Beachbody program HELP!

Options

Replies

• tanyaleblanc
    Options
    Hi I've done both programs , p90x at home and les mills pump at the gym. They are both great! Tough choice. I will say p90x really helped to tone the arms, shoulders and back and I have more strength than I ever thought I would have but the combat class from les mills really shaved off a lot of my belly fat, especially around my obliques. I really love the cardio classes from les mills and the strength ones from p90x. Check the. Out on you tube and maybe you'll be able to make your decision from that

Good Luck!
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    And I'm not aiming for a beachbody lol,

should of said this at the start. would of avoided the debate. :laugh: :wink:

I see that now. I just assumed that people would knew I meant the company. Sorry for the mix-up, but who doesn't love a great debate?
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses and input. And I'm not aiming for a beachbody lol, it's just the company that releases these products. I'm not sure what my goals SHOULD be. I know I want to get stronger, I know I want to build muscle, and obviously, I want to lose weight.

I'm not aiming for a beach body either, but I am aiming to look good naked, lose inches, and gain strength. I also want to maintain the lean muscle mass I already have.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5 is a strength program for bulking, not for getting a beach body

This is not true at all.

After doing Chalean Extreme, some of NROL, and now StrongLifts, I can tell you that althoughmost of the exercises in CLX are pretty fun and challenging, they aren't really full-body compound lifts. I can't tell you how different a squat with dumbbells is from a barbell squat. SO different. StrongLifts so far has been my favorite.

ive no idea what Chalean Extreme or NROL is tbh. but i do know alot about 5x5 programs as i use them every Autum/winter during my bulking phase. I can tell you that in order for a 5x5 program to work, you need to be in a calorific excess as the point of the program is to build strength and muscle. without the cal excess you wont have the nutrition for build the muscle.
    if you want a lean beach body you dont want to be in a calorific excess and using a 5x5 program cause this will result in some inevitable fat gain.
    things like a High rep/low weight routine, Circuit training or HIIT combined with a calorific deficit is better to shred the excess fat and get a lean beach body imo.

Bro you're half right and also half wrong. First of all you don't need to be in a calorie surplus to gain strength. To build muscle tissue yes, but not strength. 5x5 programs can be used to get leaner as it's a heavy lifting routine in which both men and women can use it to retain as much LBM as possible even while dieting and eating a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Shredding fat is 95% diet. The lifting programs out there (like 5x5's) are to retain LBM while dieting.
  • jodibefitvegan
    jodibefitvegan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've done Chalean and love it, but I understand where your husband is coming from. Chalean is very motivational, not annoying at all, and puts a lot of research into her program. I've done her program 3 times (I'm little-110 lbs, and have increased my weights dramatically) It even has a great cardio program with it. I know a few guys who prefer it over P90X. Les Mills pump is great for longer leaner muscles and muscle endurance. I am a beachbody coach so I'm not allowed to 'sell' on here, but since you brought up the topic, I'd love to help you learn more about the programs. Just private message me your email!
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    think we may have to agree to disagree on this.:wink:

low reps high wieghts are for building strength which requires strengthening the muscle fibres...ie building and conditioning the muscle. doin this without a calorific excess is pointless.

high reps low weight will shred the fat and condition/tone the existing muscle when done in a calorific deficit.

I have been doing 5X5 for a month and I think the proof is in my pics. I do not think I am "bulky" God I hate that word.
    In fact I only went down one pound but loss 2 inches off my waist.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that in order for a 5x5 program to work, you need to be in a calorific excess as the point of the program is to build strength and muscle. without the cal excess you wont have the nutrition for build the muscle.

You can build strength with the heavy compounds, even in a calorie deficit. With a calorie surplus, you will also gain mass, and the strength gains may come quicker.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I can tell you that in order for a 5x5 program to work, you need to be in a calorific excess as the point of the program is to build strength and muscle. without the cal excess you wont have the nutrition for build the muscle.

You can build strength with the heavy compounds, even in a calorie deficit. With a calorie surplus, you will also gain mass, and the strength gains may come quicker.

