessica which was REALLY expensive -- I paid 33 cents! Stopped at the Y but the guy I wanted to see wasn't there, then practice bowled 4 games. A while ago the bowling alley got new pins and I took 20 of the old ones. You may remember me asking about ways to use them for crafts. Well, I cleaned them up (as much as I could) and I think we're going to make up certificates to give to each of the bowlers. Tomorrow I'll do a Jackie Warner Personal Training DVD. It's been so long that I'm not sure if it's more aerobic or weight. Guess I'll find out.

I'm planning to make a tunnel of fudge cake for Jessica tomorrow night. She liked that when I made it for her birthday. I'm also going to make a pineapple angel food cake. You know what, I'm not going to bother with the bunny cake this year. Two cakes is enough. Jessica can take home the rest of the tunnel of fudge cake, and I can give some of the pineapple angelfood cake to the bowling alley and some to the Y. Yup, that's what I'll do.

Karen - congrats on winning the fruit basket! I love to get fruit baskets!

Welcome everyone who is new! This is a very supportive group. It's great to read that people are getting back on the bandwagon

I can't explain this, but for breakfast this monring I had some barley (I had some that I wanted to finish up). Boy, did that ever fill me up!

This Wed. is the last time Newcomers bowling league meets. I don't think we'll do the summer, but start up again in the fall. One of the ladies wants to have an end-of-season party at her house. They're planning on the brats, burgers, and beer. I'm thinking that I'll bring shrimp and some veggies that go on a burger -- lettuce, I'll slice up tomatoes and onions, pickles. I have no idea what would go well with brats.

Off to watch DWTS! Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in for tonight. The weekend flew by. Easter was a nice day. I had a brunch and tried to keep things healthy. Today I really feel better about my choices. Got rid of lots of the Easter stuff. Got a busy week ahead but will keep to my plans!
    Great to read all your posts.

Have a good day!
    Sally
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cathys01 I have only had a couple of these it's lots of pressure if you run your hand over your muscles some times you feel bumps and it gives a tingly sharp pain there is clump if you will put constant pressure on it and you can feel it kinda melt away then it flushes out of your system it can be painful but beneficial especially if you are trying to build muscle So I have been told by many massage therapists which I am not Usually I go for the relaxing kind but I knew I had alot of scar tissue kinda build up in my muscles from breaking down the tissue to build more thru strength training This time it was a bit rough I actually asked my husband to see if I had bruises on my back lol I did not

Hope you all had a great easter we deffinately did Grankids and Kids were over played all day ate good had strawberry short cake made with splenda was delish

Welcome to the newbies see you all soon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kackie, I still think of you skiing in Montana so it's hard to be thinking of you planting a garden now :laugh:

:bigsmile: Barb, I gave up coffee and all caffeine over three years ago and I think I sleep better because of it....I shudder to think of what would happen if I had a cup of coffee.

:cry: Yvonne, the dog fight sounds scary and sad....I'm so sorry that happened during your holidays.

:flowerforyou: Sissy, it's good to have you back, better late than never.

:cry: :cry: :cry: today I had a bit of a pigout with raisins and walnuts......I guess they will join the long list of foods that are not allowed in my house (peanut butter, peanuts, cashews, yogurt, cereal, bread, ice cream are some of the others):laugh:

:flowerforyou: it was sunny and warmer today so I got to work in the yard but wearing a down vest and a wool hat :laugh: :laugh: I spent a lot of the day practicing dances so I can substitute for one of the line dance teachers on Wednesday. Dancing is a whole lot easier than teaching

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Wow such beautiful inspiring people here and so interesting to read about other areas.

Someone please tell me what is brats? Obviously something you eat. We call naughty children brats.

