Do you guys eat back your exercise calories?

Options
12346»

Replies

• MomOfJoey
    MomOfJoey Posts: 58
    Options
    How all are you? What type of job do you have - even though you say it is sedentary, do you get up an walk around? How active are you outside work when you are not exercising? I find that most people are not really sedentary (in the MFP context) and should really be at least at a lightly active setting.

5'0" and a teacher. It's not exactly a desk job though I do spend a good bit of it sitting. I walk around I guess. I have a toddler so I do some walking around ;)
  • mici0427
    mici0427 Posts: 54
    Options
    Wow! It never fails to amaze me how rude some people can be. Yes, this question has been asked before but new people come in every day and don't know how to use the site. Also, people learn by asking questions. If you don't like the thread or can't be positive and helpful to everyone why post? I tend to ignore something that irritates me...except in this case because there were so many. Seems like everyone could use positive feedback on this fitness journey not negative. If you can't say anything nice...you know the rest!!! And if you're still grumpy, splurge and eat a cookie!;-)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Anyway, if you have decent daily routine you can indeed nail down decently, this would probably work well for you, plus maximize that BMR and daily activity deficit that is the true fat burner compared to exercise done in a day.
    Really, who works out 1600-2000 calories daily anyway, sure hate to miss that burn.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method

I am still perplexed, though. I might just be dense. Is my BMR 1200? MFP says that is what I should be eating per day. I eat back exercise calories. So why I am I still losing muscle? How much more should I be eating? This is what is scary for people, and frustrating. You put in your humbers, you get your calorie allowance. You eat it + exercise, still got a fat stomach but smaller legs. Something is wrong. Eating MORE is the answer?!? How much more? How can that be?

No, your daily NET eating goal is 1200, MFP never said your BMR was until you manually ask. Here goes, get ready!

You enter age/weight/height, MFP calculates BMR but doesn't show you what it is (unless manually done - Tools - BMR calc).
    You enter activity level, which may have little to no bearing on reality, which takes BMR times some multiplier (1.25 for sedentary), for a daily maintenance NOT including exercise.
    You enter a weight loss goal (women of course select 2lbs wkly usually) that may or may not be wise, MFP says recommended 1lb (which will see may still not be wise at some point).
    MFP takes daily maintenance minus weekly goal lbs * 3500 / 7 (daily deficit) = daily goal. Unless it falls under 1200, in which case you get 1200.
    You are shown your Goals page where those facts are spelled out with confusing inclusion of your goal exercise amounts and calories - which have NO bearing on the math.
    But several places on this page use a phrase not used everywhere - "Net Calories Consumed* / Day" and "Net Calories Consumed*" and footnote "* Net Calories Consumed = Total Calories Consumed - Exercise Calories Burned".
    But it also says "Your Daily Goal".
    And of course your Food Diary page says after logging exercise - "*You've earned 1 extra calories from exercise today" and changes Your Daily Goal automatically.

How can that be that eating more can lose weight?
    BMR is basic metabolism for functions of life if in a coma 24 hrs, it needs so many calories to do all those functions. If it doesn't get them, the body has great survival mechanism, by just not doing some of them, in essence slowing down. (staying warm is easiest thing to stop, unless just really required for core temp. Muscle repair, muscle growth impossible, growing hair/skin well, fluid levels in every cell dealt with most required function still done as best as possible)

So what the body was willing to spend 1500 calories burning to accomplish, it now only has 1200 to do so, and it does so.
    With a slower metabolism though, all your other activities in addition to sleep now burn less too.
    What daily activity used to burn 800 calories on top of the 1500, now becomes 500 for instance, on top of the 1200. So lost 600 total calorie burn because of eating 300 less calories.
    There is a lag time for that - based on how much yo-yo dieting you've done and how fast your metabolism has seen this before, how big of a total deficit compared to previous eating level, how big a deficit under BMR now, genetics, food eaten, ect. 3 days in some studies, some on here find 3 weeks possible if the stars align well, because of those factors.
    That's if you net at 1200 because of eating back exercise.

Stop doing that because what used to be an 1100 calorie deficit (2300-1200) to previous eating level has slowly dropped to 500 cal deficit (1700-1200). So what started as 2lbs week at some point has reached 1lb.
    So you either start exercising more or drop cal's or stop eating back exercise lets say.
    So now eating at 1200, exercise takes 400 of that daily on avg. And that 400 is already less than it could be because of slower metabolism.
    So now your body has 800 to work with, what used to take 1500 to do. Every thing slows down more.
    Eventually, you have reached the wonderful level of:
    800 NET for BMR, so that is BMR, * 1.5 for moderate level of exercise 5 times a week = 1200.

