WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2012

Options

Replies

• jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    found this on another blog - sounded good and healthy. new snack????

Cottage Cheese Ambrosia 142 calories, 20 g carbs, 0 fat, 13 g protein, 1 g fiber.

16 oz. fat free cottage cheese
    8 oz. fat free Cool Whip
    1 pkg. sugar free orange Jello mix
    1 lg. can pineapple, drained (crushed or chunks, calories based on crushed)
    1 can mandarin oranges, drained

sounds yummy I have the cottage cheese and the mandarin oranges, will pick up the rest at store. Trying to get more fruit in, had cantaloupe and apples, I have 2 banana's going to try with peanut butter in my next batch of refrigerator oatmeal. Well I am awaiting my massage therapist to get here and take all the kinks out. \Sherry
    Mix and chill for at least a few hours ... enjoy!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I read all the posts and wish I had time to respond.....but I have two phone calls to make before bedtime and have to finish packing for our weekend trip---we leave before 9 AM tomorrow right after we drop the pets off to be boarded.

:heart: dog walking and weight training done today :bigsmile:

:heart: hugs, Barbie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,351 Member
    Options
    surfpinescoll - I enjoy exercising in the water. One thing j find is that I work harder, it doesn't feel like I'm working...that is...until the next day! That was so nice of you to take your friend. It's also good to exercise with a buddy, makes the time fly by faster.

rpphillip - so sorry for your loss.

Robin - sure hope your hubby is better real soon.

Joyce - my scale hasn't moved in years. But my body fat percentage has gone down, and I am willing to bet that yours has too.

Nancy - search on amazon for "bosu with stability bar" and you will see a pic of it. Gee....I wonder if there are any other bosu DVD's. I only have one by Rob Glick, it came with the bosu. Gotta check that out. My balance is absolutely terrible. We do exercises in the water where you are supposed to stand on the noodle. There is no way I can do that in the water without holding on!

The "side arm raises", do you mean lateral raises? I can never go above 5lb weights and still keep good form whenever I do those.

Mary - what interesting work you do! I have to hand it to you.

kat - welcome!

Amanda (((big hug)))) SMILE:)

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • lisag0328
    lisag0328 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ugh..hoping to find a different outlet for this stress! Was doing good until tonite. After dinner I ate 2 peanut butter and honey sandwiches on white bread no less. My daughter & I are moving into a new place the end of the month and i've overwhelmed myself into the frozen-like-a-deer-in-headlights-eat-eat-EAT! I hate this, I just feel paralyzed. I weighed in 2 lbs down this am and have been hungry all day. Drinking 32-42 oz's of water for the last couple days. My blood pressure is down since I started wearing my CPAP at night, but all that good goes out the window when I start thinking about everything I need to get done. HELP!!!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hello - don't know where the days are flying to :frown: :noway:

Don't know what's the matter with me I just can't seem to get myself in the right frame of mind. I intend to log food exercise keep in touch with you all but I get home from work and I am sooo tired I have my evening meal and fall asleep. I have no energy whatsoever once it gets to 8pm.

It's staying lighter longer and we have been going on later dog walks but my energy levels are zero everything is a chore. I hate feeling like this!

Maybe I need a holiday?

Anyway I hope you are all doing well, I haven't had time to catch up on all the posts yet so hugs to those who need it and :drinker: well done to all the losers (I wish I was one of you :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ) prayers for those who are ill.

A belated Happy Easter to all my good friends hope you didn't eat too many chocolate eggs!

Viv xx
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    After a liquid only diet yesterday, I am beginning to feel like myself. My digestion has settled and most of the back and shoulder pain is gone. My energy level is still very low but my entire house needs a good deep cleaning, so I've been cleaning for a bit, then resting for a longer bit. Got the kitchen done yesterday. Its a gorgeous Spring day so I plan to take the girls for a walk first, then work on the den off and on the rest of the day.. If I DO end up having to have surgery, I want to recuperate a clean house!
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies,

Friday and the sun is shining.

Today is my last day at work...I'm feeling relieved because I hate long drawn out endings, but also apprehensive because I don't handle isolation very well. Solitude in measured doses, yes. Stuck in the house not able to walk for six weeks? :sad: Yikes. You will certainly hear from me.

JB – another .7 is fantastic. I will tell DH about the French Radishes. I give him a :ohwell: face because he is not usually interested in gardening, except for keeping the grass under knee high (the neighbours complain) and the moss from growing on the roof. Suddenly…radishes? In a cold frame? I :heart: that man.

Whoah Mary! Tutoring high school math! :flowerforyou: I have to study to keep up with my grade 6’s! We are just learning to graph on the Cartesian plane using positive/negative numbers. I don’t think I’d be up to complex plane (imaginary numbers) but I like the concept.

Katiejarr – welcome.

Laura, I think you should give your reporter (that would be hubby) :love: a big hug and tell him to keep sharing the good news!

Amanda, a hair cut and colour sounds like the best therapy. :flowerforyou: I hope you can sort things out with your daughter soon. Neutral territory to see the twins?

