Walking isn't an exercise?

Options
Walking is my favorite exercise, and I can stick with it more than anything, but my husband says that "walking" isn't an exercise. He says in order to lose any weight I have to get my heart rate up and really burn those calories. Is this true? I mean I am sure more strenuous exercise will burn more calories but if I have something that works and can stick too it is that a bad thing? I have Fibromyalgia and Neuropathy on one side due to some previous traumas so I can't do P90X (although I did try),
and I really do not try to use these conditions as an excuse to not exercise. Does anyone have an opinion on what he says? Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• krisbeeler
    Options
    I lost about 40 lbs. just walking and staying within my calorie limits. It took about a year.
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    and he thinks walking doesn't elevate your heart rate?! of course it does! walking up a hill can sometimes leave you out of breath, still counts! if you're comfortable doing it then do it as much as you can, if you think you can go a bit faster then try some power-walking.

Methinks your hubby is being slightly demeaning when he should be encouraging you. I've had back problems and symptoms similar to fibro as a result and I know how hard it can be to want to do anything except lie in bed so you go for it!
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    walking is an exercise. in fact there are several weight loss programs centered around walking (I think one is actually even called walk the weight off). while you will burn more calories if you get your heart rate up higher (aka jogging/running) (and continue to burn for longer after you've stopped exercising) walking IS in the mfp databse, and it IS exercise.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    oh well.. walking is absolutely an exercise. When I was in the south pacific for a month I didn't do my usual routine but I kept track of what I ate - all I did was walk around when on vacation and I lost 5 pounds in a month. Sure you'll burn more if your heart rate is up but anytime you are moving you are buring energy.
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    Keep walking. Do speeds at intervals, like power walk then slow down, jog if you can then slow down, it is good to get the heart rate up, but anything that is physical helps you burn calories, so keep it up!!!
  • gwynb041109
    gwynb041109 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you walk at a fast pace, you will get your heart rate up. Do you have a heart rate monitor? I would suggest getting one. You will see your heart rate does go up meaning you are burning more calories :)
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Is he saying this while sitting on the couch? Walking IS excercise, and weight loss can be done with NO excercise..
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You will absolutely lose weight walking as long as you stick to your calorie goals!!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely an exercise.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    First time I ever lost weight was by walking 2 miles 4x a week. I also watched what I ate. You do what you can stick with and what you enjoy. Never mind what anyone else thinks.
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Walking is exercise! And if it something you like and or can stick to than that's really all that matters. Stick with it!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It sure is! Especially if you have medical problems or are really heavy. I lost 20lbs just walking and changing the types of foods I ate.

But beware. Walking can be a gateway to other, more strenuous exercises.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Walking IS exercise! Any time you can get OUT and get MOVING you are doing great things for yourself! :) I love walking...walking slowly might cause it to take a lot longer for you to lose the pounds, but I like to power walk.... and I get my heart rate up for SURE! You just keep watching what you eat (b/c my trainer says that weight-loss is 80% what you EAT and only 20% exercise) and keep moving as much as you can, and you will do great! :smile:
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Walking is absolutely exercise! If you can't walk real fast, the calorie burn will be lower, but you are still using your muscles actively. You have to work at things that fit your needs. My joints give me issues, so while I like Zumba and Bollywood kind of things, walking is the best thing for me to do regularly.
  • WbrandonT
    WbrandonT Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Look here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=walking+an+exercise

PLENTY of people say it is an exercise. What is your pace and how long do you walk?
  • lisag2007
    lisag2007 Posts: 130
    Options
    Walking is fantastic exercise. I have disc problems in my back and two years ago I lost 25 pounds by walking and doing various strength training exercises. I also cycled at the gym or with my hubby on our bicycles. It took about 7 months for me to lose it. One thing I could suggest is try to do interval training with your walks. Speed up for a minute, slow down for a minute....do this throughout your walk. It really works. After I had my son, it took me 3 months to lose the 25 pounds I had left after giving birth and I did it all with walking on the treadmill, doing inclines and intervals. Good luck, I know you can do it.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Walking absolutely counts as exercise. Of course higher activity levels are going to burn more calories in a shorter amount of time, but low-moderate level activity still counts!

Even the CDC says that walking counts: http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Yes it's an exercise...silly hubby! How fast are you walking? Enough to get your heart rate up pretty good? As others have suggested, I would get a heart rate monitor and try to get in your target zone for max calorie burn.
  • Thin_Perfection110
    Options
    Walking burns calories, yes it is an exercise. It's one of the few I can stick to as well because I HATE running and I can't find anyone to play tennis/basketball or anything else with me. I can't afford the gym. Lots of people lose weight with walking.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Walking increases your heart rate and is defiantly exercise. More importantly you enjoy the walking. Keep it up :-)