Replies

• doyledozo
    doyledozo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm also one of the ones who's costs went down but that was because i was eating out and getting take out most meals of the week.
    i spend on average about $200-250 a month on food now. back in the old days, id be spending $100-$150 a week easily on take out (including the cafe for a breakfast burrito, the deli for a sandwich and chips, the thai restaurant for takeaway dinner).
    ate

oh and the food prices where i live are much higher than in the OP chart. I wish i could get all those strawberries for under $2. it's more like $5 where I am which is why i try to go to farmer's markets since they are cheaper
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't think those prices are reflecting the recent inflation....For me where I live it is cheaper to buy frozen packed meals rather than fresh. Not to mention they keep longer so I don't spend as much as in gas going to the store as often to pick up fresh food either.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This is really a comparison of ready meals/ fast food vs healthy home cooking. A more fair comparison would be unhealthy home cooking options vs the healthy ones shown here. Sadly, I think healthy options would lose.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Need this.
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have never really eaten many processed foods, just gained some weight from eating good stuff. Since using MFP I find my grocery bills have gone down quite a bit, but I was using fresh produce before. I plan my meals carefully, waste almost nothing and go meat free much more often. I also almost never eat out. When I do eat meat, a steak I would previously have wolved down in one evening is now carefully divided into three appropriately sized portions and the extras packed with veggies for lunches. I do shop specials and frequent farmers markets and asian groceries to get deals, which helps quite a bit, especially somewhere as expensive as Canada.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I dont care how much food costs. Its goin in my body. Id rather say no to 100 shoes then buy crap food IMHO.
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My food costs went way down, I still through away too much food cause sometimes it's hard to buy only exactly what I need because I'm not only one in my house to eat healthy. I also started a garden to get a lot of my vegetables like tomatos, brocoli and onion (i eat the most of those) so my food bill should go down again when I these thing start growing in. I also grow my own herbs so that helps, i always have fresh herbs and i don't have to pay ridiculous prices for them. Then again it's not always practical to have a garden, this is the first place i"ve lived that it was a feesible option.
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hmm, those prices don't mesh with what I pay.

Hell one pound of chicken breast is like 5 bucks now.
    Loaf of bread 3 or 4...

Sadly, yep. It must really depend on where one lives and what's available, I guess?

Most of the prices don't mesh with my local stores, and I live in a big metropolitan area with lots of access to local produce, etc. However, the prices at the local farmers' markets are astronomical compared to the grocery stores, so I generally skip farmers' markets even though the produce looks delicious. A pound of chicken breasts in my local store can be anywhere from 3-5 dollars, depending on sales!!! Ground turkey is at least $3 per pound. But if I skipped the poultry, the natural PB, etc, and bought only dried beans and the cheapest frozen veggies, then yeah, those things are pretty cheap.
    That's so strange, here going to the farmers market saves me a ton of money! The produce is close to half price.

Same with me, I live in a rural area and during the spring and summer farmers markets are on every road and frequently in town it's wonderful. Also, whoever has to pay $5 for a pound of chicken, that's crazy!! I can get chicken breast here for $1.97 a pound and stock up when it goes on sale for $1.50 a pound. I have to buy it at walmart which I hate but to save $2 a pound it's worth it.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    lol @ meatless burgers and no red meat on that list. Such a crock of what constitutes healthy.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Why is this chart made using the cheapest "healthy" food and the most expensive "unhealthy" food?

because it isn't an honest chart. it's a graphic made with the intention of proving a point. one that, in the experience of many, is incorrect. so, in fact, the myth is a myth myth is a myth.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I think we need a comparing costs thread. List some of your items and how much you pay, and where you are in the world, and see how others differ :]
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    So much of it depends on where you live, what you were eating before and whether or not now that you are now choosing organic produce and meat vs just non-organic versions of the same. I don't usually buy the organic versions unless they are the same price as the regular.

