Weight loss without exercise

Options
I have a question which I'm sure others have asked...do you have a success story that involves losing weight WITHOUT exercising?? Reason for me asking is because I, myself, have slowly but surely lost weight without exercising like I should. I am a terrible procrastinator who will put off exercise til tomorrow, then the next day, and so on. I am eating alot better but just can't get motivated to do a workout!!!

Replies

• strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I rarely exercise and I've gone from 117 to 103 lbs. Actually, when losing weight, diet is the most important thing.
  • ldominguez1986
    ldominguez1986 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here is someone who has had a ton of success with no exercise

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/558712-100-days-34-lbs-no-exercise-you-can-do-it
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    to a certain extent it is possible but thats only based on the fact that you need a certain amount of calories per day so sustain a body weight, muscle needs a lot of calories to sustain compared to fat cells but none the less the body needs calories, so lets use an example of a 200 lb athletic male, he would need anywhere from 18-22 calories per pound of body weight or else he will lose mass and weight, same will be true for anyone, at a certain weight you need a certain amount of calories so if you eat below that level you will lose weight gradually and slowly but only to an extent after a while you will level off and either gain weight or plateu on a certain level, true health and fitness cannot be achieved through diet alone you have to find an excercise program that you can enjoy and sustain, there is a huge difference between losing weight and becoming athletic, ive seen plenty of thin people that I would not consider athletic at all
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising. However, you will probably look better feel better and be healthier too if you do exercise. Taut well used muscles look better than squishy. Plus, muscle burns calories at a faster pace....so you can eat a bit more and remain trim. (I said a bit.....not a lot). Your diet and exercise complement each other.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Do you want to be skinny and flabby? Or firm and fabulous? Muscle keeps you young, and keeps your bones strong so you're not a hunched over old lady. Also, keep Type II Diabetes away, and other weight and diet related problems. There are so many reasons to exercise, looking good is really just a bonus!

Not that diet isn't important, because it is VERY important! You can't exercise away bad eating, so at least if you're eating healthy and unprocessed foods that's a very good start!

Find an exercise that you really enjoy, and decide the day before (or even plan the whole week before) what you will be doing, and what time. Then don't break the date with yourself, you're important!!! You will start having more energy, and your healthy eating will show more quickly on your body!

And drink lots of water!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Exercise does more than help lose weight. It helps your heart...it helps with being able to do everyday things....walk up stairs..carry groceries...basically enjoy life. There is also the fact of being nice and tone....cannot happen without exercise......what will happen you will lose the weight but still have the flab...so you need to decide. You can start by doing as little as 10 minutes a day...no matter what...it's more than most people...
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    A person on another website posted once,

You eat to lose weight, you exercise for good health.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight without exercise in the past but did not like the way I looked, I found my body and face looked a bit "sickly". I much prefer the results of exercise and eating healthy.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have a question which I'm sure others have asked...do you have a success story that involves losing weight WITHOUT exercising?? Reason for me asking is because I, myself, have slowly but surely lost weight without exercising like I should. I am a terrible procrastinator who will put off exercise til tomorrow, then the next day, and so on. I am eating alot better but just can't get motivated to do a workout!!!

You will probably have longer success than those that eat wrong for the level of exercise they are doing, thinking they are speeding up the process.

While you have the simplest method right now, you can still help or hinder it by eating too little.

Just remember when you get closer to goal weight and want to exercise because it will be easier then, please remember to feed the workouts and your body then.
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's an extreme case, but my brother was recently paralyzed in an accident. He was 308 lbs when it happened, and we were able to keep some of his muscle mass due to therapy, but his only activity was physical therapy. His doctor said he lost muscle, but also lost about 25% of his current bodyfat due to his diet changes (you can't eat crap if your sister insists on feeding you in a healthy fashion). :)

So yes, it's possible.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I did, but only to a point.

I initially lost 20lbs when I was 13. My diet was terrible. I ate big portions, fried food, and I drank pretty much exclusively sodas. There was so much room for improvement, when I cleaned up my diet, the weight went away pretty quickly. I got down to about 130lbs, whereas my goal was 120. And I sat there... for almost 10 years. My weight fluctuated between 130 and 140lbs, tipping up higher to the 135-140 range in college. Keep in mind my diet was still relatively healthy, and I did make attempts at working out from time to time, usually 30 minutes on the elliptical.

I've finally hit my lowest weight at 124 in the past six months at age 22. The big difference? I started working out regularly. I started running, but the thing that really made the biggest difference was I started lifting and working on building muscle. I still have five to ten more pounds to go, but I really don't believe I could have gotten to and maintained a weight below 130lb without the addition of a consistent workout routine.
  • lissymae11
    Options
    I'm sure it's possible, but exercise has so many other benefits too! You should try to fit at least a little bit in - even walking! You don't have to run marathons, but getting some exercise provides SO many health benefits!
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yes you can I have (well if you don't count long walks) but since I have 3 kids my stomach now looks a squishy mess as I haven't toned it so I am starting adding more than walking to my routine.
  • tyrog11
    tyrog11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

This ^^^^

I say you lose weight in the kitchen and build muscle in the gym. Anyone who says you have to exercise to lose weight is wrong. In fact, you will more than likely gain some (especially at first) and depending on your diet you may never see the scale go down (although you will lose some fat). I lost almost all of my weight with NO exercise. I consumed substantial Protein and retained the muscle I had. Now I am running and lifting and eating the right foods in the right macros and mostly just maintain...however I am losing inches at this point. You should decide what, exactly, you want to accomplish and then decide on your plan to accomplish it. Do you just want to be thin, lose a few pounds, have an athletic body, etc? At that point you can create your plan for getting there and then execute the plan! Good luck!!!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    It's not so black and white. I have lost 34 lbs without an official exercise program. But, I added more movement into my days: taking stairs (down 7 flights, but not up the same number), walking up the stairs in a parking garage (3-4 flights), walking briskly when I have to run errands. Occasionally lifting light weights at home, and my latest: trying to do some pushups every other day.

I build muscle easily and in the past when I overdid exercise, I found I was really hungry. I focused on my eating for a few days at a time, but because I exercised so much, I felt I could eat mostly anything, within reason.

I would say just try to move more in general.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Weight loss with lean mass sacrifice?
    Keep in mind that at some point you will come to know the term "Skinny-Fat" and you will have to eat above TDEE to make up the lean mass.
    Start lifting today.
    =D
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Was coming here to post this.

You don't need to go to the gym to exercise. It can be just walking around the block.
  • Nokarot
    Nokarot Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Probably the biggest words of wisdom here. Right now, I'm just dieting via portion control 'cause I don't have the motivation to exercise, and I've lost 18 lbs. My diet isn't necessarily the most nutritious thing ever, it's just a mixture of calorie control and discipline. If I want to eat a bowl of frozen yogurt for breakfast, I do, so long as it's within my calorie limit.

I'm not necessarily advising this, just reinforcing the idea that it's possible to lose weight without exercise. I'm completely sedentary and have had success thus far. When I reach my weight loss goal, I'll still be out of shape, yes, but right now my fitness goal isn't to be a bodybuilder, just to be skinnier. What I'm doing isn't the "optimal" way, I'm well aware, but given motivation/depression issues, it's pretty much the only thing I think I can successfully do. Hopefully, looking at a thinner me will give me the confidence boost to decide to get fit, as well, rather than just skinny.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I lost over 30 lbs before I even started my workout routine. That said, I continue doing my routine because I like doing it, not because it has any effect on my wieght loss.