WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2012

Options

Replies

• AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great weekend.:heart:

This week has been much better eating wise. I hate the days that I just want to eat anything that has sugar in it!!!

I did 2 exercise classes today (step and yoga) and 2 hours walking around town and trying clothes on. You get quite hot taking clothes on and off. I burnt over 800cals (so my pedometer says)

I have noticed my scales on the downward move again (thank goodness) I have been so up and down these last few weeks.

Tomorrow I will try for another 2 classes, pump and yoga maybe.

I wish my knee wasn't so sore all the time..... arthritis!! I also have joint problems as well so I am taking fish oil and Glucosamine see if this helps lessen the pain threshold, and strengthen the joints. Time will tell.

Have a good week everyone and take care.
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    hopefully pneumonia is leaving my body, i am feeling stronger and fittter hope the doctor agrees with me tomorrow. i just get very tired still.
    have heaps of pages of posts to read back through and catch up on all your news. i thought i might try some slow pedalling on the exercise bike tonight if i can balance the laptop will catch up on reading some of the posts.
    Need to invent a bracket to sit laptop on, while pedalling.

:flowerforyou: Know your faults. What (if anything) has sabotaged you in the past? Remove those negative influences, people, and environments and make the change.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    hopefully pneumonia is leaving my body, i am feeling stronger and fittter hope the doctor agrees with me tomorrow. i just get very tired still.

I am hoping that your pneumonia leaves completely. I know how hard it is to get all the fluid out of your lungs.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, hope everyone had a great weekend. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

My old friend the scale isn't happy with the partying I did on Saturday and the pizza I ate last night. :ohwell: Back to the grindstone today, I promise to be a good little Salad Sista. :blushing:

I'll be busy with work for the next 3 days, plus getting ready for my trip to San Diego on Thursday. Going to visit my mom (she turns 87 on Saturday) and family, should be a fun time, and yes, a lot of the fun will be centered around food. My family does love to eat. I'm having a little talk with myself this morning about staying in control. It's not easy when I around that group, Mom always has peanuts, cookies and ice cream around for late night snacks, :grumble: We sit up and talk, and watch TV, then of course want to munch on something. Control, JB, control! :glasses: Will be going out to eat several times over the 5 days, not sure if I'll have much time to log foods or say hello to all of you here. I'll be taking long walks early in the mornings, or riding the recumbent bike in the exercise room. :wink:

:flowerforyou: Thinking of you, Nancy, hope you're doing really well. Your DH's radishes will be fun to watch grow, that is if you can find the cold frame out there in the tall grass :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Fitz I'm glad to see you're including Omega-3s, walnuts are a very good source. Keep them in the fridge so they don't turn rancid.

I'd best get busy here. SWSY strength training on the agenda for this morn, and I certainly could go do a couple miles on the track if I'd get my butt up out of this chair.

Good day, everyone, and all of my Salad Sistas! Get good and hungry first, you'll be surprised how good a salad can taste. :bigsmile:

Toodles! :drinker: jb
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies:

Happy Monday!! I have had such a busy few days; I met my son and DIL who is expecting in June (they also have 2 other kids) and I got to see my granddaughter and grandson too. They were so excited to see me as I have not seen them in a few weeks. My poor little grandson (4 yrs old) is in Jr. K at school and he is having some real behaviour problems, which everyone is trying hard to work on. He is the cutest thing, but he is so head strong and honest as the day is long so when he does something wrong, he will tell you straight out, so he gets "caught" all the time for his bad behaviour :happy:

We got a lot of packing done over the weekend and yes, I got rid of lots of junk too; amazing what you collect :laugh:

We went to see the condo we bought and met the sellers; very nice people and we were able to thank them for changing the closing date to suit us. I am looking forward more and more to the change in some ways.

Barbiecat - Do you like teaching the dancing :smile:

Robin - I hope you find something soon :wink:

Colleen - What great goals you have set :drinker:

rpphillips - Sorry about your loss :flowerforyou:

Suz - Hope you feel better soon. What a cute baby. :flowerforyou:

Mary - I envy you your "math brain". That is one area I fail at; I need a calculator for everything :noway:

Katie - Welcome :smile:

Laura - Don't worry, your 2010 clothes will fit you before you know it, just stick with it :wink:

Amanda/Jeannie - I am sending both of you a huge (((HUG))) :flowerforyou: God grant you peace and serenty to get you through these extremely trying times, both of you.

Jane - Hope you feel better :happy:

MaryMac - Sounds like you are doing amazing :wink:

Jen - I often lose my posts - I think there must be a "post heaven" somewhere that they go to :laugh:

Anyway, Ladies, have a great day and talk to you soon.