I'm spending a lot less money now because of not buying doritos, bags of pizza rolls, fast food, and the like. I also don't buy much fruit, sometimes strawberries or bananas, but usually only if they are on sale. Prices for blueberries and other small berries really are expensive..haven't checked out the frozen versions though, I will! Chicken breasts I often get for 2.00 to 2.50 a lb (boneless skinless, on sale). I buy a lot when they are on sale. If they aren't on sale I buy thighs instead, and debone them myself and those are often between 1.50 and 2.00 a lb. I just bought three 2 lb bags of frozen broccoli for 1.98 a bag. I eat a lot of rice and beans, and use a lot of canned tomatoes. Lettuce, red or green peppers, cucumbers and onions are things I buy every 5 or 6 days and can't really wait for a sale on but they aren't too expensive usually. The most expensive things I regularly buy are greek yogurt (about 6 dollars for one of the 4 cup tubs) , one of the low calorie breads (usually about 4 to 4.5 dollars) and eggs. I only will buy cage free eggs, the regular eggs are usually cheap though. I live 20 miles away from the closest big grocery stores and find myself now planning my shopping in great detail, whereas before I didn't plan much at all. We do have a small grocery close to us but items are much more expensive there in general.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada and it's mainly the cost of fresh fruits and veggies that rack up my cost. If you buy in season it's not too bad but I love berries and they aren't in season long so most of the year I'm paying 4 bucks for 1/2 cup of blueberries!!! Plus I tend to buy a lot more chicken breasts which is much more expensive than hamburger. :) Other than that, it's not too bad.
    I buy frozen berries and buy extra meat when it is on sale.

I try to do that too (a great way to save a bit) but I love fresh fruit with yogurt, or desserts or just about anything. Frozen berries just aren't quite the same after you thaw them. I actually have a freezer full of berries that I've picked and frozen (farm girl living in town now) and I use those for things like pies, shakes etc.
  • kmorris123
    kmorris123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm spending more at the store now, but I'm able to make more meals out of what I buy than if I spent $20/day on restaurant meals. We were doing way too much eating out even if we were making the healthier choices from given menus. I shop the perimeter and have started buying more fresh fruit, especially on sale. I keep an eye out for coupons that will help with dairy prices and frozen fruits/veggies as well. I started coupon shopping last year and figured out how to stretch the grocery money a bit further. Now If I can just convince my self that water that I put through my Brita pitcher tastes as good as bottled water and start refilling my water bottles, we will be onto something.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I think we are spending about the same, maybe slightly less sine I've been eating healthier. I am very lucky though since I have easy access to many good grocery options including a farmers market. There are a lot of people in poverty stricken or rural areas who don't have that luxury. Where the only place to get food for miles (and with no reliable transport) is the 7-11 or other convenience store. It id next to impossible to eat cheaply OR healthy in a food desert. This is s major problem tor far too many people.
  • LDunzweiler
    Options
    It can be more expensive as my husband and daughter are obviously not dieting...lol! I get different butter, mayo, ect and get the stuff they like as well. It has only changed in the form of fast food, eating out, and quick stop marts. I don't go in for a Starbucks 3 days a week and take my lunch to work daily, including all snacks.

It WILL change and go up drastically if you make the change to veggie / vegan eating. Veggie food is super pricey!!!! Oh, and you are right, our produce here in the states can be a bit on the expensive side, so we just hit up the farmers market during the season and are starting our own garden as well!
  • ChelleDT
    ChelleDT Posts: 23
    Options
    Why is this chart made using the cheapest "healthy" food and the most expensive "unhealthy" food?

because it isn't an honest chart. it's a graphic made with the intention of proving a point. one that, in the experience of many, is incorrect. so, in fact, the myth is a myth myth is a myth.

Ha ha ha.. .I like your logic!! (so true)..

But yes, If you compare expensive unhealthy foods to healthy foods that you buy on sale/discount/clearence... or at the local foodshare group.. then yes it "COULD" be less expensive.

But, in general, If picking the Quick lower cost (ie - dollar menu at fast food, Off brand fast frozen fixin's).. compared to a variety of fresh fruits & veggies... Lean cut meats, it is WAY more expensive to buy healthy foods. Not saying that it is "wrong" to buy healthy, just in general I've found it more expensive by far.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt call a lot of those "healthy" options healthy.
  • OwloftheFuture
    OwloftheFuture Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love this!