Why are people so cruel

Options
Ok mini vent too..This morning one of the girls in the office recieved a box of chocolate dipped strawberries from edible arrangements and decided to offer me one. Needless to say neither of us are skinny. There was a customer in the lobby at this time, Male with the stomache of a pregnant woman. So I selected one. The guy then says" you know if you eat that you will only get fatter than what you are" "You know men like skinny woman." I didnt reply because I like my job and the words coming out of my mouth wasnt going to be pretty. So I ate all my 140 calories strawberry and gave him eyes that could kill. He doesnt know me or my workout plans. What gives him the right to judge me on my weight? This is why alot of people have confidence issues dealing with there weight

Replies

• Livingbalanced
    Livingbalanced Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    He's just ignorant and rude. I understand you keeping your wits about you for your job but I don't think it's wrong to say that that kind of comment is unacceptable and that you don't appreciate those comments. He needs to be told that it's inappropriate and rude.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Wow- sounds like one sad and obviously sick person. Sorry they hurt you like that- they were in the wrong.
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What a douche bag seriously. I would have said you ought to take a look in the mirror. I know its rude to hear a complete stranger say that to you but don't take it to heart. Of what importance is his opinion? I'm sorry that he said that to you though.
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Honey you can lose weight, but that man will always have an ugly soul. I was at a party last year, I weighed about 165 pounds at the time. There were a lot of people so it was a tight squeeze to get around. As I passed one of the other party goers he said, "Wide load coming through." At the time it broke my heart. Now I just realize some people are just ugly on the inside and need to work on themselves emotionally the way I am physically.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Whoa! I hope you work in a psych ward. Who would say such a thing? Oh, yeah. Lots of people. People have no social filters anymore.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think I would have raised my eyebrows.....laughed...then snickered while pointing at his belly.
    He's not even worth a thought to you. :flowerforyou:
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    He feels bad about himself and putting you down made him feel better. It's sort of a sick power balance. By making someone else feel bad, someone else feels good - but it's only temporary and they have to turn around and do it again. People with their own self confidence don't have to use others to make themselves better because it comes internally.

For what it's worth, I had one of those strawberries a few weeks ago and it was totally worth the 140 calories - great way to indulge in chocolate without going insane, cause those strawberries are huge!
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing by ignoring him, but what an a*s. Obviously unhappy with himself. SERIOUSLY, do not continue thinking about that comment, because you are FABULOUS...and no one can take that away...

I will share this, once standing in a room of peers, another technologist said to me, don't you get tired of being the big girl in the room? She was larger than myself, and I asked to speak to her in private....enough said. You will not disrespect me in any setting!

Look forward....
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    You know there is nothing wrong with a straightforward polite reply. Such as sir that is wildy inappropriate to say to someone you don't know. Embarrass him and make him feel like a small child. Thats not unprofessional and I bet you he feels like an *kitten* and doesn't dare say another word.
  • jennylsapia
    jennylsapia Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    WOW Liz that is horrible!!!! You are not even big!!! I hate people like that!!! UGH...gets me on my high horse everytime!! Why would he think that it was ok to tell you that?? It is none of his buisness! My favorite comeback as a kid was, "yea I am fat but you are ugly/stupid and guess what I'm losing weight"!!!!! Such an *kitten*!!! He is lucky I can't kick his *kitten* right now....give me nine months then I will!!!! LOL
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    He was just jealous because he couldn't have a chocolate covered strawberry. Don't let anyone steal your joy!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing these stories and they make me so angry I don't have words.

You should have stabbed him in the neck.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I would have said "pot meet kettle" with a big smile and enjoyed my delicious strawberry
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    WhatEVER! You should have asked him when he was due!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? Thats a shicking thing for someone to say. Pay no attention to him
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Compared to most women I know, you seem to be in fantastic shape.

Regardless, SOME guys like skinny girls. Some don't.

Same with everything else in life.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Ok mini vent too..This morning one of the girls in the office recieved a box of chocolate dipped strawberries from edible arrangements and decided to offer me one. Needless to say neither of us are skinny. There was a customer in the lobby at this time, Male with the stomache of a pregnant woman. So I selected one. The guy then says" you know if you eat that you will only get fatter than what you are" "You know men like skinny woman." I didnt reply because I like my job and the words coming out of my mouth wasnt going to be pretty. So I ate all my 140 calories strawberry and gave him eyes that could kill. He doesnt know me or my workout plans. What gives him the right to judge me on my weight? This is why alot of people have confidence issues dealing with there weight

What a D I C K....
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options

What a doucher. I wouldn't care if I was at work I would've said take a look in the mirror or something like that. What an idiot!

And I took a look at your profile pictures and you look fine to me.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    im being honest here, your not even big. not big enough to even think about a comment like that. im 50 lbs overweight and if someone said that to me i would prolly deck them. either that or ask if hes had any sucess at all with ladys. juding by the way he talked to you im assuming he will die alone :]
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    Those kinds of comments aren't so much rude and nasty as they can be soul crushing. That would really hurt my feelings if someone said that to me.
    I'm sorry you had to hear that, and no one should be told that.