How many calories do you eat?

Options
Imu new at this. I'm wanting to know how many calories you are eating and still losing weight. All I i see around here is 1200 cals or less and it's the pretty discouraing b/c thats so unrealistic for me weighing in at 256 lbs. I want to eat! Love to eat! But II need toto lose weight. I want to see success stories or see diaries of 1500+ consumers so I know there is hope for me!

Thanks

Replies

• stardivap413
    Options
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I was eating about 1500 calories per day. But I am 100 pounds lighter than you, so you should be able to eat more than me and still lose. What kind of goal does MFP give you?
  • Tatampa
    Tatampa Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm on the plan to lose 1 pound a week and so I my calories are set at 1690 a day. It's a slow way to lose, but you're more likely to keep it off. Exercising helps a lot! Even going for a 45-minute walk around the neighborhood can burn 200+, depending on how quickly you walk. You can do it!!!
  • NemoDog
    NemoDog Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and started at 274 now 254 and I eat anywhere from 1100 to 1500 caolories in a day, I've become really good at finding foods that are low cal yet keep me full :) I'm rarely hungry and when I am I eat a healthy snack. I also found that it was harder at the beginning and then it seems like my stomach adjusted and the hungry feeling went away...good luck!
  • mary60538
    Options
    I am 5'10" and 220lbs. I get about 1630 and I eat about 1500 hundred a day. I have been loosing about a pound a week. I also dot work out that much since I am a stay at home mom and am playing with my girls since I have 3. So, I really watch what I eat and wear a step counter and set a goal of 12,000 steps a day.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" & down to 142lbs, with a few more pounds to lose! I'm set to lose 1/2lb a week, and my settings have me at 1710 calories per day. I usually eat all of those and sometimes more on rest days. On exercise days, I'll eat 2000+, netting around 1500 or more. I always try to net at least 1200, and it's usually not a problem. :tongue:

There's a great topic here about upping the calories & losing weight. I had been stuck between 143-145 for quite a long time until I upped my calories a bit last month - then the scale finally started moving again. Check out the topic here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518533-major-sucess-with-higher-calories?error_user_id=6941661&error_username=AmyRhubarb&hl=major+success

There is a TON of info in there, so it might feel a bit overwhelming reading through it, but check it out when you have a chance. :smile:
  • stardivap413
    Options
    When I was losing I was eating about 1500 calories per day. But I am 100 pounds lighter than you, so you should be able to eat more than me and still lose. What kind of goal does MFP give you?

1700 is for me to lose 1 lb per week. I'm just starving!
  • stardivap413
    Options
    I'm 5'8" & down to 142lbs, with a few more pounds to lose! I'm set to lose 1/2lb a week, and my settings have me at 1710 calories per day. I usually eat all of those and sometimes more on rest days. On exercise days, I'll eat 2000+, netting around 1500 or more. I always try to net at least 1200, and it's usually not a problem. :tongue:

There's a great topic here about upping the calories & losing weight. I had been stuck between 143-145 for quite a long time until I upped my calories a bit last month - then the scale finally started moving again. Check out the topic here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518533-major-sucess-with-higher-calories?error_user_id=6941661&error_username=AmyRhubarb&hl=major+success

There is a TON of info in there, so it might feel a bit overwhelming reading through it, but check it out when you have a chance. :smile:

thanks for sharing, I'm just so confused b/c for u to lose 1/2 lb per week you are eating the same amount of cals for me to lose 1 lb per week and I have like 100 lbs of fat more hthan you do. so confusing.
  • stardivap413
    Options
    I am 5'10" and 220lbs. I get about 1630 and I eat about 1500 hundred a day. I have been loosing about a pound a week. I also dot work out that much since I am a stay at home mom and am playing with my girls since I have 3. So, I really watch what I eat and wear a step counter and set a goal of 12,000 steps a day.

okay, you just gave me the best idea to wear a step counter therefore I know I am moving enough! thanks for the idea
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I have my calories currently set to 1700 and eat back exercise calories. So I'm usually eating anywhere from 17-2200 calories.
  • stardivap413
    Options
    I'm on the plan to lose 1 pound a week and so I my calories are set at 1690 a day. It's a slow way to lose, but you're more likely to keep it off. Exercising helps a lot! Even going for a 45-minute walk around the neighborhood can burn 200+, depending on how quickly you walk. You can do it!!!

thank u so much for the encouragement!!
  • stardivap413
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and started at 274 now 254 and I eat anywhere from 1100 to 1500 caolories in a day, I've become really good at finding foods that are low cal yet keep me full :) I'm rarely hungry and when I am I eat a healthy snack. I also found that it was harder at the beginning and then it seems like my stomach adjusted and the hungry feeling went away...good luck!

we are right around the same weight, it's good to know the hunger goes away and my body will adjust. thanks!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    If you do 30 minutes of good cardio every day, that will allow you to eat more. Also, be sure to eat healthy food. Junk food is not very filling and will leave you hungry. Also, eat smaller meals more often. I personally spread my calories out over 6 small meals during the day, and I'm only hungry when it it time to eat (thank goodness).
  • xxmzangel
    xxmzangel Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 1200-1500 calories a day, on the higher end on the days I exercise, which can also earn you extra calories. I don't starve though, I just make my calories count by choosing the more filling option. For example, 200 calories of potato chips will not fill you up nearly as much as a 200 calorie piece of chicken.

It's all about choosing the right foods, because a calorie from one type of food is not necessarily the same as a calorie from another.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    The good thing is the more you workout the more you can eat! It's like a reward! So burn 500 extra calories at the gym, and then have a nice protein and caloried filled dinner.
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm currently eating 1900 calories net. On days that I have big workouts it is actually hard for me to eat enough calories to net 1900. It is true though that the more you workout, the more you can eat! I find that eating lots of veggies and fruit will fill you up really well, and they are naturally low in calories, so you can eat more. I find fish to be a good food that is low in calories so you can eat a larger portion, feel satisfied and still meet your calorie goals.
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat 2170 a day!
    GO to Fat2fit.com they will tell you exactly what to eat by your body fat%
    and your goal body fat.

Someone on MFP shared this info with me and I have been SO HAPPY ever since!
    You are starving yourself, NOT THE WAY TO GO!
    Good Luck, Friend me if you want :)
  • stardivap413
    Options
    If you do 30 minutes of good cardio every day, that will allow you to eat more. Also, be sure to eat healthy food. Junk food is not very filling and will leave you hungry. Also, eat smaller meals more often. I personally spread my calories out over 6 small meals during the day, and I'm only hungry when it it time to eat (thank goodness).

yeah my food choices are not the best! thanks for the help:flowerforyou:
  • stardivap413
    Options
    I eat 2170 a day!
    and your goal body fat.

wow, that is a lot of calories! I want to eat that much!! thanks so much for your help and yes, I will add u if you don't mind
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I eat 2170 a day!
    and your goal body fat.

^^^This!. I used Fat2Fit and it told me to eat 2237 if I workout 6 days a week (which I normally do). However the last paragraph says:

"As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point."

So, since I am within 5 lbs of my goal I cut my calories down a bit and I am eating 1900 (with exercise I am NETTING between 1600-1700 calories). I lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks when I upped my calories. It is hard to believe you can lose weight while eating so much---but there are a lot of us on MFP that proves you can. By the way I am 5' 1 and around 119 lbs:flowerforyou: .