FITBIT device has anyone tried it?

Options
2»

Replies

• lac5454
    lac5454 Posts: 5
    Options
    I love my fitbit...I love the way it puts in the calories that I burned directly in MFP. Also as a side note I washed my first one by accident and contacted fitbit.com...Guess what they sent me a new one right out didn't have to pay a dime or send the old one back!!! Now thats above customer service.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! My BF just got one as well. Great motivator, not only to do more but to eat more as well.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am going to get a Fitbit and compare it with my HRM during workouts. I have a Polar F6 and have never looked at as a calorie burn tool. I never really felt the HRM was particularly accurate for that purpose, and of course it is only good for the workout.

It only counts steps. It doesn't count high heart rate.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Boyfriend has a fitbit. His numbers seem higher than they should be, so I don't know what formula they use. Also, you have to be careful when on busses or cars.

I have a bodybugg. I love it and find it to be accurate with the major down side of you wear it pretty publically on your arm and then have to explain it to everyone. But I'm sure they didn't think that I accidentally lost 30 pounds... I can't really "hide" that I lost weight, or that it took effort to do so.

I wore a bodybugg for two years...and I loved it! But I worked for 24HR Fitness and my monthly subscription was free. That costly subscription is just not worth it to me, especially if I can get something almost as good for much less. (BTW, this was in 2007 and it was the big ugly Bugg!)
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it track all movement? BodyBugg doesn't track HR either, but is more accurate than a HRM.
  • ladybb7
    ladybb7 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of misconceptions about the fitbit and stairs and cars. I've read comments about how the fitbit tracks when you are driving, in my experience it has been VERY minimal since it is based on body movements. Also mine doesn't track on escalators, elevators etc. It only tracks floors when you are stepping/running on an incline. I love my fitbit, I totally recommend it. Check out the FAQ on their website.
  • HealthierMimi
    HealthierMimi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My daughter has one, she loves it. :wink:
  • grannynickel
    grannynickel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. Sometimes it doesnt track stairs accurately though.

According to FitBit, stairs are measured in elevation changes of 10 feet, so that might account for the inaccuracy you are getting. It helped me to make sense of it. If you are walking or running and change elevation, i.e., hills, that will be counted as steps and stairs. Hope this helps.
  • Apple1454
    Apple1454 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been using it for one week.
    I like the feedback it gives and the reports that are automatically loaded to its site so I can look at my activity times for each day.
    The sleep tracking feature is neat too.
    It seems to measure elevation instead of stair steps. I just put a couple of flights on when I mowed my lawn that is on a hill using a riding mower.
    I like the fact that I can quickly check it during the day, It makes me feel more responsible for my activity since I don't regularly check in with another person.
    The fitbit site also offers logs for B/P and blood glucose.
    I bought mine for 89 dollars on ebay. The first one didn't work but the fitbit company immediately sent another - even tho I bought it from a private seller.
    Best wishes as you make your choice.
  • Amygrl559
    Amygrl559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I was thinking about buying a Fitbit, myself but had some questions about it. Now, from reading everyone's responses, I'm excited about getting one! Thank you so much!!
  • Curt959
    Curt959 Posts: 21
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I lost my first fitbit after using it only 3 weeks and I quickly bought a new one (and have used it about 5 weeks! Whereas I have a few questions regarding its accuracy; I look at the data it produces as being "relative", given it has served its purpose as a tool in my weight loss journey. Since I've been using it, I've lost ~30 lbs! I feel confident it will assist me with loosing another 20 lbs., enabling me to reach my goal weight.
  • Jeslynn81
    Jeslynn81 Posts: 25
    Options
    Love mine! :) Was worth the $ in my opinion. I am buying a HRM as well
  • marzekiel
    marzekiel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been using mine since September, and it was the initial motivator for my weight release of 35 lbs. It made me mindful and aware of what I was doing--how active and inactive I was. That turned into my increasing activity. I do NOT use it for "weight" advice or input (hey, it's a hardware gadget company!), and the community doesn't really communicate with each other, it's better to come here or to Loseit for support.

