Which do you prefer and why? Insanity or ChaLEAN Extreme?

Options

Replies

• DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Chalean does burpees in Turbo Fire, not in Chalean Extreme!

And to a previous question, I did JM 30 DS for a while and I hated it. There's just something about Chalean's perky personality that makes you want to keep going and try your best (versus punching Jillian in the face lol)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Most Chalean Extreme workouts are around 35 minutes....I think the longest is 45 minutes, but I could be wrong. It does give you a structured workout plan, but I just tried to go in order, even if I missed a day.

ETA: Also, CLX can be done fairly easily in a small space. I have never done Insanity, but I would think things like burpees would require more space.

Chalene does burpees, too. LOL

Not a lot, I hope. Burpees suck. LOL

I did my first Chalean burpee yesterday in the second cardio workout of the week (my week is off b/c I started on I think a Wednesday LOL). A little different than the standard - to explain it in Jillian terms LOL you start off doing a regular burpee but when you get to the plank part you do a plank-jack before you come back up. But she does offer a beginner/modified version too. :-)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

And to a previous question, I did JM 30 DS for a while and I hated it. There's just something about Chalean's perky personality that makes you want to keep going and try your best (versus punching Jillian in the face lol)

She does do it in one of the cardio workouts, but slightly different than the standard and it's a very short interval.

I do like her personality. Very warm and encouraging. Makes me want to look into some of her other workouts too (well that and the constant advertising on th DVDs LOL).
  • BlahBlaBlah
    Options

I've often thought I'd like to punch Jillian in the face. So that's good to know. ;)
  • gaberieger
    Options
    Bump.

I like how people get mad at Jillian. To me, that means she is doing her job. If your workout is too easy or doesn't get you pissed off, then is it really worth your time? It's good to try them all, just don't cheat yourself by taking the easy route. I have trouble with one of my knees, but I just worked through it with 30DS and now it's better than it has been in a long time. So I thank Jillian for that.

Edit: And Anita, if you are reading this... marry me!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Some people just prefer a different kind of motivation. Personally I like both. But I would not classify other workouts as taking the 'easy route' just b/c the person isn't yelling at you. LOL
  • BlahBlaBlah
    Options
    Bump.

I like how people get mad at Jillian. To me, that means she is doing her job. If your workout is too easy or doesn't get you pissed off, then is it really worth your time? It's good to try them all, just don't cheat yourself by taking the easy route. I have trouble with one of my knees, but I just worked through it with 30DS and now it's better than it has been in a long time. So I thank Jillian for that.

I gave Jillian a fair shot. There is a difference between pushing yourself to work hard and hurting yourself or causing damage. Biking helped my knee a great deal, and I can now run most of the time, but Jillian just kills my knee. I can't get through her workouts, and if I push myself to do them anyway, I wind up having to take too much recovery time because of the knee pain. I am not opposed to working hard, and I don't take the easy way out, but I'm careful to not cause injury!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Actually...no. Not liking Jillian Michaels has nothing to do with taking the easy way out. Her 3-2-1 system is too fractured for my taste. For those with knee issues, it's not wise to knowingly push yourself to an injury. There are other ways to get in a great workout without hurting yourself just to say you're "JM tough."

I'm thinking about getting ChaLEAN Extreme.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    For those of you that are thinking about getting Chalean Extreme and don't have an independent beach body coach. Message me. I would love to be your coach and help you through this journey. I LOVE Chalean and am about to begin the second Phase of her program.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I have a quick question for those who have done ChaLean X.
    I am doing Insainty now and really like it, but want to do more weight lifting, that is why I am starting CHaLean next. However I dont think I could just do weights for a day. Would it be bad to add cardio on top of that?
  • DixiedoesMFP
    Options
    Bump.

Um....yeah. No. I don't take the easy route. I progressed from 30 DS to CLX to working out in the "big boy room" at the gym. I'm now squatting 165, deadlifting 145, and benching 95. Those are for 3 - 4 sets of 8 - 12 reps. I can max out even heavier.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    Options
    @Shay - it's fine to do cardio as well (most typically) but I would suggest you lift first so that your form is good and you're not overly fatigued.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Bump.

Um....yeah. No. I don't take the easy route. I progressed from 30 DS to CLX to working out in the "big boy room" at the gym. I'm now squatting 165, deadlifting 145, and benching 95. Those are for 3 - 4 sets of 8 - 12 reps. I can max out even heavier.

Love this - that's what I'm hoping to do. I started out with Jillian workouts, now I'm doing the CLX program, hope to graduate to the gym with barbell workouts. Maybe NROLFW when I get a gym membership.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    @Shay - it's fine to do cardio as well (most typically) but I would suggest you lift first so that your form is good and you're not overly fatigued.

Thank you. I will do that.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    Options
    Mrs. Floyd - if possible, I would do it sooner rather than later. Huge changes in my body since I started lifting heavy. Minimal weight loss on the scale, but two clothing sizes so far (about ten weeks in).
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Mrs. Floyd - if possible, I would do it sooner rather than later. Huge changes in my body since I started lifting heavy. Minimal weight loss on the scale, but two clothing sizes so far (about ten weeks in).

Thanks - I can't get a gym membership until the summer but I'm excited about the possibilities when I'm able. Kind of intimidated LOL but hey that's half the excitement. :-)
  • DixiedoesMFP
    Options
    Don't be intimidated! The key is to walk in and act like you belong there!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    This thread is great because I'm actually doing a hyrbrid with Insanity and CLX - I'm about 2 weeks in now and love both programs, but they are for different results. Insanity is killer cardio and bodyweight exercises and CLX is giving my increases in strength for sure - I was able to increase the weight on almost all my exercises this week.

ETA: I also do additional cardio on my CLX days - usually elliptical.
  • mamamadonna
    Options
    I am so psyched to see this one! I am on the Lean phase of CLX and want to do a CLX/Insanity hybrid next. I'm glad to see someone who is doing it and liking it!

On another note, does anyone doing CLX have a hard time dropping pounds? I have been religious to it and haven't lost as much as I would like (only about 7 lbs). Any tips?

• Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I am so psyched to see this one! I am on the Lean phase of CLX and want to do a CLX/Insanity hybrid next. I'm glad to see someone who is doing it and liking it!

On another note, does anyone doing CLX have a hard time dropping pounds? I have been religious to it and haven't lost as much as I would like (only about 7 lbs). Any tips?

I would need to know your eating habits, if you are pushing yourself to lift heavy enough, what is your activity level at besides your work outs, did you take measurements and pics, are you seeing a change in that, etc.?