I think or hope I am getting over this pneumonia. Had to work a full day at the studio today and I got through it. Very tired now but always tired after a full day and I don't think I am any more tired. Not adding exercise to my day yet but am starting to be able to control my eating. Not so much comfort eating. It's a shame I don't have the energy to exercise as due to work I stay in the city for the week in my daughters tiny cosy studio unit. It is right in the middle of Sydney city and it's great walking around the harbour. Also I work at Sydney dance company which entitles me to free classes. I like to do stretch or ballet which i haven't done for such a long time. My daughter (20) has been away on holidays returns tomorrow to her frantic life. I quite like staying in her unit feeling young and free again. So after I finish defrosting her freezer (things a mother does) I am going to bed early and watching tv.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great Tues to you all.Good to see some people return who left for awhile.
    Hubby has a dr appt today,so switched my pt this week,sure I will be confused all week.
    Got cold her,35 this am .Crazy Chicago weather.80`s in mar,frost in April.
    Enjoy reading the posts.Welcome any new people.This is an amazing group.
    HUGS
    jane
  • margaretat
    Options
    As I think about the month of April I'm a bit more positive having taken this step to join MFP. I've been talking about losing some more weight for quite some time and I'm hoping this month to make some progress. With everything becoming so green and the world waking up from a not so bad winter my outlook on life is pretty good. There will be some challenging weekends this month but I just have to stay focussed and away from the chocolate store that as far as I'm concerned is the best in the world. Hope everyone's day goes well and that goals are becoming more clear.
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Hello Ladies!! We got back Sunday night from a wonderful family trip to the Outer Banks of NC! It was so much fun to get away and to spend time with our two children at the beach. The got along remarkably well and enjoyed spending the week on scooters and playing in the sand. I am home alone for the first time in 10 days. It feels good. Tomorrow, I'm back to subbing.

I didn't do that great with my diet. I won't weigh myself until the weekend. Refuse to let it get me down. Will try to read back over all I missed, this board moves so quickly.

Still reading "The Insulin Resistant Diet". It isn't a book to read as much as a resource book of what to eat and NOT eat. I'm trying out the approach starting this week. The basic concept is to always team complex carbs with protein. No more than 30 carbs at a meal and always with 14 grams of protein. I'm going to stop counting calories as much as counting my carbs. I know it's my blood sugar that is driving my weight gain and cravings, so I am going to focus on that first. I have also starting using a salad plate for all meals. If it doesn't fit, it's too much. I think it was Kackie who was asking about the book? Look like your blood sugar is behaving!! Horray!!

Miss the ocean and no schedule. I grew up on the beach so it always makes me think about my Mom. It was so relaxing.

Missed you all! :flowerforyou:
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello and happy Tuesday - in the sunshine here. :smile:

We had a lovely time at the cabin over the weekend. Saturday night was "opening night" at the local restaurant and we enjoyed the food and the live music. Sunday was a sunny day and we spent as much time as possible outside reading and chatting. DH and I both got sunburns! :noway: Woke up on Monday am to find out the pump had stopped in the night and we had no water. Woops. That means no toilet and no coffee. Thank goodness we could pack up and come home, planning to bring tools and more time to find & solve the problem on our next trip.

Michelle, how’s the storage unit clean-out going? Do you feel like an archeologist discovering your family history?

I might just try the overnight oatmeal too. I like my porridge for breakfast.

Wow, Judy, real chickens for Easter! That would make an impression at show-and-tell. :happy:

Barbie, 45 seconds of running is fantastic! I do 1 minute runs followed by 2 minutes of walking. 140 lunges? Ah, I get it – 70 on each side, right? At the gym I sometimes do lunges with my foot on a bosu-ball. I have terrible balance, so it’s a challenge to keep myself upright as well as forward on one foot. :laugh:

“Happy Easter, don’t sit on your keester.”:laugh: Oh, JB, very funny. Sit is just what DH and I did on Easter Sunday – sat in the sun with books and enjoyed the view of the lake. We did our time in the gym yesterday, though, so it’s a balanced life.

Barbara, I often lead prayers in church (Anglican) and the words in the Book of Alternative Services or the more traditional Book of Common Prayer are so beautiful that I seldom stray from them. Bottom line – if we speak from our hearts, in faith, the right words will come.

JipsyJudy, I like the idea of a dog friendly outdoor café at Easter time - also the idea of corned beef salad.

Barb, your hike sounds like fun, and the payoff was a yummy Easter meal.

Karen, welcome back to the classroom. :flowerforyou: Hope you had a super spring break. What do you teach? Is it your school district that’s running the workout contest?

Kackie, I am 5’1” and I have the opposite problem when dress shopping – everything is too long. :ohwell: Good to know you found the right dress in the end. Fire ants? Yikes.

Robin, a 20 minute kettle bell workout in the morning! Wow. :explode: Kettle bells kill me.