Michelle – I see it – bosu ball with stability bar. I have tried lunges and squats on the ball side and do planks with my hands or elbows on the flat site. Now you’ve got me thinking about other ways to built it into my routine.

Lisag – peanut butter and honey sandwiches should be toasted! :happy: Take one step at a time, pack one box at a time, focus on the task at hand. You can’t do it all at once!

Suz, if you DO end up having to have surgery, you should hire a housekeeper!

The clock has chimed seven, and I must rise and shine and wake the family. J'boy has been :grumble: impossibly grouchy the last few days. Hard to live with. On Fridays, though, I take him "out for breakfast" at the Tim Horton's (such a Canadian thing) drive through on our way to school, so I hope that cheers him up. He's going to see "The Hunger Games" movie tonight, that might help too. At least he'll be out of the basement and away from the computer games.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • walker001
    walker001 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    For the rest of April it is to stay onplan and keep up my activity level and will be getting our bikes out soon so I see bike riding in my future.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Once again, at work and just breezing through to say HAPPY FRIDAY!! I am so ready for it this week! Mary
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning Friday! Ok, where did the sun go? Anyone have a little extra they could send this way? :bigsmile:

You know, I've read through the recent posts and realize so many of us are struggling...it sure can be frustrating along this journey when emotional eating creeps in and seems to force us off track. All of the focus and hard work goes out the window once in awhile, and to make matters worse, guilt comes knocking when we don't eat so well, which in turn causes despair. Then of course when we're feeling desperate we tend to want to medicate with food. I've been in this situation so many times along the way, it's an utterly helpless feeling and maddening, to boot. :grumble:

I'm one of those emotional eaters and have spent some time researching how to fix the problem. "Feeding my brain" with plenty of Omega-3s, plus heaps of potassium-rich foods, and lots of water (!) seems to really, really help keep me in balance. I came upon a lot of info about Omega-3s preventing mental health problems. Of course I didn't want to admit I had a "problem", but I know I have tendencies to be obsessive-compulsive. Since walnuts are high in Omega-3s, I hopped right to and began including them on a daily basis since I just love them mixed with yogurt and fruit. I count out a handful every morning, one little, two little....twelve little halves. :smile:

My creation of Salad Sistas Challenge was to encourage boosting our potassium levels which help keep us feeling good. Honestly, I never realized how much our mental state is affected by the foods we eat. I've learned so much over the last year and a half, and boy do I ever feel better. :wink:

Oh me oh my, I just glanced at the clock. :noway: Time to get rolling. Have a great day everyone!

:flowerforyou: jb
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Love Fridays!

lisag0328- I sooo love PB & Honey Sandwiches:love: when I was pregnant with Son #1 every night before bed I had an open faced PB & Honey but put it on wheat bread...I'm sure it helped me sleep at night:wink:

Viv- so sorry to hear your energy is low, I find that when I feel that way if I force myself:wink: to go do some exercise I really do feel better later and it seems to set the tone for the next day too.

Heather-so sorry you are still not feeling 100%, but having a clean house always lifts the spirits:flowerforyou:

Nancy- we will look forward to hearing from you after your surgery and hoping that your recovery time isn't as boring as you are anticipating:flowerforyou:

Barbie- have a good weekend:flowerforyou: away.

I had another NSV this AM as I was able to move the hooks over to the final spot on my bra:tongue: next NSV in that area will be all those bras that are the next size down, and many of them are new from 2010 when I lost the weight last time...and this time I'm determined will be the LAST time:bigsmile:

The scale always looks so good on Fridays and then I find myself not being as diligent over the weekend:grumble: , well this weekend I'm planning on being better and I will do this:wink:

Everyone have a great day, let's keep up the good work and exercise, log our food and drink plenty of water:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    JB, thank you for the tip about Omega 3s. I needed that information. I have a bottle of Omega 3 capsules sitting on my kitchen counter, and I never take the things, because they're hard to swallow. I will have to work on that.

Laura, great NSV on the bra hook! I need to lose fat in exactly the same place. I bought a couple of tank tops with built in bras for our February trip to the Sea of Cortez, but before I wear them again, I need to get rid of the "muffin tops" that pooch out over the arm holes!

Happy weekend, everybody!
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Susan – I know you are counting the minutes until you find out what the heck is going on with you digestive system! I hope you can avoid stressing too much in the mean time.

Mary – Oh my, you are my math hero. Hooray for good teachers! My Mom was one.

Amanda and Jeannie – There is a gif that I wish I could find of a great big hug with huge long arms. I'd like to send it to you both.

Nancy – I hear you on the housebound thing. Do you like jigsaw puzzles or needlework? Hopefully you have some varied interests that can help you keep sane!

Michele – A bosu ball with stability bar... I'll have to look into that too.

LisaG – Oh yeah, pb and honey – yum. I prefer mine almond butter and wheat toast but it's all good!

Viv – I know what you mean about the lethargy but if you make yourself do it you know you'll feel better. I didn't get much exercise in last month and my physical being and mental attitude suffered for it. Body and soul are feeling much better now that I'm back at the gym.

