Coffee..I need help!!!

Options

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that if you want to move to drinking your coffee black, splurge on good coffee to start off. Some coffee just doesn't taste good by itself. I've been drinking my coffee black for a couple of years, but our coffee at work is so horrible I just can't manage to drink it black.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/CLICK-Espresso-14-Servings-15-8-Ounce-Canister/dp/B002GKEK7G/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_b

I love this stuff. 120 Cal, 15g of protein. I don't drink any calories unless I get something out of the deal :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    A splash of half and half is like 40 calories. I like to taste my coffee, but the touch of cream is a nice addition.

However, I find it really strange that people say, "I don't enjoy coffee without cream and sugar" ... uhh.. then the coffee is just a socially acceptable vessel to eating cream and sugar, at which point you might as well have some ice cream or something.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I drink mine black or with just a little skim milk in it. I do like Coffee Mate plain creamer, but it's just too high calorie for me. The skim milk makes the coffee look the same so I think it tricks my brain a bit.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    i used to have skim milk and sugar. I have swapped to vanilla soy milk which has the calories of skim milk and is naturally sweeter for the same calories as the milk (and its a lot more dense/thicker than milk which is nice... not sure how it will hold up against creamer though!). essentially i only cut out the sugar calories... but it tastes amazing to me. not sure if you'll like it or not!
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I like to add almond milk or coconut milk to my coffee
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    That's just the way I drink it....don't worry about it. I ran a half-marathon and all I had that morning was coffee w/cream and sugar lol.

Just count it like you would anything else.

I probably have wine more than coffee, no way I'm giving that up! :)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I (very slowly) went to black coffee from milk and sugar. First, I cut back on sugar, gave myself time to adjust to that. Once I had adjusted, I cut out all sugar and nearly ended my relationship with coffee right then, but I don't like breakups. I kept drinking it with just 50 ml milk until I got the courage to try it black. As it turned out, it tasted better to me that way than with milk. I thought it was going to be a huge adjustment but it wasn't. The best part is that now I get to play around with different types of coffee from different places and it only adds a few more calories to my day.
  • smoten
    smoten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    We take our coffee the same way! I thought about changing it for a while too. I didnt change anything, i just count it in my food diary and go on. i dont drink as much as i used to, i only have a few cups in the morning. if i need something hot during the day i drink green tea plain. You cant give up everything and changing my coffee wasnt something i was willing/able to do.
    Good Luck.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Creamers are not good for you. Loaded with hydrogenated fats, yuk.
    I use almond milk. It's thicker than regular milk and has less fat and calories. I've also heard of people using coconut "creamer" which is just coconut milk. It's true that coconut milk has high saturated fat, but it's vegetable fats not animal fats. Plus you get a nice little flavor of coconut which might help you use less sugar.
    For sugar I go with a half packet of stevia per cup. Some people hate stevia. I think it tastes just fine in coffee. Good luck!
  • katsmit2
    katsmit2 Posts: 54
    Options
    I am obsessed with coffee! I am actually drinking some right now! What I did was I slowly decreased the amount of sugar and cream until I was drinking black. Took me about a year but now I love black coffee. But also life isn't about denying yourself every pleasure! If it fits in your calories and you love it keep it!

THIS! I drink 3-4 cups per day!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I used to be all over with coffee. LOVE MY COFFEE. Now I drink it black. But have you tried almond milk instead? They even have flavored ones. Also they have flavored coffee syrups some are sugar free but I don't like the after taste of those. It may take time just each cup try to use less of the other stuff. Also try flavored coffees if you have to have some sort of flavor
  • jporcelli
    jporcelli Posts: 10
    Options
    Have you tried a little vanilla almond milk? Maybe a couple of tablespoons? It's pretty creamy with a bit of sweetness. That and and a Truvia...Mmm
  • lwalcott
    lwalcott Posts: 1
    Options
    If you do not like sweetners try this. Mix the blue( Equal) and pink(Sweet-N-Low) packs together. That will knock the bitter taste. I have done it for years and I like it. Give it a try.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I drink mine black, for the most part, because it's easier that way. I can have coffee when we run out of creamer (though I do LOVE that Bailey's non-alcoholic stuff.. And hell, I love the alcoholic stuff, too), and I can have coffee no matter where I am and what they have available.

But this is coming from someone who likes their drinks pretty bitter (like my beer has to be some awesomely stout dark one, or I ain't touchin' it). So I don't know how your taste palate would react. ;)
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Have it black! You'll probably get used to it after awhile! Thats how I drink mine and I enjoy it that way!

THIS! Coffee was meant to be drunk black, plus its a decent source of potassium! Have it black and enjoy (2 cal per 8oz and 125 mg Potassium!)

Yep. You seem to be obsessed with cream and sugar, rather than coffee.

I realized this about myself, that I just really enjoyed the sweet creamy coffee flavour. I didn't cut it out completely but I only allow myself one cup a day now, that's my start...oh and I switched to decaf as another step to just completely cut it out, but i'm not there yet.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So I really need some help/advice. Ok, I am obsessed with coffee and I don't see that thing changing anytime soon but I do want to be able to cut the calories in my coffee drink. Right now I use about 2 tbl of half and half with 1-2 teaspoon of sugar....not the healthiest I know, high calories and high fat (well I could be worse). But I have been playing around with different creamers, milk and sweeteners and nothing I mean nothing tastes good! Any advice or should I just stick with what I am doing?

I use 4 tsp of half-n-half and 2 tsp of In The Raw - Stevia extract. I personally would drop the sugar or cut it with Stevia.

If you cannot drop the sugar, then maybe go 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp of stevia, but that isn't such a big savings. Other creamers are full of either sodium or sugar.
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Stick with what you like. Just fit it into your daily calorie and macro limits.

thats what i do and it works for me...and i have a habit myself
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I do creamer and splenda or creamer and stevia, but after reading the other posts I think I'm gonna try it black. :)
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I take mine w/ 2 TB of powder creamer at 20Cal & sweet & low. I couldn't survive without it.