What size weights are the best for a woman to tone arms?

Options

Replies

• knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Something that has worked better for me than ANY exercise using weights is exercises using body weight, pushups are amazing, I haven't noticed arm results as quickly doing anything else. Other than that what everyone says, pick the heaviest weight you can use still with good form for 8-12 (or 10-15 whichever you prefer) reps 3x. I would say if you feel nothing with the 5, bump it up to 8 and perform a set, if still nothing bump it up to 10, you should feel like you can't do another rep after you last one on the correct weight. It takes some time to play around and figure it out, but that should help a lot!
  • adoptakalyn
    Options
    That makes sense to a point ( I am almost 40 and have NEVER exercised before... so please excuse my ignorance... I dont want to "bulk" up... but do want to tone my muscles and make them well defined... I hope that makes sense...

You won't "bulk up" if you don't increase the amount of protein you are eating in your diet. There is no such thing as "bulking up" or "toning down" it's all building and strengthening muscle. Now how you want to strengthen is where you see differences, if you're not going to increase what you eat then you'll be fine. Since you've never lifted before I would start pretty light at 8-10lbs and see how well you can do 12-15 reps. If you can do them no problem then the weight is too low and work your way up until they are difficult. Start with that weight the next time. Before my pregnancy I used to be an avid weight lifter and I can upload photos of what I used to look like if that will give you more confidence to try what I'm saying.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    arms2.jpg

I'm also about 40 and never really exercised before. I started lifting heavy in July. The heavier I lifted, the smaller my arms got.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Bigger ones.
  • jcorey62
    jcorey62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer has me lift 10 pounds on each arm and I can dead weight lift 25 on each arm..
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    arms2.jpg

I'm also about 40 and never really exercised before. I started lifting heavy in July. The heavier I lifted, the smaller my arms got.

This is true (look at my pics also).

I also recommend The New Rules Of Lifting For Women.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    this is going to go against everything that everyone says, lol, but I like to work to a level that i can repeat every day. working to complete fatigue 3 times a week does not appeal to me, unless i am specifically training for something.

because i was injured and had to start from basically zero again, i actually started with 1lb weights doing 30ds (30 second strength/cardio circuit training). i quickly had to replace these with 2lb, then with 5lb.

it's really a matter of doing what you find helpful, suitable for your routine, and if at all possible enjoyable. i do really enjoy smashing myself to exhaustion...but only on saturday! during the week i want a stable, repeatable routine that i can easily increase when i feel that i have outgrown it. :)
  • jazzylopez
    jazzylopez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A barbell with options up to 350lbs!

Deadlift
    Squat
    Bench Press
    Military Press
    Rows
    Chin ups

These are simple to do and learn.
    If somebody says the word "Accessory lift" you need to run fast in the opposite direction!

^^^ yeah, that sounds right!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    this is going to go against everything that everyone says,

not all of us agreed that working till failure was the best way!
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to lift an amount where you struggle with the last couple reps.. so if you are doing sets of 10... the last few reps should be a challenge.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    arms2.jpg

Hello Mommy!
    ;D
    You look fantastic!
  • jcorey62
    jcorey62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You look great..
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Heavvvvvy~!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    It's not the amount of weight, it's the number of reps and the intensity of those reps.

It is my opinion that you should be doing 3 sets of 12-20 reps (I personally would go for 15). Now Choose a weight that you will have a hard time getting the 15th (or whatever your last rep is) rep up.

Low weight, high rep (12-20), to positive failure (you can do no more exercises) = Toning
    Medium weight, medium rep (8-12), to positive failure (you can do no more exercises) = Toning and Building Muscle
    High weight, low rep (4-8), to positive failure (you can do no more exercises) = Building Muscle

IMOP, the key is to get to a positive failure at the given rep goal you have for the exercise. If you can seemingly go on and on forever with a given weight, it's too light. Their is a balance to getting the most out of the time you spend working out.

I hope that makes sense, and these are my opinions, so I'm sure someone won't agree, but it's worked for me.

This!

also try tricep dips - i have a love hate relationship with them....
    depends on what i'm doing as to how much weight i do.... On the incline chest press I can do 60lbs if I'm just doing like 3 sets of 15 -- but today I did 5 sets of 18 at only 30lbs and felt it.
    on chest press with free weights I can do a 25lb dumbbell in each hand. - 4-5 sets of 15-18
    Single arm rows, i typically do with 20lbs.... - 4-5 sets of 15-18
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Lift as much as you can for 8-12 reps. Couldn't see your diary to see what's wrong with your diet.
    This is the one!
  • AnAmericanGirl2
    AnAmericanGirl2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The most you can lift!
  • riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    get some 8's, 10's and 12's and also get jari love's get ripped - i recommend either the get ripped and chiseled or slim and lean (dvd's). problem solved :)