LADIES! Has your TOM went haywire since losing weight????

Options

Replies

• rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    my TOM has disappeared for like 3 months now :/ should i be concerned?

:huh: Yeah...especially if you haven't started any type of BC that could cause that as a side effect...pregnant much???

I wouldn't be too worried. Significant changes in weight loss or activity could effect this. Lot's of women athletes stop getting their TOM (Time of Month), due to intense exercise. I've lost so much weight and do a ton of cardio...haven't had my TOM since May 2010! I've been checked by my GP and OBGYN, tests run, etc. Nothing's happened. Can't say I've missed it! LOL
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    For me that has drastically slowed down my weight loss. In 3 months I've lost 16lbs, it is EXTREMELY frustrating but there's not a whole lot I can do. My doctor has said that if no cause is found with the internal then my only choice is to go back on the pill which I really don't want too.

Also since it is so regular this means I am not ovulating as well.

Ok, I just wanted to let you know, going back on the pill is NOT your only option. I was getting my period every three weeks, had horrible pms, weight gain, trouble losing weight, adult acne, was tired all the time, etc etc.

My MD wanted to put me on the pill becuae she said I had a hormonal imbalance. I asked if there was anything else, she told me the there was a bio identical hormone cream I could use that after time would fix the problem, but because its not prescription, it takes longer than if you were prescribed hormones (the pill). The lady MD that came up with the formula and sells it is a bit on the.....Christian side, but I don't mind that so much. Cause in three months my period is back to normal, I have more energy, the acne is all gone save one blemish or so a month during TOM. I probably could have fixed it in one month with BC. But BC does horrible things to me, including vomiting and headaches, etc.

Thanks! I really do not want to go back on BC :/
  • FHerndon01
    Options
    I went from having no periods thanks to my PCOS to it being a constant now. Between the metforim and my dropping weight I think it is just adjusting to the changes. I am seeing my doctor every 3 months so I will talk to her at the next appointment. This has happened before.
  • sdag
    sdag Posts: 29
    Options
    My period has been sporadic and irregular ever since I got it at age 12. I have PCOS and after losing a lot of weight, eating healthy and exercising, it is the most regular ever! I get it around the same time every month and I'm not on the pill anymore. I also don't have cramps *knocks on wood*, but my PMS is out of control. I guess that's the price I pay for no cramps.

I hope yours comes soon. I eat a lot of fat, around 70-90g (healthy fats, olive oils and nuts).
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Mine has changed too. I never use to spot before a period and for the past 5 months or so I have been. I have not had more then 1 a month but it has come a week early from time to time or a few days late.
  • beccci91
    Options
    hmmm seems like the norm is for it to stop rather than have more than 1
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    YES! I have tracked my cycles since I got married 6 years ago, & they have always been very regular, 27-28 days. 3 cycles ago, I was 2 weeks late. The next cycle, I started a week early. This cycle, I am 2 weeks late & counting! I exercise a lot & am training for a half marathon, & did the triple crown of racing last month. I wonder if that could by why???
  • ErinI5787
    ErinI5787 Posts: 18
    Options
    My TOM has been like clockwork since dropping this weight. I still have about 40 or so lbs to go but dropping 30 has made my body snap out of its funk. We even had an unplanned pregnancy in February that took one "oops" when our son took 7 months to be conceived (when I was 190). Sadly that pregnancy in February ended quickly... but it gives me hope that with this weight loss when we choose to have another, it might not take very long because of my healthier body.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    time of the month, RIGHT OKAY,
    never heard that one before; learn something new everyday (:

to redeem myself:
    I initially lost weight too fast and in a not-completely healthy manner (under 600 calories a day), and even though I never reached an underweight BMI, I skipped two periods. I think your body may need an adjustment period, regardless as to how you're losing weight. Your body takes time to adapt to change. Of course, other things can be at play too, not just weightloss. With me it took a return to a higher intake and some weight gain for my periods to come back (straight back into their regular routine, too).

Currently not the case though because I got implanon inserted three months ago, and its hellish.
  • beccci91
    Options
    When I started I was having 1200 calories a day and not I'm about 1500-1600 although I usually go over with exercise cals :/
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my life, my TOM went to a normal cycle when I started working out and losing weight. The cramping is almost nothing and as long as I don't work legs the week before, I usually don't have the tiredness I used to have.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yes! I haven't gotten my period since the beginning of January. Idk what's wrong with me :\
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options

yes.
    starvation mode and maybe wrecking your chances to have children. i would def go to the dr not mfp
  • Skinny4BG
    Skinny4BG Posts: 145
    Options
    The only thing that has happened to mine, was it started coming early. Like clockwork ever since having my daughter it always came on the 6th... and now its coming on the 2nd... So nothing too haywire... just gotta get prepared earlier. haha!
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    the lower the body fat the less periods you will have I had very very low body fat and I didnt have my first period til i was 21.

I would suggest taking a b100 Complete vitamin, it will normalize your hormones. I went from normal periods and started strength training where I am burning at 1200 calories a day. TOM is one week early and I mainly just spot upwards to 10 days.

Just remember the female body was not designed to have really low body fat or be extremely athletic.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Periods can be so dang frustrating Period.. LOL

There are so many things that can effect the regularity of ones tom.. and unfortunately this isn't a one size fits all type of thing. I found my triggers for irregularity are STRESS and sometimes NOTHING. I've read that weight loss can effect it, stress can effect it, medications can effect it.. etc. etc..

bottom line, if you're concerned, talk with your doctor. Because I certainly don't hold a MD after my name. Good Luck
  • beccci91
    Options
    the lower the body fat the less periods you will have I had very very low body fat and I didnt have my first period til i was 21.

I would suggest taking a b100 Complete vitamin, it will normalize your hormones. I went from normal periods and started strength training where I am burning at 1200 calories a day. TOM is one week early and I mainly just spot upwards to 10 days.

Just remember the female body was not designed to have really low body fat or be extremely athletic.

ohh my body fat is too high! 39%! lol so not that
  • denjoh17
    denjoh17 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am not 100% sure, and it also took me a while to figure it out, I think....time of month??
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Low bodyfat levels in women mess with your hormones. Pauline Nordin talks about this. Search for her.
    In studies there actually was no significant difference between body composition or hormonal levels among people who exercised copiously and still had regular periods compared to the same but with irregular TOM. The problem actually lies in lack of energy stores in the body from a caloric deficit + exercise. The body doesn't have enough calories to expend on a normal menstrual cycle.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Basically as soon as I began to lose weight mid January I have been getting my TOM every two weeks.

I thought I was just losing track of time, but no: my period has definitely been coming earlier and it seems, more often.