Eating after 8 pm. Yes or No ?

Options
2»

Replies

• freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The 'don't eat after 6 or 7 or 8' thing has more to do with eating too many calories for the day than the timing of the calories.

If not eating after 8 works for you, then do that.
    If eating after 8 works for you, then do that.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    3 nights a week, I take late classes- boot camp, zumba, cardio circuit..so dinner is 830 or later..hasn't hurt me :)
  • lppacker
    lppacker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I am new and could use all the help I can get. Please feel free to add me. I could us some more friends for motivation and tips.
  • lppacker
    Options
    Sorry for the repost over and over. My computer started going crazy. Friends are welcome and would be nice. Thanks again.
  • lppacker
    Options
    I try not to eat that many carbs in the evening. Usually I work on pushing for more protein.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    To re-iterate, as long as you're eating below your daily caloric intake (or BMR), you will lose weight. So, after 8p...doesn't matter.

:o]

he means TDEE not BMR.
  • JessWolf1002
    JessWolf1002 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Well I have my protein shake at 830 after my evening workout and it seems to be going good. That's my last meal of the day though.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry?

Do you have the calories to spare?

Then eat. It really doesn't matter when you eat unless it makes it hard for you to sleep. Otherwise, have at it.

I think I'm going to go have a spoonful of peanut butter now, as a matter of fact...
  • jmonique27
    Options
    I work a night shift, so I HAVE to eat past 8 or I will starve lol I think as long as you eat three hrs prior tothe time you go to bed, you are good.
  • Sunshiny2
    Sunshiny2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my biggest meal at 10 pm. It's just what my body likes. If I don't do that, I get hypoglycemic and feel awful in the night.
    Like others have said, it doesn't matter when you eat as you aren't eating over your calorie amount.
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my last meal at around 8-9 pm :) going to bed feeling full and happy!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have heard eating after 8 pm is not good for you. Some days are tough with working late, then returning home only to have a millon things to do, and somedays the cooking gets pushed off until 8 or later. Any advice? I try to grab something before heading out for my walking and feeding all the livestock.

Old wive's tale from the days when they got up at five, had breakfast at six, and were in bed by 9pm. :) It makee no difference.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I have my dinner about an hour before bed, then a snack in bed. That's around 75% of my daily cals consumed within my last hour of the day.

My ticker and my body says its OK! :D
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    Same as many others here, most of the time my biggest meal of the day will be late at night (very buzy days) not very long before I go to bed. I still stay under or near my TDEE and it's worked great for me so far, still losing close to .5 lbs per week.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm laid in bed from 6pm in winter (cheaper to have electric blanket on than heating throughout the house) watching telly and often like a bowl of cereals of packet of crisps for supper and have still lost weight.

I don't eat an heavy meal that late but as you work all day and still walking and feeding livestock in evening I don't think it will cause a huge weight gain for you!
  • patricknsmith
    patricknsmith Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem as long as you don't take in a bunch of carbs. Eat something protein packed that will satisfy the hunger and it will also fuel your body through the nightly fast.

It also won't matter if it's carbs, again assuming that your total daily intake is appropriate.

Screw f'n macros....That's like saying that if you have the cals left just eat a poptart....You still have to eat smart.

Here's a good article pertaining to the original post
    http://fitness.vpxsports.com/blog/bid/76460/How-to-Build-Muscle-While-You-Sleep
  • ashley516
    ashley516 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There are many days where I get caught up with my daughter and dinner ends up being anywhere between 730 and 830. Better late than never, right?
  • iwAnnAbehealthy2
    Options
    It's fine, BUT choose wisely! The reason it's not good to eat late is because your body won't have time to work of the calories. So choose fruit or veggies as a late night snack! Then your body will be able to process it easier :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem as long as you don't take in a bunch of carbs. Eat something protein packed that will satisfy the hunger and it will also fuel your body through the nightly fast.

It also won't matter if it's carbs, again assuming that your total daily intake is appropriate.

Screw f'n macros....That's like saying that if you have the cals left just eat a poptart....You still have to eat smart.

Here's a good article pertaining to the original post
    http://fitness.vpxsports.com/blog/bid/76460/How-to-Build-Muscle-While-You-Sleep

Sounds like Hodge Twins esque type of stuff. Now show me another study that shows that pre bed casein shakes significantly improve body comp over not having them, holding calories and macros constant
  • joesjo
    joesjo Posts: 10
    Options
    Like everyone has mentioned in some form, it is what works best for you! I tend to eat late quite a bit because of my work schedule, but I find that eating a bit more earlier in the day helps so that I'm not starving at dinner and I tend to eat less carbs at dinner, as well. :)