Can it be done without exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Have they tried putting you on Zofran? It saved my butt a few months ago. It won't really help the fatigue but it can really help with the nausea, and maybe help you get more energy from your food.

Diet definitely works... Working out is more about creating a sustainable energy process within your body.

I do understand that you feel horrible and not wanting to exercise but if it's not directly ordered by your doctor to refrain, I'd ask about the Zofran or wait out the nausea issues, and try taking small walks. Ten minutes a day can make a world of difference in both fatigue issues, but also for weightloss and recovery once you pass through some of the issues.

Either way, if you need supportive friends, let me know! I have my own issues to work around, but I try to keep fairly positive to give an example of myself.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The first 20 or so pounds I lost were done without exercise so yes, you CAN do it! Certainly I would encourage you to start working out once you are able but for right now, just focus on your intake and make sure you eat as clean as possible. The cleaner diet you have the better results you'll get.
  • bschoo01
    bschoo01 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For sure!! I lost my first 12 pounds just dieting... i only recently started working out because i wanted faster results... but about 5 years ago my mom lost 60+ lbs dieting alone! It can definitely be done :) good luck!
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You can do it just eat clean (that helps alot) and stay in you kcals. You will do Great. have fun with new foods too. :tongue:
  • iamshenglo
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercising! I recently lost 10 lbs eating 1200 calorie a day & I"m a part time worker at a fast food restaurant so I include that as part of my workout :)
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    First of all...I hope that you will be OK after all of your health issues are dealt with. Second...yes, if you watch what you eat you can loose weight. Congrats on loosing the 7 pounds....but more importantly I hope that whatever you are going through...you will beat it. All the best to you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • bethc370
    bethc370 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Again, thanks everyone. I do try to get up and walk several times a week, only 10 minutes a day but it's something. I have a condition called IIH, basically I have too much cerebrospinal fluid surrounding my brain. The medication to control the pressure (and hopefully save my sight) is a killer. The side effects are almost worse than the condition, but it's necessary. I will be getting my blood work done thursday, and I'm actually hoping that they find my potassium is low. Low potassium symptoms are similar to the side effects of the meds, so all it may take to get me feeling better is a supplement. Fingers crossed.
    Because I become winded (almost asthma attack quality) easily, I have been told by my doc to engage in little to no exercise until the side effects diminish.
    I try to do some lifting of my small dumbells while sitting so I don't lose too much muscle.

Thanks again! It's so nice to find such wonderful support!
  • dahlialia
    dahlialia Posts: 16
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds a few years ago, without exercise, and have kept it off (I ate lower carb primarily).

I'm now working on losing the remaining excess. Again through lower carb, and also exercise.

Exercising doesn't need to be 45 mins on the elliptical at the gym, or similar, though.

When you are ready to try some exercise, there is a lot of evidence for the benefits of short sprints (do a search on interval training), and simple quick strength training you can do at home (squats, planks, etc). You might find that spending even a few minutes on either will ultimately help with energy levels and health issues. These kinds of exercises will also do a lot to help you maintain your muscle mass while losing weight.

Edit: I just saw your last post. I'm guessing sprints wouldn't be advised considering the health issues you are dealing with! But if you can figure out which strength training you can do, you can even just briefly focus on one area per day (squats one day, overhand rows with the weights another, etc., and keep that muscle).
  • Val_91
    Val_91 Posts: 36
    Options
    Since March 14th, I've lost ten pounds (Only half of that since I've joined MFP) and all I've really done is watch what I eat. I've gone for a few walks but yeah. I'd say so far it's mostly come from watching calories, etc.
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yes - no exercise here and have been losing steadily. Not particularly quickly, but I'm happy with that - I don't think 27 pounds in 3 1/2 months is too bad.
  • wanjkam
    wanjkam Posts: 1
    Options
    YES you can do it. Research shows that weight control is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise. So just focus on eating clean. Stay away from processed foods and empty calories. Hope your health continues to improve.
  • JimandLin
    JimandLin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing, so I stopped going to the gym. I was in a slump for about a month.
    Well, I'm starting to lose again. Must of just needed that little change up.:flowerforyou:
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Again, thanks everyone. I do try to get up and walk several times a week, only 10 minutes a day but it's something. I have a condition called IIH, basically I have too much cerebrospinal fluid surrounding my brain. The medication to control the pressure (and hopefully save my sight) is a killer. The side effects are almost worse than the condition, but it's necessary. I will be getting my blood work done thursday, and I'm actually hoping that they find my potassium is low. Low potassium symptoms are similar to the side effects of the meds, so all it may take to get me feeling better is a supplement. Fingers crossed.
    Because I become winded (almost asthma attack quality) easily, I have been told by my doc to engage in little to no exercise until the side effects diminish.
    I try to do some lifting of my small dumbells while sitting so I don't lose too much muscle.

Thanks again! It's so nice to find such wonderful support!

Congrats on making the steps! Listen to your Dr. and you can beat/destroy/own this. 2012 is YOUR YEAR!!! GO FOR IT!
  • KellyBru3
    KellyBru3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It definitely can be done. Cut out foods with preservatives and artificial flavors and colors. By making that small change, you will see an immediate difference. I certainly did. Good luck!