Overweight spin instructor

Options
So, I was considering getting my spinning instructor certification in November but decided against it because I didn't think that people would want to take a class with an overweight instructor, but now I am considering it again.

Do you guys think that having an overweight instructor (who is capable of doing the workouts.... I do olympic distance triathlons for pete's sake!) would be motivating or the opposite?

Would you take a spin class with an overweight instructor if they were knowledgeable about cycling AND spinning, and were also

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what you want..cause if you are knowledgeable..I don't think people will care...especially if you can kick their butts
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    I think it is motivating, especially for the men and women who are overweight and worried that they wouldn't be able to do a spin class.

At the gym I work at, the spin instructors come in all shapes and sizes. I never once look at them and think "wtf. why are they teaching?"

If anything, my mom who is self-conscious sees an instructor who is not a stick and feels better about her decision to try a class.

go for it, girl!!
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    I was thinking the exact same thing (getting my instructors) I teach yoga-but I prefer teaching to kids-for a lot of (pretentious-based) reasons, but I am looking forward to the thoughts on this!
    Thanks for posting it (and I am of the mind that you should go for it)!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Personally I would rather see a realtable instructor especially one that is healthy and knowledgeable than a fake barbie wanna be.
  • vickyd205
    vickyd205 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I say GO FOR IT!

Last week, I went took a Zumba class on a different night with an instructor I'd never seen. I would say she is probably 20-25 lbs overweight. Initially, I was surprised because all of the other instructors are so fit but in the end she was one of the best instructors I've ever had. Her routines were challenging and she just looked like she was having so much fun and her attitude was infectious! Her Wednesday night class is now permanently on my calendar!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    My favorite spin instructors have always been bigger girls. They ARE FIERCE!!!!!! And seriously powerhouses! And my extra weight has kept me back from making career changes that I would love to make in terms of pursuing a career that is more fitness focused. So I completely understand what you are saying, but I can tell you that NOONE would care about your weight in your class...if anything it would be more inspiring.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'll try anyone's class a few times. If you know you're stuff and bring the pain I could care less what you look like to be quite honest.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I might be more likely to take a class if the instructor was overweight, given how overweight I am myself. Someone closer to my body type could probably help me learn to position and pace myself for the optimal workout without hurting myself. Bonus if that instructor has back problems and is close to my age.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think you should go for it! Haven't you had enough of your weight holding you back? What an inspiration you can be!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think it is motivating, especially for the men and women who are overweight and worried that they wouldn't be able to do a spin class.

At the gym I work at, the spin instructors come in all shapes and sizes. I never once look at them and think "wtf. why are they teaching?"

If anything, my mom who is self-conscious sees an instructor who is not a stick and feels better about her decision to try a class.

go for it, girl!!

^^THIS!!!
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Ever see a skinny basketball coach?

;-)
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    YES! Absolutely. In fact if you can kick butt while being overweight, it would actually encourage me more that I can do it too.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I would, hell if you can out perform others being overweight then definitely! I had a friend who was bigger and thicker, she was kinda chunky, but could run like a machine and talk the whole dang time. I say go for it
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'll try anyone's class a few times. If you know you're stuff and bring the pain I could care less what you look like to be quite honest.

Totally this^^^ I have been teaching spin for 5 years(and my weight fluctuates), a kick *kitten* class with a motivating instructor is the key. Most cyclist/spinners will give a newbie a try (even a few tries) before making a judgement. Some of the best classes I've taken were given by a 50 something overweight former racer. He knew his stuff and he knew how to get me to go when I wanted to stop. I learned from one of the best and developed my own style and they leave dripping every time. Go for it, it's ablast!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    weight is not an indication of fitness. weight has a lot more to do with the diet side of the equation then the fitness side.
  • Iris_Jay
    Iris_Jay Posts: 17
    Options
    I've taken a spin class with an overweight instructor. They kicked my *kitten*! :S Doesn't matter what your weight is, as long as you can give them a good workout. Also, what is important to me in a class, is how much your voice can motivate me not to give up.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    It would probably make me less intimidated and want to take your class! To be honest, I think with spinning it all depends on how well you can motivate the class. If you're fit enough and can challenge the class, then your size shouldn't even be an issue (because we all know, "skinny" does not necessarily mean "fit"!).

Also, my favourite yoga instructor is overweight - I've never had a yoga instructor challenge me like she does. Her classes are always packed and I've definitely improved my yoga technique under her guidance. This might sound shallow, but one of the reasons why I originally decided to take her class was because she is overweight - I thought it would be easy! Silly me...looks can be very deceiving! Now I take it because she kicks my *kitten*! (Which, I know, is not what yoga is about...)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I don't think it matters. I've had skinny and overweight instructors. The good thing about you, is that you are an experienced cyclist, and for me, that is a huge bonus to have in a teacher.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    DO IT! My aerobics instructors new far from their weightloss goals, and they mentioned it! We are all working for the same thing.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've known plenty of people who are technically overweight (even obese) but who are also very athletic and strong. Anyone who'd look at an overweight fitness instructor and decide not to take their class based solely on that is either judgmental and ignorant or is looking for any excuse not to take a hard class!