Jb – we have some sun I could lend you and oddly cool pleasant weather. I have only had the ac on one day so far this spring. I don't recall the last time that happened (north FL here). Last night I even had cold feet in bed and woke up to find DH had put on a t-shirt in the night to keep warm. Weird, just weird but I'll take it!

I'm with you on the big salad thing. I frequently have one for dinner. Last night it was fresh garden greens, green onions, kohlrabi, radishes, red pepper, mushrooms, carrots with salmon on top – yummy.

Laura – Good news on the bras!

Well, it's time for me to go check on the garden and then hit the gym before the crowds show up. Hopefully I will have some open eggplant flowers that I can hand pollinate. The bees may do the job, but I want insurance!

Faye
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful welcome! Wondering if any of you have any suggestions on remedies for tinnitus (ringing in the ears)...Ive had it for about 3 months and its awful!

Anyway my daughter is in town for her Spring break from college and I have been enjoying her company and I even got her on MFP (although she really doesn't need it:smile: ) but she thinks its fun to count calories with me and my hubby!

Went to the gym this morning and did my 30 mins on the elliptical and about 20 mins with free weights. Sticking to my 1200 cals but still stuck at 140 pounds and have been for 3 weeks and counting...scale just not moving :frown:

But I'm not giving up!

I hope everyone has a great friday!!!!! So happy to be part of the group!
  • gogidget
    gogidget Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Happy April!!!
    I will continue my workouts, and inorporate a new workout Video that just came in mail today...The Bar Method, Change Your Body. Excitede about that...heard great things.
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had a weird week. Took a day off on Monday so I should have been relaxed and ready to go, but the boss really set me off on Wednesday ...the good news was I went for a walk instead of reaching for the office candy dish. :laugh: to the ladies having trouble getting motivated to exercise...I tell myself it is just a walk or just a bike ride and I only have to do it for 30 minutes, usually once I get started it gets easier. Hoping to get some mulch on the flower beds this weekend...still too early in NYS to plant annuals, but oh the temptation is there with the unusually warm weather we have had. Enjoy the weekend
    :heart: Jen
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Well it was afternoon before I realized today was Friday the 13th. Today has been the best day I've had all week. Spent the morning outdoors. It was the mild, calm kind of Spring day that always makes my heart smile. Had fish for lunch and vegetables only for supper. Hopefully, I will feel equally as good tomorrow as it is my youngest great-nephew's 1st birthday. He is the happiest baby I have ever been around... ALWAYS smiling. His mom (my niece) has planned him a milk and cookies party. I am helping her by making sugar cookies with the recipe I got from my MiL when I first married into the Morris family. This is one time I am not even REMOTELY tempted to taste the dough!

152798_1374.jpg
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for sharing!
  • AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It is Saturday here already....... I have 4 days off and then back to work. I am a cook at a private school, meals are provided for me but I don't eat it. I opt for a salad sandwich instead at lunch time.
    Exercise is great for me at the moment... (had a few bad days of no energy and junk food) Back on track... yay!!!
    Did a 5km walk this morning with my daughter (great company) and gym yesterday.
    I am going to try stuffed courgettes tonight with pumpkin and onions and cheese. Something new to try.

Hope everyone has a great weekend
    Hugs and smiles
    Ali.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,351 Member
    Options
    How appropriate - I loggged in on Friday the 13th to page 13! Of course, by the time this can get posted, I bet we'll be on page 14.

Did an hour of deep water exercise. First stopped at the Humane Society and dropped off our aluminum (they recycle it), then went to KMart to get the cookies I promised Vince, exercised, then went to a healthy cooking demo. Was a bit disappointed, I expected more so I left early. Jessica is here so we took her cats to the vet, got dinner ready (just have to broil the lobster), then took the prescription for the Lantus and syringes to CVS for Jessica (I was afraid they'd close). Tomorrow I'll do yoga and then stop at one food store to pick up Jessica's baskets.

Lisa and Nancy - my hubby likes peanut butter and bacon on toast, or else peanut butter and potato chips. Me? I don't care for peanut butter. So when I go to the healthy cooking demos or somewhere, I just tell them that I have a nut sensitivity.

Remember I worked on the updated directory for our neighborhood (that was like months ago). In mid-Feb. I gave a flash drive with all the info on it to our president who then gave it to the vice president. From what I understand, his wife's mother died and so the directory has been put on the backburner while they sorted things out. Honestly, she was supposed to do this years ago and never got to it so that's why she asked me. So what's happening now? That I don't know. I do know that one of the respondants wrote saying that they didn't get one last year (well, we haven't in the last 4 years), so I feel I should at least call him and let him know that it's not me who's holding things up.

Nancy - good thoughts being sent your way. Can't wait to hear from you telling us that everything's just fine.

So glad so many people are checking out the bosu with the stability bar. It's pretty neat, even balance-challenged me can use it.

gogidget - love your name!

Suz - how I envy ypou not wanting to taste that cookie dough, only I really don't envy the reason why you don't want to/. Happy birthday to your grand nephew

I don't believe it...I'm ready to post this and we're still on page 13! amazing!

Had some ginger cookies tonight. I must get them out of my house before I finish them all up. I know...I'll take them to this gal at the Y, she likes ginger cookies. Then they'll be out of my house.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele