What size weights are the best for a woman to tone arms?

Options

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If training worked like so the women's fitness industry wants you to think it does, then every guy would be ripped as hell after a few weeks of lifting.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am just getting into the cardio and strength training routine and currently I am using 5 pound weights in high reps... I am not seeing much in the way of results in my arms ( especially the waddle underneath my arms...) Is this a good size to continue with and it just takes time, or should I bump up the weights?

What kind of workouts are you doing? Are you working out to a workout dvd/vhs, the gym or on your own? I don't believe in lifting heavy, because I know that a person doesn't have to lift heavy to get results, so I would never suggest that to anyone.

What are you basing your "knowledge" on?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I am just getting into the cardio and strength training routine and currently I am using 5 pound weights in high reps... I am not seeing much in the way of results in my arms ( especially the waddle underneath my arms...) Is this a good size to continue with and it just takes time, or should I bump up the weights?

What kind of workouts are you doing? Are you working out to a workout dvd/vhs, the gym or on your own? I don't believe in lifting heavy, because I know that a person doesn't have to lift heavy to get results, so I would never suggest that to anyone.

Don't expect to get far with that one. I'm sure after you ask her for some proof she'll block you like she has a lot of others.
  • ivyamom
    ivyamom Posts: 16
    Options
    Any total gym users? How do you log? any links u can send? No ideas new to all this....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Whoever said bodyweights exercises^.
    Listen to them, its a great way to tone up.

Also, and I know Im very biased, but if there are any pole fitness classes near you, get yourself along. Its an amazing way to tone and build muscle. Ive just gotten to the point where my back and arms have suddenly 'popped' and are becoming noticeabley more muscular.
    Pole fitness takes LOTS of strength. In fact the amount of strength it takes is much higher than some of standard exercises like bench press since balance is very important.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

If by "pole fitness" you mean exercise classes in which women simulate strippers, surely there must be workouts that are more dignified and less sexist.

The poster was talking about pole fitness not pole dancing - do a search on "chinese pole acrobat" - you will not see a stripper tassle in sight! And at least half are of guys!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm going to laugh when all the anti-lifting women have osteoporosis in their later years that could've been prevented from weight bearing activity.
    :laugh:

and i just wanted to post a picture of a lady , ernestine shepherd, who's 75 and has been lifting heavy (and runs 10 miles a day) for 20 years

ht_ernestine_shepherd_100427_mn.jpg

even though she's been at it 20 years she definitely doesnt have jillian's arms. i suppose that's because one can always look in the mirror and adapt their routine according to what results they want,

Wow...just wow (good wow btw)!!
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I started lifting yesterday, only starting at 5kg, but can feel it today and couldnt do my normal run this morning :embarassed:

However nothing ventured, nothing gained (or lost of course)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere. I started with 5lb dbs for most everything. Now I use 25 for shoulder presses and 35 for steps up and lunges and a big old heavy barbell for everything else. The idea, like everyone has said so far, when 8 reps becomes easy, up the weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options

Her body and her own workouts........................................

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Her body and her own workouts........................................

IDEA Fitness member

And her own definition of 'results'
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Also, and I know Im very biased, but if there are any pole fitness classes near you, get yourself along. Its an amazing way to tone and build muscle. Ive just gotten to the point where my back and arms have suddenly 'popped' and are becoming noticeabley more muscular.
    Pole fitness takes LOTS of strength. In fact the amount of strength it takes is much higher than some of standard exercises like bench press since balance is very important.

IDEA Fitness member

If by "pole fitness" you mean exercise classes in which women simulate strippers, surely there must be workouts that are more dignified and less sexist.

The poster was talking about pole fitness not pole dancing - do a search on "chinese pole acrobat" - you will not see a stripper tassle in sight! And at least half are of guys!

Thank you for the clarification. :smile:
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I cant thank you all ( yall, really, I am a southern girlie!) for all the responses... really helped clarify somethings... I worked out with 10 pounds tonight.. I know... but I am just starting out!... and my arms are like jello...again, thank you!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

By 'pole fitness' I mean classes in which both women AND men learn how to perform aerial acrobatics, dance gracefully and control their weight by learning how to hold it in ways you would probably think a bit impossible.
    There is nothing remotely undignified or sexist, apart from people archaic attitudes towards pole as a form of exercise.

Seriously, tell me THIS is sexist and undignified:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfRUQ-fukOA

I also dont mind calling it 'pole dance' I dance, Im a dancer, being able to link dance and tricks takes work and skill, but thanks for people helping defend. Pole gets a bad rep, yet if a lot of people knew what it was like in terms of fitness they'd give it a go. We get a lot of men come to our classes once they realise how good it is for strength building (love the indian pole video of the guy shoulder mounting on that thick pole, damn!).

Anyway, I digress, but dont mock something until youve tried/know more about it, you might just learn something :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    That makes sense to a point ( I am almost 40 and have NEVER exercised before... so please excuse my ignorance... I dont want to "bulk" up... but do want to tone my muscles and make them well defined... I hope that makes sense...

you CAN'T bulk up without steroids :grumble:
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    That makes sense to a point ( I am almost 40 and have NEVER exercised before... so please excuse my ignorance... I dont want to "bulk" up... but do want to tone my muscles and make them well defined... I hope that makes sense...

you CAN'T bulk up without steroids :grumble:

True, you won't bulk up without steroids. But your arms and shoulders will probably get bigger. Most women find that gratifying.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

By 'pole fitness' I mean classes in which both women AND men learn how to perform aerial acrobatics, dance gracefully and control their weight by learning how to hold it in ways you would probably think a bit impossible.
    There is nothing remotely undignified or sexist, apart from people archaic attitudes towards pole as a form of exercise.

Seriously, tell me THIS is sexist and undignified:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfRUQ-fukOA

I also dont mind calling it 'pole dance' I dance, Im a dancer, being able to link dance and tricks takes work and skill, but thanks for people helping defend. Pole gets a bad rep, yet if a lot of people knew what it was like in terms of fitness they'd give it a go. We get a lot of men come to our classes once they realise how good it is for strength building (love the indian pole video of the guy shoulder mounting on that thick pole, damn!).

Anyway, I digress, but dont mock something until youve tried/know more about it, you might just learn something :)

I already thanked you for the clarification; the mistake was easy to make because you weren't clear.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am using bands that way I have the option to shorten or lengthen as needed. I shut the top part into a door to do chin ups
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I am using bands that way I have the option to shorten or lengthen as needed. I shut the top part into a door to do chin ups
    The drawback of bands is that they are only a "progressive resistance" unit. What I mean by that is that when the bands are stretched the resistance increases, and as the bands contract they lose resistance. This only then applies force on the "concentric" contraction and none on the "eccentric" contraction. Eccentric contraction is necessary when trying to improve strength.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Women do not bulk up. I've been using 15s for front of the arm and 10s for tricep area. My arms are toning up nicely. =D Good luck.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    The drawback of bands is that they are only a "progressive resistance" unit. What I mean by that is that when the bands are stretched the resistance increases, and as the bands contract they lose resistance. This only then applies force on the "concentric" contraction and none on the "eccentric" contraction. Eccentric contraction is necessary when trying to improve strength.
    Can't you mitigate that by making sure you have resistance at your starting point (they aren't fully relaxed) and resist (control) the pull of the band during the eccentric part? Only a novice here, but it seems it would be similar if you use weights and let the weight pull you back to the starting point rather than keeping control of it all the way.