^^ This. What taso said.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

low reps high wieghts are for building strength which requires strengthening the muscle fibres...ie building and conditioning the muscle. doin this without a calorific excess is pointless.

high reps low weight will shred the fat and condition/tone the existing muscle when done in a calorific deficit.

No point in lifting heavy without a surplus?

129148061869856448.jpg
  • joejccva71
    Options

No point in lifting heavy without a surplus?

129148061869856448.jpg

Lol
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

This is not true at all.

After doing Chalean Extreme, some of NROL, and now StrongLifts, I can tell you that althoughmost of the exercises in CLX are pretty fun and challenging, they aren't really full-body compound lifts. I can't tell you how different a squat with dumbbells is from a barbell squat. SO different. StrongLifts so far has been my favorite.

ive no idea what Chalean Extreme or NROL is tbh. but i do know alot about 5x5 programs as i use them every Autum/winter during my bulking phase. I can tell you that in order for a 5x5 program to work, you need to be in a calorific excess as the point of the program is to build strength and muscle. without the cal excess you wont have the nutrition for build the muscle.
    if you want a lean beach body you dont want to be in a calorific excess and using a 5x5 program cause this will result in some inevitable fat gain.
    things like a High rep/low weight routine, Circuit training or HIIT combined with a calorific deficit is better to shred the excess fat and get a lean beach body imo.

Bro you're half right and also half wrong. First of all you don't need to be in a calorie surplus to gain strength. To build muscle tissue yes, but not strength. 5x5 programs can be used to get leaner as it's a heavy lifting routine in which both men and women can use it to retain as much LBM as possible even while dieting and eating a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Shredding fat is 95% diet. The lifting programs out there (like 5x5's) are to retain LBM while dieting.

dunno I'd probably call him 99% wrong? Half is generous. How exactly am I going to bulk doing a 5x5 program and not eating a surplus? Oh and if the answer is that you just can't DO 5x5 without eating a surplus then I am apparently using some kind of magical non-muscle related power to do so because on Sat I did 5x5 135lb squats with no problem.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    All I do is lift and still in a deficit. No HIIT or circuit training. Guess I will never have a beach body :'(
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am just starting P90X and I have not done the other one. I like P90X but some of the work outs I hate. You will need a set of dumbbells and either bands for pull ups or some type of pull up bar for above your door that you can use.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    P90X requires equipment whereas Insanity (By Beachbody) requires none at all and works by your body weight. I'd recommend Insanity based on customer comments (I work in a store that sells both, and other BB workouts) and online reviews. Hope that helps :)
  • randall774
    Options
    Autum/Winter - Low Reps, High weight, No cardio, Loads of food = building muscle
    Spring Summer - High Reps, Lower Weight, loads of cardio, less food = beach body

this has worked for me for years mate.
  • NavyWifeTwinMom
    NavyWifeTwinMom Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For the original poster... My results have come 95% from p90x and p90x2. I have a decent set of weights ( up to 50lbs. each), a set of bands, and a pull up bar. Feel free to check my pics out in my profile! I think there are many roads that will lead to the same place, so whichever program you choose, just be committed fully and you will see results :-)

Cheers!
  • joejccva71
    Options

This is not true at all.

dunno I'd probably call him 99% wrong? Half is generous. How exactly am I going to bulk doing a 5x5 program and not eating a surplus? Oh and if the answer is that you just can't DO 5x5 without eating a surplus then I am apparently using some kind of magical non-muscle related power to do so because on Sat I did 5x5 135lb squats with no problem.

Yea I know. lol. Every time I told someone they were wrong I'd get a warning from a mod. Maybe it's my arrogant nature.
  • Billywoo
    Billywoo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Im doing Insanity with my girlfriend right now and we love it. Its really hard at first but you have to go at your own pace. Eventually gets easier. And addicting. Now we keep up with the athletes in the video's.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I would start with P90 (not p90X) or Slim in 6. I have done many beachbody programs several times over the past 12 years including p90X. My favorites are the two I mentioned and my husband enjoys them as well. Even though Slim in 6 is a woman trainer it is a great program for men and women. I have four young kids and am currently doing Slim in 6.
  • randall774
    Options
    so you lot are tellin me that its possible to gain muscle whilst in a calorific deficit????