Walking isn't an exercise?

Options

Replies

• hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    Walking is absolutely an exercise. If you can pick up the pace and get your heart rate up, it would be more beneficial, but even if it is a stroll, if you do it for an hour you're going to burn some calories. Definitely would suggest an HRM, as so many others have suggested, in addition to a healthy diet.

I have severe back problems, which is one of the reasons I work so hard to keep my weight where it should be. I fractured my back nearly thirty years ago, when I was young and thought I was immortal, and my idiocy has come back to haunt me. I used to run all the time, but I can't anymore. Before I found out that the stepper works perfectly for me because the range of motion is different from running or walking, my main cardio exercise was walking, miles upon miles upon miles...

Your husband is mistaken.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    He says in order to lose any weight I have to get my heart rate up and really burn those calories. Is this true?

Whether walking is exercise depends on factors such as your weight, fitness level, and the rate at which and the distance you walk. Walking is not an exercise for me. One summer I walked home from work every day after work, a distance of over two miles and I didn't lose an ounce. I wasn't walking to lose weight, but for pleasure, so it didn't matter, but I did notice.

Productive exercise for weight loss involves elevating your heart rate for an extended period. Do you have a heart rate monitor? My heart rate never goes up as much walking as compared with running or working on the elliptical trainer. I'd have to race walk to get a benefit which I'm not about to do. I live in a city and I'd look like an idiot. Plus, it's awkward.

Are you losing weight (with the understanding that most of weight loss is calorie reduction)?
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise! Personally if that was my husband I would laughingly tell him to shut his pie hole and just watch it work.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I added weights to my exercise list a couple of months ago because walking worked for the first 50, but the other 50 REALLY love me :o) I still do my cardio, but am loving me some weights now :o)
    Walking is exercise. Getting up and moving regularly is more important than running on a treadmill. Everyone should do this.

It's not high-intensity exercise, and I have seen a lot of people get to the point in their weight loss journey where walking alone doesn't really do much for them anymore... But walking is indeed important!! :)
  • Back2Becca
    Options
    Walking is definatly exercise. My dr told me just go for a walk it will help with exercise and mental clarity.
  • itreycee
    itreycee Posts: 22
    Options
    My pace is usually about 3 or 4 mph and up to 10mph when I jog. I usually average about 2 miles when I do walk and can knock out 2 miles in about 15/20 min.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It is most definitely an exercise! My husband and I have been walking our dog 3x a day at around a 4 - 4.5 mph pace which is a real darn good pace. Add in the hills and uneven terrain we walk on and you bet my heart is pumping and I'm working up a sweat! Plus I have to take twice as many steps as he does just to keep up so that helps.

Keep on walking.!
  • itreycee
    itreycee Posts: 22
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement and advice. I will keep up my walking and I have been known to jog at times!! I really wanted the opinions of people who do it and lose weight doing it. I get discouraged sometimes and really need to put on blinders to what other people think....it works for me and I enjoy it. Thanks again for all the great responses!!
  • Back2Becca
    Options
    Methinks your hubby is being slightly demeaning when he should be encouraging you. I've had back problems and symptoms similar to fibro as a result and I know how hard it can be to want to do anything except lie in bed so you go for it!
    [/quote]

I totally agree with this! :flowerforyou:
  • Momma1213
    Momma1213 Posts: 56
    Options
    It totally counts as exercise. The two things that I found to help me in keeping track are two apps on my phone. I have the walkdroid for a pedometer and I have a heart rate app too. I walk just shy of two miles a day and it does get the rate up if you walk fast!
  • k_sharp
    k_sharp Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That sounds like my husband but I just do what I want... I do weights and other things as well but sometimes I would just rather walk. His idea of working out is running 10 miles or spending two plus hours a day at the gym. Just do what works for you!
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't count walking as exercise, even if I do laps of the soccer field whilst my child plays. Your mileage may vary, but I sort of agree with this article:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-04-14/health/chi-walking-is-it-exercise-20110414_1_fitness-expert-exercise-program-miles-per-hour-burns

Cheers,

Sean
  • ceejay3101
    ceejay3101 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey all I did was walk, starting at 20 minutes a day which puffed me out and I was slow I now do 4 miles a day with my wonderful dog and love it and during those first 4 months I lost 2 1/2 stone in unwanted fat, tell your husband to get out there and walk with you see how he does :-)
    You will do great and good luck with the illness you have dont push yourself to hard do it in your own time
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    Walking really works for weight loss. When I was last serious about getting weight off I did it primarily by walking everywhere. A couple of suggestions to change it up a bit: If you have a smart phone, try the free app Endomondo. It will track your walks - distance, elevation, calories burned and speed. I find myself competing with myself to get and keep that speed increasing to higher average speeds. Also, check out MBT shoes - they are pricey, but they add a bit more workout to your walks and I find that they really help cushion my joints, as my knees will complain when I take a long walk. Also Reebok has a shoe (EasyTone?) that starts making my thighs burn as soon as I begin a walk in them. Congrats on the walking!
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Walking is what I do at lunch everyday(weather permitting) 60 minutes. I have lost my weight with walking and diet. :wink:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Walking is fantastic exercise for losing weight and, in general improving your health. It may not convey the same cardiovascular benefit that running does but anyone who says walking isn't exercise has a hole in their head.
  • JG_FromMN
    JG_FromMN Posts: 15
    Options
    Most def its an exercise.. I've lost 12 lbs so far in my first week by walking.
  • GleeGirlie
    Options
    Hmm!!! Has your hubby tried walking?!

Walking is what you make of it, slow pace or fast pace, it all adds up. It's all hard work.

Keep up the good work.
  • cleavagefurrow
    cleavagefurrow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Walking is most definitely an exercise. Anyone who thinks it's not an exercise needs to get off their high horse. It might not give you bulky muscles, but it definitely is an exercise. If your goal is to just lose fat, you don't even need to exercise if you eat below your calorie limit.

Keep on walkin'!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    All movement is better than sitting on the couch.

I lost the first 50 lbs without doing any other kibnd of exercise except walking. And all I did was walk my dogs, for like 20 minutes, not even every day, just 4-5 times a week. That, along with calorie restriction*** is how I did it!

***Calorie counting is WAY WAY WAY more important than what kind of exercise (if any) you choose. Maintain a deficit, and your weight WILL drop.