Anybody else hate their smile?

Options

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Absolutely hate it....and what I hate even more, is when people tell me to smile for pics...
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    yes!

I feel like a chubby 12 year old when I smile, and I cannot do a toothy smile for the life of me, so I just don't like to smile.

i've been called out on it my whole life :/
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Absolutely hate it....and what I hate even more, is when people tell me to smile for pics...

or just in general 'you should smile more!'

or when I'm just in thought, not talking to anyone or doing anything, a coworker will just tell me to smile

wtf
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I used to hate my smile... the best way is to practice find the angle... now there isn't a pic of me without a big smile...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Never do with my mouth open. But that's because I need braces, which seems like its never going to happen since I'm already almost 20
    I'll be 20 in June and I just got my braces on last month. You're never too old to fix your smile if it's what you want! I had to wait until I could afford to pay for them myself since my parents couldn't.

I used to not like smiling at all, but I already feel better about it even though I have braces (they're clear on top at least). I hope by the time that I get them off that I'll like my smile!

I got braces at 22. I'm tempted to get them again (I'm almost 40) because my teeth shifted and I'm not as happy with them as I'd like to be.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I always seem to pick the corners of my lips up, but the center down. I end up looking like some sort of crazed vampire. its very disturbing.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I strongly dislike my smile. I call it the baby-eating smile because it looks like I'm going to maniacally devour children with it. For some reason my husband likes it though, but I try to never be photographed with it on my face.

LMAO!!! Ok your description made me literally laugh like a crazy person at my desk. hahaha. I'm certain it's not that bad!!!
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This post intrigued me - I had no idea so many people would feel this way. It's so sad. I would bet that the people in your lives miss seeing you smile. A simple smile can make someone's day. I'm sure you look beautiful/handsome when you smile - Try it.
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Never do with my mouth open. But that's because I need braces, which seems like its never going to happen since I'm already almost 20

I got braces at 21 and I never regretted it! It's not too late. (And I love my smile. :)
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to smiling. I smile all the time but when a camera gets trained at me I immediately adopt a serious expression... why? Because I hate my smile!!! And I absolutely hate seeing it in pictures because it's horrible.

No. My teeth aren't bad.
    No. It's not a crooked smile...

It's just that... well... it's an ugly smile. I don't know how else to describe. I've even had people comment on how ridiculous my smile is!!! (strangers of course, friends would never dare. Haha)

Anybody else hate their smile??? Why? Why not? What do you do to overcome your dislike of your smile?

Yes, I feel like it distorts my features and makes my eyes look funny. I almost never smile in pics. When I do it';s a half smile.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    My teeth are a bit crooked.. so I'm self concious about my smile.

I wore braces but I didn't wear my retainer and they shifted a bit.

Everybody always compliments me on my smile though but I often think it's because they haven't seen my teeth.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just think I look kinda goofy. I had a smile as my profile picture and could barely stand to look at myself.
  • BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I dislike mine as well....I actually have FANTASTICALLY straight teeth (thanks 9 years of braces) however...before braces, I had two baby teeth (my canines) that didn't want to fall out, so my adult teeth grew in above/over them, so my top lip got trained to raise higher to go above those teeth...

So now the teeth are fixed and at normal height, but my lips are still trained to raise super high so my smail is mostly gum...its awful. My fiance says he loves my smile...but all I see is gum when I look at pictures. blarg
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I used to. Then I decided that I needed to invest in my smile. And now I think its fabulous.
    A good dentist can do wonders!
    <
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Don't like mine either. I've got a bit of a gap. Would get veneers but that freaks me out even more, so I'm stuck with it..lol :) <--closed mouth smile, haha.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I used to. Then I decided that I needed to invest in my smile. And now I think its fabulous.
    <

:) Your smile is beautiful and for some people the problem isn't their teeth. Like me! I have nice teeth... I have an ugly smile. *shrug* Nothing that can be done about it!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    <

:) Your smile is beautiful and for some people the problem isn't their teeth. Like me! I have nice teeth... I have an ugly smile. *shrug* Nothing that can be done about it!
    I bet its not as bad as you think! Maybe mirror practice to get the 'perfect' look?
    ETA: You are so cute - I find it hard to believe your smile is ugly.
  • girlontheseesaw
    Options
    Can't stand my smile. I've tried practising in mirrors and can't get it to stick. A natural toothy smile goes from a bit too gummy to seriously goofy, and my closed mouth smile the corners actually turn down! It's a grimace!

I do wish I could get a serene smile that looks pretty, and a laugh that doesn't look demented.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't like it how people are expected to show their teeth when they smile. My teeth are fine, so I'm not just saying this because I'm jealous. But for all other animals on earth, showing your teeth is a sign of aggression. Consider that the next time you smile at your pet dog.

i think the whole "pearly white smile" thing is just a conspiracy started by dentists to make more money.
  • cufirst84
    cufirst84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    yep...hate mine most of the time, my upper lip seems to disappear when i smile !!