Love, Cathy xx
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Another Sunny Monday,

Once again I had the best of intentions on Friday...but alas the weekend struck:sad: Friday night was Mexican food (and chips & salsa:grumble: ) with Sangeria, Saturday I did a bit better, but Sunday had Theater Popcorn:sad: Even when I was eating it all I kept telling myself this is the last bite:blushing: The only good thing from the weekend was all the walking and bike riding we did, so maybe that is why the scale was only up about .6 of a pound. Today it's back to good eating and drinking plenty of water.

We did go to a sporting goods store and I picked up #10 kettlebell with six DVD's and I'm figuring I will start that tonight. It says it's a six week program so I'm going to take pictures and see if there is any visible change:wink:

Wouldn't you know it when I came into the office this morning there is Chocolate all over my desk :noway: I'm sure it's my bosses way of saying thank you...but boy will this be hard...it's all Speciality Chocolate and I'm sure it was expensive....and other than my boss and his son I'm the only one in the office full time....will power...I Will have will power....I WILL HAVE WILL POWER:wink:

Cathy- I spent some of my weekend cleaning out our frig & freezer....felt good to have them clean...can't begin to imagine cleaning out a house to move...more than I even want to think about we have so much stuff:blushing:

jb- enjoy that birthday celebration with your Mom...I miss mine every day (she passed in Oct 2010)

jen- hope you are feeling better soon:flowerforyou:

AMS58- doing two exercise classes...you are an inspiration to us:drinker:

Must go...have to find a place to put all this chocolate:grumble:

Everyone have a good day, let's remember to log our food, drink our water:drinker: and move our bodies.

Laura80111:smile:
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    have heaps of pages of posts to read back through and catch up on all your news. i thought i might try some slow pedalling on the exercise bike tonight if i can balance the laptop will catch up on reading some of the posts.
    Need to invent a bracket to sit laptop on, while pedalling.

:flowerforyou: Know your faults. What (if anything) has sabotaged you in the past? Remove those negative influences, people, and environments and make the change.

Hope you feel better soon. I had pneumonia a year ago, and it took me three months to get over it. It's harder when we're older.

To use a laptop with a stationary bike, I bought one of these from amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M04RBK/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

I figured out how to assemble it, but then I got all futzed, because it wouldn't stay together. The I remembered that duct tape will fix almost anything. I duct taped the parts together, duct taped it to my stationary bike instead of using the straps, and then duct taped a strip of foam to the bottom, so the laptop would stay put. Now my only problem is that because my stationary bike is a recliner type, I have to put pillows behind my back, or I recline so much I can't reach the keyboard.

6938224696_f675655ab5.jpg
    IMG_20120416_090944 by jipsyjudy, on Flickr
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Sarah my son left his iPod in his jeans a few years ago and it put them through the washing machine and noticed it when i went to put them in the dryer...I just left it out to dry out for a couple of days and when it was completely dry it worked fine...so it may be fine for you too...heres hoping :wink:

Kat:heart:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    I have a question...How do you post someones else's post in your post in that box that has a box around it?????

• anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have a question...How do you post someones else's post in your post in that box that has a box around it?????

There is a quote button on the bottom right of the message you want to quote from. Press that and copy the info from the first quote to the last. Then open the reply box and paste the info in there. If you only want part of the data, just delete what you don't want to quote, making sure that the beginning and ending quotes in brackets are still there.

You can then add your own comments after the last quote.

Hope that made sense and helped a bit.

Faye
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Except that you are not supposed to do it twice. :ohwell: :embarassed:

Faye
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Still pluggin along. Trying to finish deep cleaning before my dr appointment Thursday, just in case... If only I had some energy!

Biggest problem I'm having now that I've learned what not to eat to keep my digestion under control is about every other day I am absolutely ravenous and want to binge all day long. I wonder if it's because my body just isn't tolerating meat or nuts any more.
  • katiejarr
    Options

There is a quote button on the bottom right of the message you want to quote from. Press that and copy the info from the first quote to the last. Then open the reply box and paste the info in there. If you only want part of the data, just delete what you don't want to quote, making sure that the beginning and ending quotes in brackets are still there.

You can then add your own comments after the last quote.

Hope that made sense and helped a bit.

Faye

Thanks!
    Hope I did this right :smile:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Wanted to share a yummy recipe I found on Hungry Girl...made this the other night and even my hubby the "foodie loved it! Let me know if you try it and that you think :glasses:
    I love that 2 tacos are only 96 calories, they are little but filling, I ate four and was full :tongue:

Wanton Tacos
    Ingredients
    8 small square wonton wrappers*
    1 cup dry coleslaw mix
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons low-fat sesame ginger dressing (recommended: Newman's Own Lighten Up!)
    4 ounces cooked and shredded (or finely chopped) skinless lean chicken breast
    2 tablespoons BBQ sauce with about 45 calories per 2-tablespoon serving
    Directions
    *Often stocked near the tofu in the refrigerated section of the market.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

To make the wonton shells, spray the inside and outside walls of a deep square or rectangular baking pan with nonstick spray. Evenly drape the wonton wrappers over the pan's walls on a diagonal, making triangle-shaped "shells." (Use two pans, if needed, to keep the wontons from overlapping.) Bake them until just crispy enough to hold their shape, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, but leave the oven on. Carefully remove the shells and gently open them to form "tacos." Set aside.