Congrats - now eating at maintenance level!

2 directions, eat even less or exercise even more - I hope obvious what will shortly happen in that direction.
    Or eat enough to feed BMR and exercise, and let your daily activities that use mainly fat for energy create your deficit and burn it off.

That's what that link above provides, a method to ensure all that is done with all daily activity nailed as best it can, beyond 4 or 5 simple levels. Spreadsheet provided to make it simple in that link Topic.
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    What happens is that your body will dictate to you what it needs if you give it time. EVERYONE that starts this program asks this question. MFP is designed to keep you healthy. It is not a lose weight quick program. You WILL lose by following the guide lines. Unfortunately most people believe this to be pounds where as I find the biggest loss to be inches. I have lost 25 inches and 15 lbs. So to answer your question I eat back at least 1/2 or more of the exercise calories. I eat because I am hungry. If you are in this for the long haul you will be a much happier person. MEASURE each month. I can't stress this enough. I workout hard. I get hungry. I eat healthy choices most of the time. I am also set to lose 1lb. a week not 2lbs. which gives me 1440 cals. a day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How all are you? What type of job do you have - even though you say it is sedentary, do you get up an walk around? How active are you outside work when you are not exercising? I find that most people are not really sedentary (in the MFP context) and should really be at least at a lightly active setting.

5'0" and a teacher. It's not exactly a desk job though I do spend a good bit of it sitting. I walk around I guess. I have a toddler so I do some walking around ;)

If you are a teacher and have a toddler - you should be at a lightly active setting at least.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I eat most of them back. Nice to be able to have that calories leeway.
  • cimonroe
    cimonroe Posts: 36
    Options
    My answer is to fuel the body, and eat the portion of the calories back that doesn't leave you hungry. I'll have to say some of the comments to this (good) question shock me as to how OFF they are. I'm no expert in nutrition topics, but as a former D1 athlete and having since had a very high BF% and come back to very low BF% a couple of times (on and off because I quit excercise and diet). My opinion here comprises pieces of several posts. One thing I heard is that heavier people can support larger calorie deficits--I agree with this. Another, and this supports the last sentence is: it depends! But I think the toughest thing that most people are struggling with is patience! Healthy and substantial fat loss for someone who has an extremely high body fat %, tends to happen quickly given a better diet and excercise, but for someone like me now (200 lbs and 6 ft. My body fat is around 18%) who is soft(er) that I would like: those fat pounds take more time! Sure I COULD lose the weight quickly by creating calorie defecits and starving myself, but the body is composed of fat AND MUSCLE. Calorie deficits mean the mind tells the body to consume body mass, whether that be fat and/or muscle. From my experience a catabolic state happens when you excercise and starve yourself. You WONT get large fat losses by doing this all too quickly! --unless you have a much higher body fat %, fat then the process can work this way INItially

So say my goal is to lose 15 lbs of fat to get to around 6% while not gaining subtantial muscle mass (this is a ballpark figure). I set my profile accordingly: 1.5 lbs a week. I set my BMR as sedentary (Im a student and sit a lot all day) however, I just started excercising HARD for about an hour a day, 6 days a week.. So according to MFP for me, normal daily activity with NO EXCERCISE should burn 2360 cals. To lose 1.5 lbs/week i need to consume only 1700 or so cals everyday to create a 500 cal deficit...and do the math...at the end of the week this deficit should add up to 1.5 lbs of fat calories--- Now, today for example: I did a very intense plyometrics workout that my HRM told me 1000 cals. So: there are people telling me that to lose the most FAT and to look and feel best, that since my body has burned about 3300 cals today I should only eat 1700?! NO! We need to be patient and let the body work and use the fat on the body as energy! That means we MUST FUEL BACK TO COMPENSATE FOR THE INCREASED DEFICIT that excercise caused. Not necessarily ALL of it...but what makes you feel good Now for someone much fatter that doesn't do harder excercise, maybe not eating so much/any back can benefit. It depends . BE PATIENT. I know this was long, but I hope it helps! Good luck!!
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is interesting enough to read later.
  • jessibella714
    Options
    I get that, i snack throughout the day myself that way i dont feel hungry and i just dont feel the need to eat em back but im 5'3" and i weigh 242 lbs so far ive lost 8 which im sure is water weight but i feel stronger and happier already