Low Carb Fat Free Greek Yogurt Suggestions

Options
mfaine
mfaine Posts: 84 Member
I've been eating Liberte 0% and I like it but the carbs are kind of high. I tried Fage Total 0% plain and added my own fresh fruit and this was great and still had lower carbs than the Liberte even with the fresh fruit but it is a bit of work to do this regularly. I'd like to find a low calorie, low carb, low sodium (usually not a problem), no added sugar, greek yogurt (with fruit) with a high amount of protein and good flavor and texture. Yes, I know this is asking for a lot but maybe you can help.

Replies

• Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the answer to this my self. I never heard of Liberte .
  • emilybrokaw
    Options
    I'm not sure what amount of carbs you're trying to stay under, but I do believe Kroger has a low carb greek yogurt. I usually eat the Dannon Oikos 0% fat, but Stonyfield also has an Organic Oikos that is sweetened with stevia.
    Here's the nutritional value for the 5.3 oz honey flavor.
    130 calories
    0% fat
    10 mg cholesterol
    50 mg sodium
    150 mg potassium
    21 g carbs
    19g sugar
    12g protein
  • mfaine
    Options
    @emilybrokaw Sounds delicious but I think the Liberte is already lower than that though the honey one may be higher than a fruit variety.

I guess this is my baseline:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_nutrition_facts/28344978?date=2012-04-08&show_controls=true
  • Ninatoots
    Options
    I don't think I can buy it here in MS. My son works at Costco in CA.
  • Ninatoots
    Options
    I'm thinking I'm going to make yogurt.
  • mfaine
    Options
    @ninaroots, and here I was complaining about the additional work of mixing fruit into my plain yogurt.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Liberte 0% and I like it but the carbs are kind of high. I tried Fage Total 0% plain and added my own fresh fruit and this was great and still had lower carbs than the Liberte even with the fresh fruit but it is a bit of work to do this regularly. I'd like to find a low calorie, low carb, low sodium (usually not a problem), no added sugar, greek yogurt (with fruit) with a high amount of protein and good flavor and texture. Yes, I know this is asking for a lot but maybe you can help.

I do the fage with a little honey. Its easier and more convenient than preparing fresh fruit every day. Then you can add your fresh fruit in somewhere else... like a banana that is much easier to prepare. :)
  • mfaine
    Options
    @thirtyandthriving I think I'll try that, good suggestion. I'd guess that the honey would add quite a few carbs though. I'll have to check it out.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I use Zoi because that is what my store has. They have plain low fat although I use the traditional. Throw in a teaspoon or so of SF syrup, I use Torani Vanilla. Mmm. taste like ice cream. I also throw in about 1/4 cup or so of frozen berries. No chopping or anything. You need to stir it a bit though because the frozen fruit will start to freeze it so it's even more like ice cream.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I make my own yogurt all the time using a quart of heavy whipping cream (0 carbs) and 2.5 tablespoons of Fage plain Greek yogurt. I love it. 180 calories 0 carbs 20 gms sodium and 20 gms fat. Good luck. Hope you find something you like.
  • FullMetalWitch
    FullMetalWitch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get the plain yogurt and add banana flavoring and stevia. With a few walnuts and some dark chocolate chunks, it's even better than Ben & Jerry's chunky monkey!

I assume it would work with other food flavorings. Stevia adds no carbs, and isn't a sugar alcohol.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    if you want fat free, the carbs are going to be higher. its a trade off. i use zoi and the fat free version has 21g carbs/cup where the full fat version has 11g/cup. the same general stats hold for most of the brands i have looked at.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to find a Greek yogurt that is low in sugar which is why I stick to Carbmaster yogurt. I would also like to know if anyone knows of a low sugar Greek yogurt.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I make my own yogurt all the time using a quart of heavy whipping cream (0 carbs) and 2.5 tablespoons of Fage plain Greek yogurt. I love it. 180 calories 0 carbs 20 gms sodium and 20 gms fat. Good luck. Hope you find something you like.

Am gonna try this for sure.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options

Are you in the UK? i use the tesco fat-free variety and it's ok. I mix it with a teaspoon of no added sugar jam, teaspoon of no added sugar and a handful of blueberries. Comes in at 239 calories and really filling and nice too!
  • mfaine
    Options
    Nope, no Tesco here. Nice idea with the no sugar added jam. I think I'll try that. Still looking for Stevia drops to try too.
  • mfaine
    Options
    if you want fat free, the carbs are going to be higher. its a trade off. i use zoi and the fat free version has 21g carbs/cup where the full fat version has 11g/cup. the same general stats hold for most of the brands i have looked at.

I've noticed that too. Not sure what is going on there. 18-21 is generally the range I see if it has fruit in it. If it is plain, like the Fage 0%, then it can get down a bit lower.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Is the fage total 0% flavored ones too high carbs? The fruit flavors are 17g or 18g of carbs and 16g of sugars.
  • mfaine
    Options
    qtiekiki: About average really, no more or less than what I've seen in other brands. I think it might just be the fruit filling they use. It would be great (and I may suggest ) of one of these Greek yogurt makers that they sweeten that fruit filling in the yogurt with stevia instead of sugar. That would probably be all that is needed to get the carbs down. I can't find Fage 0% here in any other flavor than plain. It probably does exist here, I just haven't seen it.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    qtiekiki: About average really, no more or less than what I've seen in other brands. I think it might just be the fruit filling they use. It would be great (and I may suggest ) of one of these Greek yogurt makers that they sweeten that fruit filling in the yogurt with stevia instead of sugar. That would probably be all that is needed to get the carbs down. I can't find Fage 0% here in any other flavor than plain. It probably does exist here, I just haven't seen it.

I read recently that Stevia hasn't been approved for use in products yet. I wish they would speed up that process.