Overweight spin instructor

Options
13»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    So, I was considering getting my spinning instructor certification in November but decided against it because I didn't think that people would want to take a class with an overweight instructor, but now I am considering it again.

Do you guys think that having an overweight instructor (who is capable of doing the workouts.... I do olympic distance triathlons for pete's sake!) would be motivating or the opposite?

Would you take a spin class with an overweight instructor if they were knowledgeable about cycling AND spinning, and were also

I can't speak to spinning per se but at my triathlon club we have coaches with a range of body types. My first coach was not exactly skinny but she delivered the content very effectively and could seriously kick butt (her triathlon results speak for themselves).
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    the more you spin, the less overweight you will be

Did you miss the part where she does triathlons?
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome-- an endocrine/reproductive disorder and women with it are predisposed to being obese. :) That's why I'm still overweight... it's not a nutritional issue (although I'm seeing a nutritionist to tweak some things/figure out macros)

Thank you guys for your input!!!!! I contacted a couple of people in the fitness world here in Pittsburgh who know me, and know what I'm about, and know that I'm an endurance athlete despite being overweight. We shall see!!!!
  • amanda776
    amanda776 Posts: 50
    Options
    Definitely go for it! I have been thinking about becoming one also, but my confidence level isn't there yet. If yours is, GO FOR IT GIRL!!
  • amanda776
    amanda776 Posts: 50
    Options
    Hey I'm in Pittsburgh, too! Let me know where you end up and I'll definitely come to your class. :) Sending a friend request now.
  • sudders69
    Options
    hello! i know this is an old thread but i found u on google ...i am overweighyt...not massively as im quite muwcular but im definatly chunky lol...anyways i have enrolled with a spining instructors course and in scared to death ofthe other students laughing at me...how did it go? i intend to loose the weight over the next few months i have about 20 pounds to go ive already lost 35...thanks xx
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Can you teach a good class? Will you actually do the spinning with your class? It sounds like you would and you'd be a good instructor. My instructor is a slightly overweight middle aged man, but he shouts at me, and will teach 3 spin classes in a row and thats whats important for me
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'm my gym the is a women she was obses teaching classes now she is a skinny mini and everyone respect her so much because she looked the same as them and kickd there *kitten* and went on there journey with them x