Woops, the morning news is on the radio and I had better get J'boy and the rest of the family on the road to work.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just marking a spot for today....had a long weekend ...and the confession is that those bunnies got me:sad:

Will try to catch up on the reading of what everyone did last weekend some time today.

Have a great day all.

Laura80111:smile:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Michelle - Timeline is the new home page on Facebook. So, if you go to some one's profile you see it. Not everyone has it yet and it is not very popular. I don't like it at all. My account was switched over a couple of weeks ago. It's also what use to be your wall. Have fun with it. Jeannie
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Brats is pronounced 'brots' and is a frank or sausage you eat in a bun (or not).
    Wish I had one right now!
    I had eggs for Easter breakfast, cadbury eggs at 210 cals. But it fit into my daily 1200 so it was my splurge. :)
    Got control over late night snacking for the first time ever, and am enjoying my new hobby. I always knew how to crochet but didn't really do anything with it. Now with little miss Sophie to make cute things for, I am learning how to read patterns that I get from the library.
    Spent time on the beach this weekend, watching the clammers and cute little snowy plovers. Looking for Beachglass and things from foreign lands. Found a Russian cola bottle a few weeks ago and some Japanese water bottles. DH found huge styrofoam float they use in Japan. These things are washing up on our NW beaches from the tsunami already.
    A lovely day to all my new friends, may everyone find some peace in your life today.
    Eileen
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Jen - Brats are actually Bratwurst, which you may have heard of. They are sausages which most people grill, but can also be panfried or cooked in liquid or beer. Here are some pictures of what they look like at the store. http://www.johnsonville.com/lines/brats.html

I hope everyone is doing well. I had a busy but fun Easter, and am now settling back into reality. This weekend I will stay home and do housework and hopefully get some flowers and a tree planted. (We bought a blue spruce on Saturday.) I have tried to grow a blue spruce since we moved here, but this will be try #3. My husband says it is the last shot. The first one did well for several years, but died over the winter unexpectedly. I am a little odd in that I name my trees that I plant, and his name was Hank. I still miss him. Last year I bought a very small (2 feet tall) replacement named Hank Jr. (His nickname was Bocephus, like Hank Williams Jr). We had a horrid drought last summer, and he didn't make it. So this year I have found a large (6 feet tall) replacement. I may call him Hank the sequel, but I will see what he tells me when he is planted. Anyway, I hope that he is a hearty lad. I also would like a weeping willow, and have killed 2 so far. (Gracie and Gracie 2). Anyway, I will wait another year before I decide to try that again.

Barb, I agree that the powdered creamer is nasty. In some convenience stores, I don't know if it is old or what, but it doesn't even mix in and just kind of blobs up and gags me. I always say I will never take it again. Time will tell if that is true.

Everyone have a wonderfully springy Tuesday! Mary
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Another good Tuesday morning here in Portland, a little rain on the way perhaps, but we sure had some beautiful sunshine over the weekend. I want to get over to the park again this morning to take some photos of the trilliums in bloom. There are miles of trails at this particular park which meander through the forest, and oh my goodness the size of the trilliums are outta this world. Thousands of them, white, pink and purple.

Barb, I'm in Oregon - maybe we're neighbors! I'm quite a ways out in SE, down towards Oregon City. I see you have doggies, too :wink:

Nancy, sunburn! :noway: I got a little of that, too. Felt so darned good. It's fine that you sat on your keester on Easter :laugh: Glad you had such a nice time.

SWSY routine went well yesterday morning, 45 minutes of it which included work with weights, then crunches, push ups, lunges, etc, and the side arm raises with weights. That's been a difficult exercise for me from the git go. :grumble: Yesterday they weren't quite as bad.

Off now for morning Yoga, and watering the seedling trays, figure out something for dinner then get my behind to the park for some photography and a nice long hike.

Good day to all, my Salad Sistas! Make 'em big, make 'em tasty! Drinkie your wa-wa! :drinker:

jb
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hi ladies, just a big WARNING, I fell victum toa phishing scam looking to catch passwords, it was a phoney e-mail sent by windows hotmail, it said it would shut my account down in 24 hours. WATCH OUT, I changed my password here, From now on, please if any postings from me show up, with links or somthing seemingly needworthy, don't touch it. please report it to the people of this site, i am going there now just in case.