What size weights are the best for a woman to tone arms?

Options

Replies

• maruxf
    maruxf Posts: 39
    Options
    It's not the amount of weight, it's the number of reps and the intensity of those reps.

It is my opinion that you should be doing 3 sets of 12-20 reps (I personally would go for 15). Now Choose a weight that you will have a hard time getting the 15th (or whatever your last rep is) rep up.

Low weight, high rep (12-20), to positive failure (you can do no more exercises) = Toning
    Medium weight, medium rep (8-12), to positive failure (you can do no more exercises) = Toning and Building Muscle
    High weight, low rep (4-8), to positive failure (you can do no more exercises) = Building Muscle

IMOP, the key is to get to a positive failure at the given rep goal you have for the exercise. If you can seemingly go on and on forever with a given weight, it's too light. Their is a balance to getting the most out of the time you spend working out.

I hope that makes sense, and these are my opinions, so I'm sure someone won't agree, but it's worked for me.

This, plus try making it a circuit by doing a set of mountain climbers between sets of lifting.
  • Vany21
    Vany21 Posts: 2
    Options
    You want to do a weight that you can feel the burn. If you are going through all three reps easy then you need to up your weight. For example, if you started with 5 and you are flying through those, then go up 1-3 pounds more. Your first rep should be fairly easy, second a bit harder, and last one should really have you feeling those muscles. Also do a variety of exercises. Don't stick just to one all the time. Your muscle will program that routine and you wont see improvement as much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    If by "pole fitness" you mean exercise classes in which women simulate strippers, surely there must be workouts that are more dignified and less sexist.
    Subjective. Don't see it at being undignified and sexist. The amount of strength and "art" it takes to do this takes discipline. Whether you feel it's for you or not is your prerogative, but for many this is a great workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If by "pole fitness" you mean exercise classes in which women simulate strippers, surely there must be workouts that are more dignified and less sexist.
    Subjective. Don't see it at being undignified and sexist. The amount of strength and "art" it takes to do this takes discipline. Whether you feel it's for you or not is your prerogative, but for many this is a great workout.
    Yep. It's gymnastics.

Would it make you feel better if it were men? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wninSMqhISk <-- crappy quality video, but uh-maze-ing!!!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Whoever said bodyweights exercises^.
    Listen to them, its a great way to tone up.

Also, and I know Im very biased, but if there are any pole fitness classes near you, get yourself along. Its an amazing way to tone and build muscle. Ive just gotten to the point where my back and arms have suddenly 'popped' and are becoming noticeabley more muscular.
    Pole fitness takes LOTS of strength. In fact the amount of strength it takes is much higher than some of standard exercises like bench press since balance is very important.

IDEA Fitness member

They're not actually stripping. It's basically a reinvention of gymnastics. *sigh* Prudes.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    well, i have lost almost 30 pounds since Sept when i started weight lifting... here are my legs... they are improving and look WAY WAY WAY better....

i have been doing about 8 reps and when that becomes easy enough for me to do 9 i go up...that simple... i am now up to 300 pounds on the leg press, around 90 on the leg curl and leg extension, and about 75 pounds for squats(they are hard!!!!) and also about 40 pounds doing stiff legged deadlifts on a box....and i hardly look bulky...in fact i think i look slimmer.

i am going to look into the book everyone has been suggesting...thanks all.

OH!!! and one more thing!!! i feel like lifting has made it so much easier to lose weight and EAT! burn baby burn!

Do you think if a man did your routine since September that he would be bulked up now?
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    The point that often gets missed in these discussions is that most ordinary women don't want to get bigger, forget about bulking up, in any area other than their arms, assuming they have thin or average arms. It may depend on individual body structure and physiology, but most women do get bigger from strength training. So if a woman is concerned about this and has gotten down to the lowest body fat percentage that is reasonable for her she may not want to use heavy weights on areas in which she is prone to distribute body fat. Because muscle in an area where you have fat deposits tends to make you look bigger.

To look like a professional body builder takes extraordinary training and commitment and often steroids. But most women are not concerned about that level of development.

A lot of women don't lift heavy, because they don't want muscular arms like Jillian Michaels. They may use the word bulk, but what they mean is muscular arms. Lets keep in mind that both men and women can bulk up and plus that it takes time for both a man and woman to bulk up. I hate the muscular arms look. My goal is not to have arms like Jillian Michaels or any of the other muscular arms women. I know how I want my arms to look and I don't have to lift heavy or even weights to get them there.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You do realize that Jillian Michaels is a PROFESSIONAL who's been working at her body for YEARS?!