I have bought eight fitbits for me, family, friends. So you know I believe in it.

Realize, this is not a medical device and no two will give the same results--it's only relative, like a scale. This morning, I tested with three with the same setings at the same time (from the time I went to bed to the time I went to my computer in the morning), and the results varied. For instance, one had 82 steps, one 85 and one 121. And for calories (ignore that--the food plan is just silly IMO) the 82 calorie one said I had burned 230 and the one that said I had gone 121 steps said I had burned 213 calories for exactly the same time. Heheheh.

That said, I'm not in a scientific study. I just want to approximate my activity, and it is most useful to compare my steps on the same fitbit. Again, when I weigh myself on one scale it will not give the exact results as another scale, so I like to monitor on the same one.

Frankly, I think it's worth the money. It keeps me aware. And that awareness and mindfulness has paid off with a more fit and slender me.

Oh yes, I also love, love, love Endomondo for following me on my walks and travels. I like seeing the GPS map of where I've been.
  • lookinglasslass
    lookinglasslass Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering what Fitbit is for a while. After reading this, I looked it up and based on the advert and all the feedback on here... I WANT ONE!
    Have added it to my wishlist in the hope that I get one for my 30th birthday, looks like just the kind of thing I need to motivate me.
  • dreamzingreen
    dreamzingreen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i use that emondo too but sometimes it doesnt sem accurate...i found a good deal on a HRT monitor waiting for it in the mail
  • guddie
    guddie Posts: 1
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my Fitbit. Due to undiagnosed hypothyroidism and PCOS, I gained 96lbs in less than 2 years, and now am working towards losing all that extra weight through a combination of calorie counting via Lose It and Fitbit.

I started my diet on April 16th, got my fitbit on Monday, April 23rd and have not taken it off since. I've lost 17.2lbs in 12 days.

What initially was meant to just help me keep track of and encourage the minimal amount of activity required to lead a normal lifestyle has turned into a desire to be extremely active, fueled by the badges (achievements) and the fact that since then, I've converted two friends (1 with an interest in losing weight, another with an interest in staying healthy) into Fitbit users as well.

Now, staying active has turned into one of the most fun and engaging games ever - except instead of using your keyboard or PS3 controller, you're using your body as a tool.

From being the kind of person to take an average of no more than 3000 steps a day, climb 6 floors (only because we live in a typical SF apartment, on the 4th floor without an elevator), and walk 1.5mi - yesterday, I walked 10.47mi and took 25,076 steps.

To date, Fitbit has been the best investment I have made towards living a healthier lifestyle.

Fitbit Pros:
    - automatically syncs up with my laptop (and subsequently Loseit.com & Fitbit.com) every time I'm 15ft away
    - been using it for 6 days without charging and the battery's not even low
    - actually counted my steps in my head to check Fitbit's accuracy - and it was
    - it's always on my bra, and I often forget about it because I can't feel a thing
    - it's discreet
    - it's pretty good at tracking my sleep activity (so far)
    - it syncs up with my loseit.com account and helps adjust my allowed caloric intake
  • marzekiel
    Options
    Guddie, I'm with you 100%. My fitbit has a lotta quirks, but I wear it and refer to it almost religiously!

My weight gain was exacerbated by thyroid treatment together with HC. And, with the FB and LoseIt and MFP, I've gotten rid of it. I especially like seeing the sleep measure (of course, it only measures movement, but it's pretty cool) to see how many times I get up at night. I toggle back and forth (you have to go to the sleep screen) between "normal" and sensitive.

I've gotten FitBits for family and friends!
  • marzekiel
    Options
    I don't really believe anything is totally accurate. But I love to see the map of where I went on my walks, cuz I think gadgets are pretty cool. My major measure of my successes is my scale. Next, is my clothes. If I'm lighter and tighter, I'm succeeding at my fitness and my weight release.