How many carbs do you eat?

Options

Replies

• jcarnes66
    jcarnes66 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat as many carbs as I want. As long as I stay within my daily calorie allowance, I'm good. I eat way too many fruits to be concerned with carb intake. I try to stick to a 60-30-10 percentage but it doesn't always work out that way. If I am going to 'skimp' on one of the three, it's going to be fat. I do eat plenty of good fats, so again, I'm not too concerned with that. I've gone from 280 lbs to 235 in 3 months, so I know what is working for me.
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    none.
  • jcarnes66
    jcarnes66 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh and one other thing....this whole 'white rice is bad for you' thing makes me nauseous. Being half Japanese, I grew up eating rice. If eating white rice is so bad for you, why are Asians considered some of the most healthy people on Earth?? The difference - and as the cliche goes - is moderation. I got fat because I ate plate after plate of rice. Most Orientals only eat a small serving of it...and typically they eat 4-5 servings a day!

Just my 2 cents....
  • fitnessfashionista17
    fitnessfashionista17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat more protein so I eat around 100 per day.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Aiming for 40% of diet at the moment.
  • loadedwords
    loadedwords Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I eat around 200-240g daily on a low fat vegetarian diet. My goal is to have carbohydrates be about 55% of my total calories. I usually have 1 serving of whole grain bread and 1 serving of brown rice or other whole grain daily so most of my carbs come from fruit and vegetables.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Recently I started cutting out bread so I've been hitting around 50 - 90g. Before I was on 120-150 a day. I didn't purposefully aim to eat less carbs just less bread but it has worked for me currently. I still eat brown rice and wholemeal pasta though, just not as much. :)
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I can easily eat 200 carbs a day as well, and that's with semi-efforts to keep it low. Personally, I don't think the low-carb thing works for me as I still feel unsatisfied even when I eat a ton of protein. (Went through a phase where I was swept up with the high protein, low carb thing). My diet is pretty much vegetarian and verging on vegan if it weren't for the greek yogurt that I always stock up on. My mindset is just, "as long as it is relatively natural, it's okay to eat." I try to eat the same amount of fruits as I do vegetables in a day, but that's about it. Most of my carbs come from brown rice, fruit, and an occasional slice of ezekiel bread. For my meals, I just try to keep things balanced in terms of having some carbs, protein, and fruit or vegetables in there. I find that this balance is the only way for me to feel satisfied, and that I'll let the grams of carbs work themselves out in the end. So I would say as long as you're not unintentionally going over 300-350 a day, you should be fine. Different things work for different people, I suppose, because some people do seem to think carbs=fat and when they cut a large portion of it out, that works for them. But some of us need carbs, I think, especially if we're not meat eaters. I don't think carb intake matters if you're male or female. You can still lose weight if 60% of your caloric intake comes from carbs, as long as they are natural products- the less processed, the better. And again, this is just my opinion.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat meat, so most of my protein sources have carbs. I usually try to keep it under 200 and closer to 150, though some days it's a lot higher and others it's lower, depending on calories and how I feel. I feel best when I get 70-75 grams or more of protein per day, and I don't feel so hot if my carbs start creeping under 80 or 90.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I am vegan, and I eat around 200g carbs a day. I really like things like bagels and bread though, but it's working for me. Carbs make me a happy girl :)
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    90 - 120 carbs on a 1700 net cal diet.

I dont get too worked up over cutting out all carbs, but I do avoid all 'white foods' and sweet fruits almost completely to make this work. The exception is heavy workout days (800+cal) I'll normally go to 100 - 160 carbs and allow something like bananas or blueberries into the diet.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I get around 200 carbs a day, mostly from veggies/fruit/beans/soy products.

Usually I have about 2-3 starchy/grain servings a day, but I try to avoid too many foods with flour of any kind since it's one of my "tend to eat too much" foods.

I follow the guidelines from Vegan for Life by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina. I use a couple of teaspoons of olive or canola oil a day and few nuts or seeds. I don't really worry about the carbs so long as I'm getting enough calcium, protein and iron everyday. I feel great on my current diet and I have tons of energy. If you feel good at your current carb level while meeting your nutritional and fitness goals I wouldn't worry about it.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I eat around 100 carbs per day and around 150 protein per day.

Me too :-)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy and within the parameters of my deficit/exercise calories, and most of all, my HUNGER.

The only macro I care about is Protein as I am a vegetarian. I don't really care about carbs or sugar...eat half a grape and MFP's sugar allowance goes through the roof.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    20 to 30 grams most days, plus some before/during a longer run or bike ride. Occasional days with 60 to 80g.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    50-75 all from fruits and veg.

^^This for me too...trying to keep my net carbs at 50 or less. Fun, isn't it? LOL
  • leelafit_mtl
    leelafit_mtl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    between 140 and 210g per day, most of them coming from veggies/fruits
  • esteelewis
    esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    250ish a day as of late. But it comes from veggies, fruits and 1 slice of homemade bread a day. I switched to non-processed, organic real foods and my carbs increased exponentially. My split right now is about 50% carbs, 30-35% fat, 15-20% protein.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    50-80gr per day.
    Mainly to have more cals to spend on other important macros, but really diet is just Cal in < Cal Out.

I wish that were true for everyone!! Some people, like myself, need to limit carbs....especially simple ones. Some people (diabetics for example) have a hard time processing them.

Different things apply to different people.

Overall, yes, I do agree that calories in less than out will work....but sometimes, the macros do matter :)