Lost 15 pounds in one week???

Options
So I watched the Biggest Loser last night and "Kim" managed to lose 15 pounds in one week... WHAT THE HELL?? How in the world do you lose 15 pounds in one week? She had both arms and legs so I know she didn't cut one off to get to that number... so really just curious how you all think she did this...?

Replies

• Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    wow that dosnt sound healthy. Maybe the scale was broken.lol
  • SkinnyRuthy
    SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Isn't she relatively thin now? I haven't watched the show for a few weeks but I thought I saw that she's in the 100s?
    I have no idea how that's possible. LOL. It take me 3 months to lose 15 lbs ;)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I had to stop watching that show cuz it always made me feel bad about myself. One guy a few years ago lost almost 30 pounds the first week. To my little 1 or 2 pounds I would lose, I felt like crap. Then I just kept telling myself that these people are not working, dealing with family issues, and have personal chef's and trainers there to keep them in line. Ugghhh, I loved the show, but just couldnt take watching it anymore.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    They work out every day ALL day. I had read an article that says that they literally do nothing but work outs and sleep.
    Remember these people are not working at thier job or forced to deal with junk food, they are basically quarantined
    from all of this.
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Oh man! A that rate just give me 3 weeks on campus and I would be done!
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    So I watched the Biggest Loser last night and "Kim" managed to lose 15 pounds in one week... WHAT THE HELL?? How in the world do you lose 15 pounds in one week? She had both arms and legs so I know she didn't cut one off to get to that number... so really just curious how you all think she did this...?

They work every day ALL day. I had read an article that says that they really do nothign but work outs and sleep.
    Remember these people are not working at thier job or forced to deal with junk food, they are literally quarantine
    from all of this.

if i could work out 6 hrs a day and have people cooking for me and not have access to "real" food i would lose 15 lbs in a week too!
  • michele121212
    michele121212 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I've avoided the show until I just got serious about weight loss again and now I'm wondering whether I should watch it at all because the results are so unrealistic for those of us who live in the 'real world'. These contestants must be working out 8-12 hours a day and eating next to nothing to get those results.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    For me I don't think I would want to work out 6 hrs a day for a week to lose 15lbs!!
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    they're under constant supervision, have dieticians preparing their food with the correct macronutrients based on their own medically worked out BMR, plus they work out for 8 hours or so. My idea of a living hell..would rather lose 1lb a week and have a life aswell :)
  • pooc33
    pooc33 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Isn't she relatively thin now? I haven't watched the show for a few weeks but I thought I saw that she's in the 100s?
    I have no idea how that's possible. LOL. It take me 3 months to lose 15 lbs ;)
    Yes - she went from 162 to 147. Her percentage weight loss was over 9% for the week. That's insane!
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I do not watch this show at all but I can't imagine they will be able to keep the weight off once they go back home and are faced with family, friends, work, stress, and real food. Yeah it may be hard to work out 8 hours a day but if you have no responsibilities and they prepare your meals for you I imagine I would also lose the weight in no time but I wouldn't be able to keep it off, not realistically. :blushing:
  • steamlita
    steamlita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Actually they eat quite a bit. It's mostly the time devotion to physical exercise.
  • scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If I am not mistaken the thing with weight loss like this is its so sudden that it goes back on very easily. A lot of the contestants that you never see again gain a good portion of the weight back. They no longer have access to all the amazing equipment, personal trainers, nutritionists and food for that matter. Same thing goes for us in real life who find the instant weight loss stuff and use it. This is not a regular lifestyle activity and weight comes back quick.

With MFP and the friends here we take it slowly one step at a time 3 to 5 lbs at a time. Slowly we change our lives and our bodies and then we maintain them. It is easier for us to keep the weight off once its gone because we do it the right way without the overproduction of T.V. We lose weight a day at time while still working, raising kids and living normal lives. they can keep their 15 lbs in week weight loss. I am willing to bet they gain a lot more back before we do!
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've read that people who are involved with the show have stated that their "week" is not always a calendar week. It can be several weeks or less than a week. In this case I'm guessing it was a much longer time frame due to the whole "walkout" thing. No clue how much time was wasted with that and then the scramble to figure out what the powers that be were going to do to save the season. I'm guessing it was at least two weeks, possibly longer. No way could Kim have lost 15 pounds in 7 days at the weight she already was, even with enemas and dehydration.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Also there are countless articles that say (some with quote from contestants) that the "One week" we see isn't really just 7 days. I think it was something like 2 weeks for every 1 or so. Google it and I'm sure you could find something about it.
  • ldunham59
    ldunham59 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    the biggest loser may have been inspiring in it's early years but.....it is a bunch of crap, who wants to workout with someone screaming in your face, and cameras watching your every move, this is just like every other "reality show" just that, a show, not to say some good hasn't come from this , it has but it is definately not "real life", how many people do you know that can quit life for 3 to 6 months and concentrate on themselves.....if that were the case we wouldn't need My Fitness Pal
  • lessodi
    lessodi Posts: 1
    Options
    I can't believe it either, and I would be almost at goal if I could do that in one week! I am trying to figure out how I can work out six hours a day and still do my job, raise my kid, etc etc.
  • CristlNothem
    CristlNothem Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ya'll also need to think about it as they have SOOOO much more weight to lose then you do. that is why they are on the show. It seems to me the more weight you have to lose, the quicker it comes off. When i first started going to the gym a couple days a week and watching my calorie intake, i lost 6 pounds the first week. Now i am happy with 1 because i am getting closer to my final pounds.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, a "week" on the show is not necessarily the same 7-day week that we have in real world time. I read sometimes its as long as two normal weeks, but that's still huge!