Ladies! HAIR!

Options

Replies

• NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Yep I have long, heavy hair as well (I think it weighs 1kg alone hahah) and I usually keep it down. No it's not more comfortable, I just like it better that way :P If it bothers you while running, maybe you can do it in a low ponytail, high ones tend to swing every where haha. Other styles you can do are side pony tails, messy buns and braided buns. Using a workout headband may also help.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    just a quick thought, if the only thinbg wrong with the pony tail is it getting your neck hot+sweaty, can you put it in a ponytail, and jaw clip it up? like this DSC01842.JPG

The jawclips are no match for what I've got goin on lol...They don't stay in my hair or hold it up at all :( Got some good tips on here though, ladies, thanks!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Those of you with thick, long hair who do buns....how do you get it to stay in while working out? Are you running or doing something simliar?

I put it in a high ponytail...split the ponytail in half and wrap one section to the left and the other section to the right. Then another holder.

I'm teaching a high intensity Zumba class with enough hair tosses to give someone whiplash.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I usually pin my bangs back, and put my hair (it's super long, about 2 inches past my bra) in a high pony tail on top of my head, but only halfway pull the hair through. It looks sloppy, but it keeps the hair in place.
    I secure it with one of those ribbed Ouchless hair elastics. If my workout gets intense and my hair starts flopping around, I'll wear a one of those full loop cloth headbands too.

I don't like the clips, because they don't let me do any exercises on my back (sit ups, pervs!)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    when my hair became that much trouble & work, I whacked it off & haven't looked back. I LOVE my short hair. NO hassles, save a ton on shampoo & products and it's cheaper to color. It takes me less than 10 mins to dry & style my hair and my arms NEVER get tired.
    If you MUST have long hair gonna have to take the work, headaches & aggravation that comes with it. me? I'd rather spend a few bucks on extensions or a wig for the few occasions that I want to wear my hair long. I wore long, curly hair for over 20 years, and many times ended the day in a pony-tail. After a motorcycle ride, even with braids, it would take me at least an hour to untangle it. I'll never understand why I waited so long to go short.

I cut 12 inches off my hair 4 years ago (donated it). I cried almost every time I looked into mirror for about a week. Some chicks can rock the short hair look, but not this one. I've tried so many times...but short hair is not an option for me...ever.
  • kitiarascott
    kitiarascott Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i have long thick hair too i have to put it up and pull my bangs back or it drives me insane, ponytails gave me headaches too. I recently got my hair cut, i got about three inches off and i had the hair dresser thin my hair out and its such a relief, i still have my long hair but it doesn't drive me nuts or give me headaches from ponytails.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    High topknot or a low side pony or braid. I would love to do french braids, but I don't know how! My hair looks ridiculous now because I lost a ton of my hair when I had my son and now it's all growing back so I have tons of like 3 inch long hairs sticking out everywhere. I try to bobby pin them back put there's too many of them! Oh well, at least I know that my hair will be thick and pretty again in 6 months or so.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    pontails sometimes give me headaches too... I have fairly straight , very long hair...and I like it a with a little bit of curl...so I kind of kill 2 birds with one stone... I got a set of hairsticks, and make 2 sort of twisty buns...hold the hair like you are going to do a high pigtail.... holding the hairstick a few inches from my head..start wrapping it around and around the stick...tucking the end under so it doesnt unravel and then twisting it either clockwise, or counterclockwise, whichever feels like it's not going to come undone....tuck the end of the hairstick in just to secure it for a moment.

then i get out some coated hairpins... they are sort of along u shape... i think goody makes them... coated with a soft material...stick in the hair better... and start pinning all around the hairstick until it feels pretty secure..then take the actual hairstick out... sounds complicated, but takes like 2 minutes once you are used to it ;)

Most of the time doing this rather then a regular ponytail does NOT give me a headache... because it's not as tight all around... and the advantage is, no more having to use a curling iron...ever... ;)
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My hair is super long (almost to my butt now - I NEED a cut) and very thick. I usually go there with it in a ponytail, but within minutes it is tied up at the top of my head in a messy bun-ish looking thing. I tie it up as if I was going to put it in a pony tail, but then don't pull it all the way through. I cannot have my hair down and on my neck when I'm sweating... ugh

Usually looks something like these links:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/03/article-2044757-0E33711E00000578-602_472x607.jpg
    http://cdn.sheknows.com/lovingyou/filter/l/gallery/mary_charteriseasyupdos_picnik.jpg
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have super fine wispy hair, so it's usually in a ponytail or a bun (if I haven't straightened it) with one of those thin elastic headbands with the rubberized inside to keep all the flyaways down. When my hair was really long when I was younger, a french braid was the best way for me to keep it out of my hair without pulling as much on my head, but I could never do them for myself...and my hair isn't long enough anymore anyway.
  • incendia3
    incendia3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! Hopefully some of these ideas work.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I have long, very curly hair and it's always up, anyway. But when I'm working out I tend to prefer 3-4 little "octopus clips" (that's what they call them, I swear) for a stronger hold, as opposed to a hair tie. I just toss it up in a messy bun/twist and add clips til it stays. It drives me crazy when I use a hair tie and my hair just slowly falls down the more I move and I have to take it down & put it back up 7 times during my workout.

*This is only ever problematic when one is directly at the back of my head and I lay on a mat to do crunches or something (but I don't really do crunches anyway, so it usually works out;).
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Just get it cut off. Much easier and on most people it looks better.
  • incendia3
    incendia3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    People would cry if I cut my hair. Myself included.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes wear it doen other wise I wear it in a bun, I make it loose enough so it doesn't pull on my head and make sure the hair is evenly distruputed so it doesn't pull on one side
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    When I exercise, I have to put it in a bun and clip my bangs or I get driven insane. I have found myself trying to push my bangs out of my face while doing an overhead press and almost knocked myself out with the dumbbell. Not my finest moment..

Bhahahaha - I did this too!!!
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I put mine up in a ponytail (or two) when I work out. Otherwise I just get too hot and sweaty, yuck! My hair is naturally super curly, and I don't ever bother straightening it, just let it do its thing.
  • loudvoice1
    Options
    My hair is extremely thick, and used to be VERY long (down to my mid-calf, no joke!)...but I get it thinned and trimmed every six weeks, and it's way more manageable now. It's down to a couple of inches below my shoulders now, but is so thick...I usually pull it up in a pony tail, but it's so hard to know what to do - I get headaches from it too...I can NOT cope working out with it down, but usually end up taking pain killers for a headache after my workout....sorry, I'm not much help!...............................
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have pretty long hair so I will do a single braid, then wrap the braid up in a bun to keep it off my neck. It works really well, and keeps my braid from whipping me or getting in the way of squats.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have tried this but banana clips NEver stay in my hair during the day and forget it if I'm trying to actually run it will fall out right away :/