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine coleslaw mix, cilantro, and dressing. Mix well. Cover and microwave for about 1 minute, until slightly softened. Set aside.

In another bowl, combine chicken with BBQ sauce; mix well and set aside.

Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Evenly distribute the BBQ chicken among the shells, followed by the slaw, about 1 tablespoon of each per shell. Lay the filled wontons gently on their sides on the baking sheet.

Spray the shells lightly with nonstick spray. Bake for about 5 minutes, until warm and crunchy. Let them cool slightly and serve!

PER SERVING (1/4th of recipe, 2 wonton tacos): 96 calories, 1g fat, 302mg sodium, 12.5g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 3g sugars, 8.5g protein

Enjoy :flowerforyou:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hello....
    I hope everyone is doing well. I feel very sluggish. I went to NYC with friends and we walked around the city on Saturday. It helped with my weigh in for a challenge today.....we'll see how it goes. I did get to my strength training class yesterday and I completed it without using weights for upper body. It felt good. I think the disk situation in my neck is healing. I go back to the chiropractor next Monday for another session. I'll get some cardio in tomorrow. The water intake is going well....exercise is coming back but I am going slow.
    It's great to read your posts!

Have a great night,
    Sally
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty busy day at work today, but did go for a midday walk..it was almost 90 degrees today....unbelievable!! Ialso rode 10 miles th am on the recumbent bike..if I had gotten out of bed when I woke up (4am) :noway: just think how far I could have gone...thank you menopause!! I was an overachiever with my water today, but don't we really need more when it is so warm?! Well my brain is mush, time to call it a night.
    :heart: Jen
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Having a lousy day! Me pausing and no weight loss in 8 days! ButI will fight the fight and stay
    On the course!!
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Lol menopausing I meant!
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

you hit the quote button at the bottom of their comment the reply to it
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    I had some ginger cookies in the freezer. I was snacking on them too much, so I took some of them to the Y today (one of the gals loves ginger cookies so I gave her an extra amount) and the rest to the bowling alley. It least they're out of my house. Of course, I couldn't give them away without having some....lol

I'm hosting bunco at my house tomorrow night. When I first said that I'd do it, I didn't realize that it's the same night as my class on Food Safety. But the class gets out at 5:30 and bunco doesn't start until 6:30, so I think I'll have time. I've already vacuumed, I just need to clean the mirrors. I'll vacuum the kitchen again tonight. Made a key lime cake for tomorrow night. Hope it turns out OK. Last time Vince wasn't too crazy about the frosting.

While taking the extreme pump class today, you know how those exercise shirts are skin tight? Well, I could see the beginning of a muffin top on the sides. Guess that means I need to do more oblique work. Not that you can spot reduce, tho.

Tomorrow is the last Y board meeting that I'll go to. I won't be at the one in May (which is an evening one, that I don't mind going to) since I'll be away. Yea! This is the absolute last time that I have to get up at 5 in the morning

Colleen - I usually work out in the pool about once/week. To be honest, I have a short attention span and if it was more than that, I'd get bored to death. I just like changing things up

I'm crocheting these placemats, you know, the ones I started like 5 years ago. Anyway, I realized that in order to make 12 placemats, I don't have enough thread. So I went online thinking I could buy more. but it's been discontinued by the manufacturer! It was Aunt Lydia's "Denim" quick crochet in red and white

jb - have a great trip, and happy birthday to your mom! I'm sure you'll succeed.

This am before exercise, went to WalMart (even got some radishes!), then to Walgreens (they had oatmeal on sale), then to the extremepump class. Came home and in the meantime the guy was here to look at my stove, he ordered the part. Then made the cake for tomorrow night (only they've cancelled bunco) (guess I can give some of the cake to the soup kitchen, I'm supposed to take the donations from the church next weekend so I'll need to drop them off Mon.

Tomorrow I'll do a spin class.

Cathy - I'm like you, I would be lost without my calculator. Vince can quite easily do math in his head. I can only do it on the calculator.

Sally - would you believe that I haven't been to NYC since before Jessica was born -- and she's 28! Glad you had such a good time. Yea on the strength training

It's warm tonight. Going to bed now. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele