Are there other C-Section Mommys out there???

Options
I had a Category 1 Crash C-Section almost two years ago due to a placental abruption.

I have a huge pouch overhanging my scar that has reduced in size as I have lost weight but is still like it is being shelved by the scar.

I need your help with motivation and support as well as things that have worked for you and exercises to do to try to increase the use of the muscles to see if I can reclaim some of this tummy that is a distant memory.

Success stories would be amazing too!!!

Replies

• Cpsnisi
    Cpsnisi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sounds like quite a difficult birth experience! Judging by your profile picture, I take it it all ended with a healthy mom and baby?

As for the c-section, you are not alone! Just this morning I was looking at my own little pouch hanging over my scar and wondering I'll ever get rid of it. I don't have any suggestions though. My c-sections were 11 and 7 years ago, I've lost a lot of weight since then, I do situps regularly, my abs are decently toned, but still have the excess skin and fat being shelved by the scar (great description!). I'm interested in what others say!
  • Pipergirl2
    Options
    I had an emergency c-section with my twins (11 years ago) and it's my worst area...I've heard that running helps flatten the tummy and having asmtha it's hard to do, but I'm trying! I have also lost weight and it seems to be getting better, but as always it's a work in progress. Would love to hear from other c-section ladies.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I had an emergency C-section with my first and planned C with my second. I don't even feel like I can engage my lower abdominals when I exercise. I would be grateful for tips too. Thank you for posting this!
  • lorforde
    lorforde Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It really is so nice to know that there are others struggling with the same problem area. It really annoys me when people make out that C-Section births are easy births!

(Yes I have a beautifully amazing soon to be 2 year old :love: )
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I had a planned C-section 3 and a half months ago... little guy has a large head and got turned breech about 36 weeks, then ran out of room to turn back down. I'm finding out how much excercises such as squats, lunges,and push ups/planks really do work your core. Before I was pregnant i guess my core was decently strong b/c i never really felt those stabilizer muscles engage, but apparently all that was lost during pregnancy and due to the c section. Now when I do these types of excercises I feel it through my abdomen as well as in my legs/shoulders/chest. So i would suggest doing not only excercises that are ab specific but also lifts that really work your entire core.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean and the pooch being "shelved by the scar" is a perfect description!

I had a c-section with my first twin pregnancy and then an emergency c-section with my second set of twins. Fortunately the doctor was able to cut along the original scar from my 1st c-section but there's still that darn "shelf".

Last year, I was able to tone up my tummy but still had the shelf, although it did shrink in size. I hate it and not sure exactly how to make it go away, other than surgery which I don't want to do!!
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 C Sections. I am not sure if I can blame them for my weight- I don;t see much where the scar was or anything- my weight is all over my mid area. When I lose some weight I guess I will have to check it out again and will update!
  • KristenStone
    KristenStone Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump Bump!

I have the same problem. I had a C Section over 3.5 years ago and I am seeing results everywhere but there. Granted I have lost about 5 inches off of my "mommy waist" It still sits about 7 inches out from my top waist!

Its starting to bug the living heck out of me and I am just trying to do ab workouts a couple times a week as well as doing the C25K running program but its still not going anywhere. Would love to see what other mommies have to say and any successes!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have a nice ridge, as well as decreased sensation in my C-section area - I had a C-section with my twins and then they had to go back in about 3 years ago along the scar line because I wound up with incisional endometriosis due to the C-section...so much fun...the second time they didnt have to cut ab muscles - but now I have a wider scar.

I have a pouch between my belly button and pelvis area - it has shrank down a bit but unless I want to have a tummy tuck I will forever be in Spanxs if I want a flat tummy....
  • jeannettebautch
    Options
    I have had 2 C-sections. My first was six yrs ago, 24 hrs after given potossum and 2 1/2 hrs of labor with no progress, then emergent C-section. Come to find out, I truely was all baby. He was 9 1/2 # and 22 inch long. Then, my second was a planned c-section for she was breach. Prior to pregnancy, I thought I had a pretty nice tummy. Now, I too have that lil top being held up by my scar. Last July, I started running and I do have to agree that this has helped alot. I also do ab killers, where you lay on your back on floor, cross your feet and lift your legs (while keeping them straight) so there straight toward ceilling. Then, as you lower them to toward floor, hold them about a 1/4 inch off floor, hold for 5 sec and then bring them back up. The first time I did this, I did 5 reps with each leg and the next morning I could actually feel muscles that I have never felt before in my abs.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    wow, I have not heard of a crash c-section, but it sounds bad.

I had 3 C-sections; the last one was almost 9 years ago.
  • thano30
    thano30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section 6 months ago and I still have loose extra skin around my midsection but it definitely keeps getting smaller. My main workouts are ones that work my core and burn lots of calories so I can strengthen and shed the fat. Also, less processed junk and more "clean" foods has helped.
  • daisy51981
    daisy51981 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections. I had an emergency c-section with my first daughter 9yrs ago when my pelvic bones would not separate and her heart beat slowed down. They figured it out after I dilated to 8 and wouldn't go any further and she wasn't a big baby, 7lbs 7 oz. My 5yr old was a planned c-section. I had the fat before having babies but it does seem harder to shrink it down after the sections.
  • ambersylva
    Options
    Hi ladies!!! I have had an emergency C-Section 6 years ago, another elective c-section 3 years ago, and ANOTHER one 18 months ago! I also have the fat saggy skin hanging over thing!!!! LOL UGH! I HATE it, however, about 4 years ago we went to Maui and I lost 25 lbs before we went! It did not go away, but it did get smaller! The doctor has told me it sill NEVER go away, but it will get smaller! So my plan is to get healthy, lose weight, and get a tummy tuck! :) And a boob job!!!!! <3:tongue:
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I had a C-Section as well 6 years ago-- I was 250 at the end of the pregnancy and 162 now-- My I am trying to help the mid section as well-- But since there is now way to target a specific area I took up jogging(recently) and weights(recently) I am noticing more in the way of lose of inches rather than lbs. I didnt get that heavy mid section over night so I know it wont disappear over night, I know I have had enough of looking at the damn thing though!!! Will revisit this thread to see what has helped others
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section. It was 13 years ago, but I had one. :) I still have a tiny scar but nothing hanging over. Did it by exercise and trying to watch my calorie intake. You may friend me if you would like.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I had one of each, my c-section almost 5.5 years ago, I knew it was coming, she was breeched, they tried to turn her but it wasn't happening.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    <
    Emergent (but not crash) C-section 4 years ago. I do heavy compound lifts. No sit-ups or crunches as that seems to make the separation down the middle worse. Still a work in progress, but I'm getting my old belly back.
  • cooper21120
    cooper21120 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had an emergency c-section and my tummy has been left the same way, its gone smaller so im hoping when i reach my goal, it wont be so bad then i can concentrate on trying to get rid of it completely, I am always looking for new friends so if anyone would like to add me please do :) x
  • Kia148
    Kia148 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bump