Personally, I don't think her arms are even all that big. Nice deltoids, but her biceps aren't huge or anything.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    SKinny and flabby is not sexy. Shape and tone are a sign of good health.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • walber
    walber Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    great info! Thanks for sharing. I think many of us can use your tips
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    A lot of women don't lift heavy, because they don't want muscular arms like Jillian Michaels. They may use the word bulk, but what they mean is muscular arms. Lets keep in mind that both men and women can bulk up and plus that it takes time for both a man and woman to bulk up. I hate the muscular arms look. My goal is not to have arms like Jillian Michaels or any of the other muscular arms women. I know how I want my arms to look and I don't have to lift heavy or even weights to get them there.
    Like many you still don't understand that muscular definition is the result of low bodyfat. Don't want the muscular look, then don't let your bodyfat drop under 20%.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm going to laugh when all the anti-lifting women have osteoporosis in their later years that could've been prevented from weight bearing activity.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If your purse weighs more than your weights, you're not going to see any results.

Lifting should be challenging. If I'm not struggling after 10 reps, I know I need to go up. I think I started my bicep curls at maybe 15lbs? I current lift 20, and probably need to move up but the next weight is 30lbs, so I'm trying to work my way up to that. Some of my other arm lifts I do more or less, depending on how I feel.

Unless you do 'roids or have an unnatural amount of testosterone, you likely won't "bulk up." So challenge yourself.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    That makes sense to a point ( I am almost 40 and have NEVER exercised before... so please excuse my ignorance... I dont want to "bulk" up... but do want to tone my muscles and make them well defined... I hope that makes sense...

You won't bulk up, women don't have the hormones for that :smile: The women that do, naturally, spend years training specifically to do that and they eat A LOT!

As many others have said, it's more the rep range that's important. Higher weight and less reps do more for "toning" than high reps do. You may have heard the whole "high reps tone and low reps bulk / build muscle", that's just a myth. What builds you muscle is food (a calorie surplus), and testosterone (which men have plenty more of) combined with the right training, not just lifting on its own. Pick a weight you can do for around 6-8 reps, the last couple should be a struggle but maintaining good form.

Also, free weight compound lifts are awesome! Isolation exercises and machines have their place, but nothing can compare to the compound lifts IMO.

Hope this helps :drinker:

^^this
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    You do realize that Jillian Michaels is a PROFESSIONAL who's been working at her body for YEARS?!

Personally, I don't think her arms are even all that big. Nice deltoids, but her biceps aren't huge or anything.

i know right? i dont understand why people think that they will lift a heavy weight a few times and overnight miraculously their arms will look like jillian michaels or anyone else who trains for years and years, probably spends a good amount of time with isolation movements and eats a special diet. :laugh:

if it were that easy to get that look then why oh why would people need steroids, dietary supplements, diet tweaking, etc?
  • anorrybot
    anorrybot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You should be fatigued at 8 reps using the heaviest weight you can handle. I use 30 pound freeweights for flys, straight presses, single arm rows, tricep extensions (one weight only). 20 pounds for bicep curls and shoulder presses. 10 for T-flys. I try to add two reps each week till I reach 16 then I'll add more weight or do an extra set.
    But to really see definition you need to concentrate on your diet, limiting sugar, no fried foods, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and making sure you have protein at each meal.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's not the amount of weight, it's the number of reps and the intensity of those reps.

It is my opinion that you should be doing 3 sets of 12-20 reps (I personally would go for 15). Now Choose a weight that you will have a hard time getting the 15th (or whatever your last rep is) rep up.

Low weight, high rep (12-20), to positive failure (you can do no more exercises) = Toning
    Medium weight, medium rep (8-12), to positive failure (you can do no more exercises) = Toning and Building Muscle
    High weight, low rep (4-8), to positive failure (you can do no more exercises) = Building Muscle

IMOP, the key is to get to a positive failure at the given rep goal you have for the exercise. If you can seemingly go on and on forever with a given weight, it's too light. Their is a balance to getting the most out of the time you spend working out.

I hope that makes sense, and these are my opinions, so I'm sure someone won't agree, but it's worked for me.

You do know that there is no such thing as toning right? Doing high reps is basically just cardio. Pointless for the purposes of weight lifting or gaining muscle. Terrible advice.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I'm going to laugh when all the anti-lifting women have osteoporosis in their later years that could've been prevented from weight bearing activity.
    :laugh:

and i just wanted to post a picture of a lady , ernestine shepherd, who's 75 and has been lifting heavy (and runs 10 miles a day) for 20 years

ht_ernestine_shepherd_100427_mn.jpg

even though she's been at it 20 years she definitely doesnt have jillian's arms. i suppose that's because one can always look in the mirror and adapt their routine according to what results they want,