Husband & Family Support???

Options
2»

Replies

• Nu_Mel
    Nu_Mel Posts: 48
    Options
    augghhhh... and I thought my hubby was the only sabotaging partner... he definitely likes thinner women... in fact, when I was 132lbs over 2 years ago he became a little jealous and over protective. He would see me looking at shoes and clothes and actually insist I get them... but right now at my current weight of 167lbs he doesn't say anything (which says a lot if you know what I mean) but not only that... he will buy me treats as a "surprise"... he will come home with krispy kreme donuts, chocolate covered strawberries, and just last night he got me a red velvet cup cake! Just the cup cake with a whole half a cup of cheese cream frosting was 490 cals! :grumble: Just like it was mentioned above... he doesn't shove it down my throat... but it's hard to see it and not want to eat it.. plus my upbringing was "don't waste food, eat it all, there are people starving around the world" so I hate to waste/throw out food. In fact, the red velvet cupcake is right next to me at the computer... with about 20% of it bitten off :tongue:

My husband is the same, with the not saying anything. He's right into gym himself, but made a comment a couple of weeks that has been playing on my mind. Even though he is supportive, I think it's only surface support eg, commenting and encouraging me on fb status updates etc. But when it comes down to it, he's holding back. His latest his complaining about me having my nose buried in my diet and exercise journal or on my phone doing my diary on here for the that day and the next. I also get the 'surprises' or asks what we're having for dinner, tell him, then get asked later on if I want him to pick up xyz for dinner.

I think it's insecurity on his behalf, and i don't play into it. If anything else it spurs me on to become better each day.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This is a slight point of contention in my house.

My fiancé is Type 1 Diabetic, but is quite irresponsible when it comes to managing hypos - he'd rather have about a hundred kilos of emergency chocolate in the house than rely on Glucogel or healthier sugars, which is something I'm gradually trying to change by taking over most of the food shopping (we usually alternate on this or go together). He also does most of the cooking (he's far, far better at it than me), and while he's good at making healthy and nutritious meals on the whole, he has no concept whatsoever of portion control (I have to explain on a regular basis that what is right for a hungry 6 foot plus man is not necessarily appropriate for a small woman).

What's working for me is - serving my own portion if eating together (don't let someone else decide how much you're going to eat!), taking control of the grocery shopping where possible, and avoiding snacking off his plate (I'm terrible for this).

Good luck!
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My hubby recently went to Switzerland and came home with 5 1kg chocolate bars!!! Ummmmmmmmmm..... No! But he said I know you love it... True..., but .... you don't want to know what is left of the chocolate... NOTHING. :-(
  • gizziemonkey
    Options
    I can relate to what most are saying on here. It is hard when you are the only person in the household that is trying to lose weight and opt for healthier eating. My two adult sons live with me and basically eat whatever junk food they can get their hands on....my bf is addicted to fast food/sweets. There is always an endless amount of non-healthy choices floating around my house at any given moment.

I'm fortunate enough to not be too tempted by these items, but what I need to make sure is that I have plenty of healthy snacks around in my view so when I'm sooo...hungry and want to grab something quick...I have the healthy options...bananas and barbecue rice cakes are my best friends.

I don't feel like they are doing this to sabotage my lifestyle change, they are just not on board with me. Maybe I'm being naive...and this is what I tell myself anyway
  • Eyerin
    Eyerin Posts: 24
    Options
    A dozen or so years ago during my WW journey, I had the best support ever from my spouse. He had some weight to lose, but didn't want anything to do with joining with me for his health...but greatly supportive of my efforts. I respected his choice and he respected mine.

After 50 lbs. down at a nice healthy weight, several months later, a new wardrobe, compliments from all directions, and most importantly a renewed confidence, I'm sure now that he was second guessing the support. I never saw it at the time. Looking back to those days, he seemed to tire of my new found confidence and the compliments, although in public he would praise my efforts to friends and family. Outwardly, he has never possessed a jealous bone in his body. He's never been that way. We've been together a LONG time, think decades.

For me, WW was the best program ever for me, and I never blame the program but MYSELF for letting some of that weight come back now. Over the last few years, I underwent some physical health issues, a couple of key broken bones and became a couch potato of my own doing, so I need to get back on track now. I'm 20 lbs. up and escalating daily, stomach has turned into an apple, what I had for an *kitten* has disappeared, and I detest my jiggly flab, due to no exercise, so now it's time for me to take charge again and feel as good as I once did.

Now on my seriously delayed 2nd round, hopefully having the same support, I find an almost excessive amount of trigger foods coming through the door, and he loves cooking and all of a sudden he will LOAD, and I mean LOAD! my plate. I put my foot down there with a smile, as in "Great looking meal! I appreciate you fixing my plate and cooking that great meal, but I can manage." If I exercise with DVD's, he sometimes mocks my moves. I said "C'mon, YOU can try this!", while I smile.

You know what? I am still plugging away, and I can't let his shift in attitude sabotage my efforts. I am not posting this for any advice whatsoever, but more in being aware of the psychological effects this can sometimes have around the people we love. Some are supportive (been there) and some are not (going there I think). I'm pretty sure he prefers me heavy and (un) comfortable, like he is and he doesn't want to see that outward confidence return.

If you have a problem with it? That's not my problem. I am determined and I will do this! I will fix my own plate, I will do exercises the best I can do as I see fit (pun intended) and I may just take all those chips and chocolate and shove them in the pantry way to the back. You can knock your socks off eating all of that, hon, but this girl is taking charge again, whether you like it or not! And if you care to join me? I would love this! If not, that's your decision and I respect that. Just respect me and my decision to become healthy again.
  • GardenFolly
    Options
    That is so familiar. I told my partner on the evening her brought home the lethal pecan bar "You could not hurt me more." He has not done it again. Eventually I will have the will power to see that it just is not worth it, and I will not eat it. I don't want to fall into a thing of blaming others.
  • GardenFolly
    Options
    Hi, I work partly as a weight loss consultant (although I struggle with my own weight), and think that loved ones try to sabotage you as they love you as you are, and worry about what will happen when you change. Maybe some reassurance and involvement for them may help. Hope this may be useful to someone. Barbara

Good point. I think it is important to keep the dialogue going, mention that we want to be healthy to stay fit together, and that I understand he thinks of it as a kindness. But I was also really clear that his behavior really hurt! Thanks Barbara.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Sit him down and have a proper conversation with him. My husband used to be like this, but I sat him down and spoke to him about how much I need his support, how important it really is to me etc. My willpower has caved a few times along the way, and he never criticises if I do indulge, but similarly he no never buys me 'bad' food without asking. I think he has the balance just right, but it isn't easy to achieve and I think it helps if you are really clear about what you need :heart: