Australian snacks, shopping lists etc

Options
124»

Replies

• EJDM
    EJDM Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    New to using the website... love these forum, especially this topic! I see people say BUMP when they want to keep up to day with the thread?! Do I need to press anything to do that or?!

My snacks:
    Yoplait Forme yogurts, I like strawberry & black cherry (about 68cals)
    Coles Lite Hummus Dip (40g) with carrot sticks (about 50 cals)
    Be Natural Berry Fruit Bars (110 cals - usually have half in the morning and half in the arvo)
    Lite Cruskits with tomatoes & cracked pepper (about 80 cals)
    Skinny Cow Cookie Ice-creams (122 cals - my after dinner snack)
    xx
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    bump.

Keen for some more ideas!
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Can you take a lunchbox or cooler bag thing with all of the components and just make them when you want to eat them? What about tinned tuna on crackers?

I guess that could work. Thanks! And I don't eat tuna, it's fish haha.
  • Starbec
    Starbec Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Can you take a lunchbox or cooler bag thing with all of the components and just make them when you want to eat them? What about tinned tuna on crackers?

I guess that could work. Thanks! And I don't eat tuna, it's fish haha.

Oops! Sorry - didn't read the vegetarian bit :)
  • Julienotclever
    Options
    some yummy things to try in here - thanks
  • tippietoes
    Options
    Last week, my sugar cravings were held in check by Atkin's Endulge- chocolate covered coconut bars. They taste exactly like a bounty but only 170 cal. It's also high fibre to bring down the net carbs.. yum!
  • amZhn
    amZhn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Kristy161089
    Options
    These are my fave snacks.

Raw almonds.
    Fruit (I limit myself to 2 serves a day though)
    Yoplait forme yoghurts ( I love the dessert range ones- Apple Pie is my fave. Also come in sticky date and cheesecake as well as fruit ones for about 70 cals. The forme SATISFY range is about 90cals)
    Uncle Toby's Bodywise bars- Apple Delight is my fave cos it has more fibre so I feel fuller (111 cals)
    Special K bars (85-90 cals)
    Weight Watchers anything!! Cookies, desserts, brownies, cakes. All pretty good calorie wise.
    Sakata wholegrain crackers (120 cals for 17 crackers)
    Vita Weat snacks- 87 cals per bag
    Sunrice thick rice cakes (70cals for 2) topped with avocado and pickles or low fat peanut butter or vegemite and low fat cheese or nutella for a treat
  • findingKylie
    findingKylie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I realy like some of the food suggestions on this web site http://www.mountainbread.com.au/cgi-bin/index.pl I have each of their cookbooks (they are free off that link) printed and in the kitchen some realy nice healthy vrs' of things i used to eat that were terribly high in Cals.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I realy like some of the food suggestions on this web site http://www.mountainbread.com.au/cgi-bin/index.pl I have each of their cookbooks (they are free off that link) printed and in the kitchen some realy nice healthy vrs' of things i used to eat that were terribly high in Cals.

Thank you so much! I have rye mountain bread sitting in my pantry and I only use them when I make falafel wraps. Didn't know I could get this creative! :-)
  • AppleJuiceMoney
    Options
    bump :)
  • georgiarenee
    Options
    Bump!
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    Someone might think I'm weird but I love Organic Bubs baby food options - it's all organic, minimally processed, tasty and offers a decent selection for various fruit and veggies. And you don't have to measure anything :). (I'm a big fan of baby food as healthy snacks).
  • katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention -

Queens Maple Flavoured Syrup - Artificial sugar in this one but it tastes AMAZING. 18 calories for a 35ml serving :)

I put it on my microwaved Superfood Barley and Oats (105 calories for 30 grams) in the mornings.

or

I put it on a peice of bread that I have soaked in one egg white and cooked (kind of like french toast)

so delish! I love this maple syrup :)

Aaah thank you so much! I;ve been looking for a better maple syrup, I use greens at the moment at its 40 calories a serve, I'm definitely going to look out for this one :)

While I'm here I'll add I found this really great pasta in Thomas Dux the other day, its made out of black beans, its gluten free, 187 calories, 16g of carbs and 21g of protein a serve. So, so good with chicken and soy sauce, it tastes like very naughty takeaway :D and probably the most filling food I've ever eaten.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I try and not snack but if I am too snack it will be something along the lines of

- Rice Cakes with Peanut butter quick and easy
    - A fresh made fruit salad.. Also quick and easy.
    - Nuts can be however high in calories but good fats
    - Tuna and where possible have it springwater, much better for you

I try and stay away from preservatives as much as possible.. There are many options out there however if your not too concernced about the preservatives
  • eat2live27
    Options
    great post!
    i'm eager to try out the slimpasta.
    uncle toby's instant oats are 100% wholegrain oats -a filling breakfast or snack at around 130 cals
    i love carrot and a handfull of almonds for a snack under 100 cals
    wholemeal english muffins with sanitarium natural pb and a small banana is my favourite filling snack
    edgell 4 bean and corn w/balsamic vinegar is great for vego protein and a filling snack at 120 cals
  • findingKylie
    findingKylie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This site i think has alot of food ideas too http://www.simplygreatmeals.com.au/html/recipes/ and also has a meal planner that you create with what food you and your family like. Im a big fan of planning ahead when it comes to meals, its when i dont have anything in mind that i end up eating food that are not so good for me.
    also has a vegetarian selection with (i believe) 188 recipies :)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    For those who live in Perth and are close to a Spudshep GO GO NOW. They are SO CHEAP it's not funny. I can get two weeks of fruit and veg for one person for $30. I have a friend that feeds a family of four for under $100 a week. (and that's including what they buy at Coles and Woolies) You can get 1kg of meat under $10 most of the time. Their pre-packaged food is often the same or more exy so be aware of what your normal buys are.
    Helgas sandwich thins are my new favourite! Theyre from woolies, and I eat greenseas tuna every day, the springwater cans are 75 cals or so and really filling.

I wanted to try them but they're so expensive. I use Ryvita crusts and they last two weeks. I do either Greenseas or John West Sweet Chilli tuna (depends on what's on sale!)

Another Skinny Cow fan. Didn't know they had cookies and cream will have to try that :)

Bulla frozen yoghurt is another fave.
  • onanoko
    onanoko Posts: 18
    Options
    Bump! Great thread, heaps of ideas.