Food Diary Snooping... OR Why is your diary CLOSED?!

Options

Replies

• mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    <<Open>>

I find that making the public commitment keeps me honest. I like to think it doesn't influence my choices, but I am sure it does. :happy:

I just try to stick to "Eat it - log it" - so far working pretty well.

The biggest thing about logging is making ME aware of EVERYTHING I consume. It comes down to becoming "mindful" whenever we are contemplating putting something in our mouths. For me, that added "how would this look in my diary?" might be just enough for me to avoid scarfing down a mess o' donuts!

I welcome all feedback!

Cheers,
    Matt

^^THIS^^ (but a mess o' donuts sure sounds divine)
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My Diary is closed becuase I don't want what other people might think to cause my to change my food decisions. It isn't anything personal. If I slip I might not log because I don't wnat someone to judge. If I only eat 1,000 calories one day I don't wnat to force myself to eat something so people won't accuse me of eating to low.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, probably because I don't care. I eat a lot of weird food sometimes, especially in the fall when the hunting is good. I really like saurkraut and boca burgers made into reubens...using low fat Swiss cheese and fat free 1000 island of course....and don't forget onions.

Peanut Butter on hot dogs is another favorite that you don't see too often.

I like logging my food...it helps me to remember that a Snickers means 45 minutes on the elliptical...just to break even. UGH!!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed because I want to keep track of the calories I eat, not because I wanna get messages of people telling me what to do.
    I normally eat below the 1200 calories , and I NEVER eat my extra excercise calories. So I know people would come and say ´hey you gotta eat more´, and im sorry, but that aint gonna happen!
    I know what I do and works for me thank you!
  • slippymcgee
    Options
    Open- it makes me feel like I am accountable to my MFP friends. When I'm thinking about eating something crappy, I think "I'm gonna have to put this in my diary and they're going to see it..." usually makes me think twice about my choices.
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I hope mine is closed. I don't really want people examining and picking apart my food choices. If I lose, great. If I gain, or stay the same, it's on me. Nobody else's business.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Noone ever looks at mine lol
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    My diary is open. I am not ashamed of anything. :)
  • aprildawn81
    aprildawn81 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary closed because it's not anyone else's business. I keep myself accountable by logging everything anyway, I don't need other people judging what I have eaten, or have not eaten enough of, etc.
  • bruinstar
    bruinstar Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I remember feeling self-conscious about what I was eating at first and didn't want to open my diary for fear of being judged. However, I've come a long way from those days and I just recently reached my 100 days of logging-in to MFP and I haven't felt ashamed of my diary or my progress anymore. I feel that having my food diary open keeps me accountable for what I am putting into my body. Plus I figure if I enjoy looking at other people's diaries, why not let them see mine!
  • PinkiePie07
    PinkiePie07 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mine is open right now, but I'm considering closing it again. I've since upped my calories (above BMR, below TDEE) and so anything before tuesday is dreadfully low. So, I'm thinking of re-closing it until I balance back out.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I do cringe when I see a mfp friend's diary day after day filled with cookies, pastries, candies etc. which I have definitely seen although the person stays under in calories and skips protein, vegetables... I really try to remember that just cause something doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. And I mind my own business. After all they are paying attention to logging and that's important : )
  • AssembledIncorrectly
    AssembledIncorrectly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I keep my journal open. I feel as though this holds me accountable for what I eat throughtout the day. The embarassment of going over my calories or not exercising for the day forces me to do it. I am not here because I have been a healthy person my whole life. This weight gain has been constant ups and downs periodically throughout the last 11 years, and 3 kids later. I am ready to have the sexy body I used to, before the 3 kids. I have recently quit smoking as well, after 14 years of smoking the last 6 of which has been 2+ packs a day I have finally called it quits! Through prayer..and only through prayer have I quit. I didn't even have the desire to quit...it just happened. I can no longer smoke a cigarette without tasting the chemicals in them. Cigarettes had been my best friend for 14 years..more then half my life. I thought I would mourn my best friend a lot more then I am...I rarely think about them anymore..But I am def. enjoying the extra 70 bucks a week!
  • Hartman1986
    Hartman1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Mine is open but mostly empty. Once I get into a habit of eating something I tend to stay right there. Weekends are the exception. I tend to eat everything in sight, then ask for more. Drop 10 over the week and gain 7 over the weekend. It seems to average out and its seems to be the only way that works to keep me from losing to much weight to fast. Though if I started to log everything again, people might cringe when they see me log 2 whole pizzas in one day.
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I don't eat great but I don't eat as bad as I used to. I've never gotten any feedback on my diary. Any I get will be taken with a grain of salt.

I love to look at other people's diaries. When I see success stories or halfway there pictures, I want to see what they did to get there. I'm often extremely disappointed because I don't get to see the snack and meal ideas of successful losers. I also like to see people's exercise diaries so I can get an idea as to what normal people do for daily exercise and how they work that into a diet.

I do admit to judging people based on their diaries but usually it's because they don't log regularly or they eat less than 1200 calories. Both of those types of diaries are useless to me. Sometimes, I can look at a diary and it will help explain what a person might be doing "wrong" and what might be causing them to struggle. When I see the mistakes in their diary, it makes me much more aware of the mistakes in mine. I DO NOT, however, comment on another person's diary unless they have explicited asked me for my opinion.
  • nisemac
    nisemac Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    when i first joined, i kept my diary closed mainly because i saw it as a tool for me to figure out my eating habits. it was very useful because, i've always assumed i ate too much all the time. in tracking, i learned i've never been eating enough or moving enough. it also taught me a challenge i have when it comes to eating--more than choice, making time to eat properly.

as i began to make friends, i opened my diary for them and its proven helpful--no judgemental comments. I've actually received encouragement when i get near my calorie goal, or have an interesting meal. i also have friends who, thru their food diaries, remind me that its about LIVING. you can be healthy and enjoy food too. seeing their moments of 'balance' helps me to find my balance.

its sad that people feel the need to criticize....i don't begrudge anyone who keeps their diary closed, and I hope that those who do so out of embarrassment or fear realize that they don't have to be afraid. *hugs*
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I ate McDonald's French Fries today - but I only ate 10 of them, and I counted them lol. My daughter had McDonald's so come on, who can take their kid to McDonald's without eating a couple fries? So I put them on my food list and I am still way under for my caloric intake for the day. But I also don't want to be judged or criticized by fanatics who think I shouldn't have had any.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I could honestly care less if someone wants to pick about my diary. In fact, I welcome it. I've learned a lot the past 2 months and enjoy seeing myself grow as an individual. Part of the learning process is to accept that my past way of eating sucked!
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I keep my diary closed because it's not anyone else's business. I keep myself accountable by logging everything anyway, I don't need other people judging what I have eaten, or have not eaten enough of, etc.
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    Comments on my food choices have always been good and i like to look at other people's diaries to get some new ideas :~)