How do you feel AFTER a binge

Options
I thought maybe if we posted somewhere how we feel after a binge it may help those of us who seem to have difficulty getting that under control.

For some reason when we get derailed some of us go nuts with food and then feel terrible after. I thought maybe if there was a thread on this board it may help.

So here goes;

AFTER I BINGE I FEEL..................

BLOATED
GROSS
ANGRY AT MYSELF
DISAPPOINTED IN MYSELF
OUT OF CONTROL
HELPLESS

Replies

• daviddern
    daviddern Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    that sums it up
  • bullet1
    bullet1 Posts: 61
    Options
    I don't necessarily feel all of those emotions, but I definitley feel gross, bloated and feel like I don't want to do it again any time soon.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I feel HORRIBLE after! Every single time! And yet, that doesn't stop me from doing it again :(. Sometimes I'll binge every single day for a week or more! And when I do, do I ever eat. I'll eat until I'm full then eat some more! I'll be laying on the couch after in physical pain because somehow I've managed to stuff a ridiculous amount of food into myself. I can't even fall asleep because the my tummy hurts so bad from having so much in it :(. Wish I could get a handle on this. It's not so bad when my hubby isn't home, because I'm a night time binger, so I just go to bed at eight with the kids and so I don't eat because I'm sleeping. But when he's home, he wants to stay up and visit and watch a movie or something and I REALLY need to get to a place where I can do that without thinking about all the food in the house that I could be shoving into my face while we're chatting. Half the time he's talking or we're watching a movie and I have no idea what the conversation/movie is even about because I'm just sitting there thinking about food. Lol.
  • Lisamar74
    Lisamar74 Posts: 114
    Options
    I find that if I fall off the wagon in terms of my diet then I just go mad. And it doesn't last just the one day, it lasts a good few days sometimes longer. I feel everything you feel and I forget that other people do and feel the same so we should stop beating ourselves up so much.
    I think the reason I have binged in the past is because I've tried too extreme a diet.
    I only just discovered MFP a couple of days ago and it's already really helping to change the way I think.
  • RynoSada15
    RynoSada15 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel HORRIBLE after! Every single time! And yet, that doesn't stop me from doing it again :(. Sometimes I'll binge every single day for a week or more! And when I do, do I ever eat.
    That's me exactly. Easter weekend was filled with huge family dinners (4 in 3 days!) and chocolate. I was determined to get back on track on that Monday, but I ended up having a whole week filled with more binge eating and pounds of chocolate!!! I'm back on track now, but boy did it ever waylaid my weight loss :(
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I just feel bloated and uncomfortable. Since starting MFP and eating normal sized portions and eating more sensibly I find I don't feel that horrid bloated feeling any more. I've noticed that previously I was almost always like that - not a pleasant way to be! So every time I over-eat and get that bloated feeling it's a sharp reminder of "Oh yeah, THAT'S why I don't do this anymore". It's a bit of a slap back to reality for me.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I feel with my fingers, unless they are too greasy then I might use my toes.
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Depends... if it's a 'planned' binge, like it's my weekly 'cheat', then I'm fine and I live it up(; but if I just go crazy for no reason (which has only happened to me twice and it was when I had friends visiting for Spring Break) then I'm not exactly very happy with myself. But I just brush it off and work even harder the next day(: for me, a cheat's nothing to stress over. I cheat 1-2 times EVERY week and I've been consistently losing a pound every week.
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Really bloated, depressed, angry at myself, guilty, my mind starts going a million miles per hour about how I will compensate for the damage I have done, how I will hide the puffiness and disgust I will feel from work/friends/family.

And sometimes it will be just one binge and sometimes it can last for a week. I guess it also comes down to what people define as a "binge". Some people equate a binge with 3 cookies and some people equate thousands of calories over their norm to be a binge. So I think you're going to get different types of responses OP. My binges are the monstrosities that handicap me for days and would shock the normal human being as to the amount/type of food I eat.

I like this thread, because you get so frenzied and caught up at the time you can never seem to think ever about how you will feel after.
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take much to slip. One day turns into several and it take a while to get back into the swing of things. That's why moderation is vital.

I hate the guilt that plagues me after I go on a binge. "Why do I keep doing this to myself?" goes though my head and I beat myself up about it.

=(

Horrible.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    like crap
  • Naomirp7
    Naomirp7 Posts: 4
    Options
    I always feel disappointed in myself. I feel like all the hard work was for nothing and that I was weak...again. I feel like the next time I work out after a binge that I have to double time it. Or that maybe I shouldn't eat but a couple hundred calories the next day. It sucks.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I feel super bloated but then I remember how much awesomeness it was consuming mass quantities of gyoza, spicy tuna rolls, and fried milk. I'm not going to go to an all-you-can-eat place and not binge! Well, actually, I wonder if it counts as a binge if I knowingly consume mass quantities of food but could not do it if I want? Hm. Philosophical question right here.
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to this post! I had a binge last night and feel so guilty and angry with myself!
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    GUILTY
    HOPELESS
    HELPLESS
    ANGRY
    SAD
    SICK
    TIRED

kinda in order, i always feel so tired after, just feel yuk.
    yesterday i had a binge which i hadn't in a few weeks but i went for a walk before i ate 2 more tim tams
    then did a bother run, so that helped and didn't gain :)
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    We all experience the same. For the record I am talking about a BINGE. Eating and drinking a HUGE amount of calories. Getting a burger and fries at 10 at night, ordering pizza, wine wine wine...you get the drift.

I know this is a common problem. I remember going to WW years ago and someone said it is not the 4 or 5 cookies you have that throws you off it is the "well I have already blown it" mentality. How you can blow anything with 4 cookies is beyond me. Yet it seems like that is the prevelant attitude.

So we all agree we feel out of control and crappy, I think we are all intelligent people so how do we stop this. It has to be more than willpower, there has to be something we can do to stop a "binge" in it's tracks!
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have done THE EXACT SAME THING. Eat until my stomach actually hurts. I mean seriously who does that. WHo inflicts pain on themselves for food.

I have a succesful job, great marriage, good kids and friends yet this is the area of my life that is out of control. When I am working out and eating responsibly I feel on top of the world.

There HAS to be something we can do that will eliminate or at the very least reduce our binges.

With such a massive community on this board you would think that collectively we could come up with some suggestions to help us out.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I have more of an issue with under eating now than I do with over eating.

I was a huge over eater before I started this though. I would eat 3 big macs in one sitting with a shake fries and anything else that was left over that my kids and husband didn't eat.

I always regretted it.

Felt like crap physically. But took me a long time to learn my lesson.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    when I overeat I feel like I'm ready to explode, stomach hurts and all I want to do is lay around/sleep. I hate the way I feel after so I always try to remember how it feels to prevent it
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I feel absolutely disgusting! I feel like I've got a hangover but it's not from alcohol, it's from too much crap food. Never again!