so close to giving up!!!!!!!and water weight!

Options

Replies

• staceydeelane
    Options
    hang on myfitnesspal says i should be eating 1200 a days are you saying this whole site is wrong?
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Water weight DOES add inches! Last week, I was dieting, exercising, doing all the right things. I have decided to only weigh once a week to prevent discouragement. Eventually, even after only a couple days, my pants started feeling a little looser, my "muffin top" jeans didn't give me a muffin top anymore. Then, literally overnight, I bloated up like a balloon. I weighed myself and saw a +5lbs on the scale...I tried the same pair of jeans on and they were TIGHTER than they were before I started exercising. I didn't go over my calorie intake at all, so it would be physically impossible for me to gain 5 pounds of fat in a week. I got discouraged and I wanted to quit. I kept thinking to myself "How can I work as hard as I have and feel worse than I did before?" But I took a step back and told myself...There has to be SOMETHING causing this. I just didn't know what. I later found out that I was eating an average of 4,000mg of sodium a day! It was causing me to retain water, and it did make me gain inches. I was eating a lot of healthy choice meals, but the sodium in those suckers isn't worth it! So, I started drinking more water, continued exercising, and greatly decreased my sodium, and I lost the 5lbs of water weight in a couple of days. Best advice I can give you is to sit down and fully analyze all your nutrients, not just calories! Also, try eating foods that are high in potassium, because they help counteract the water retention caused by sodium. Hope that helps, and best of luck! :drinker:
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    im sorry but i really dont believe in the eat more loose weight
    i believe that you lose weight by the basic rule eat less, move more thats what my doctor told me
    when i eat more i gain weight more monday i ate 2300 cals and i weigh 3lb more, eat more weigh more it seems for me

Hey, believe what you want, if you think eating less is going to work, do it, doesn't matter what people tell you, regardless of what science says. At the end of the day, you do whatever it is that you want to do.

I for one, completely agree with rebeccap13 on eating more. I eat an excess of 3000-5000 calories on weekends and look at how i look, not meaning to brag, just telling you that i do it and it works, but hey

DO WHATEVER THE FU*K YOU WANNA DO =D
    -hodgetwins
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    hang on myfitnesspal says i should be eating 1200 a days are you saying this whole site is wrong?

MFP says you should be NETTING 1200 cals/day. And lemme guess, you have your goal set at a 2lbs/week loss? 1 lb/week is way more reasonable. That's a 7000 cal deficit/week with trying to lose 2lbs/week. This is only suggested for people who are extremely overweight.

And your body doesn't adjust in a day, or a week, or even sometimes two weeks. Give it a month. And if you've been jumping from one extreme diet to the next looking for quick results/quick fixes, your body is probably burnt out.

Seriously, look up TDEE and BMR. If you want some more help understanding it, send me a message.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

i'm saying the 1200 doesn't work for everyone. it didn't for me. i don't think it's correct. many people agree with this assessment if they know their BMR and TDEE. if you are about 5 feet tall and 110 lb it might work for you, but it doesn't for most people. so many people have this problem of weight stalling and body fat increasing and there is an answer if you look for it and believe people who have been there and done that.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    i believe that you lose weight by the basic rule eat less, move more thats what my doctor told me
    when i eat more i gain weight more monday i ate 2300 cals and i weigh 3lb more, eat more weigh more it seems for me

It works, I swear by it, this profile picture is the proof. Feel free to look at my diary to see what food choices I make.

And you say you are close to giving up, so what is the harm in trying 1600 calories a day instead of giving up?

This is supposed to be a life style, not a DIEt. We eat good, nutritious foods every day and get the occasional cheat meal well, because we can.

If every one is going to tell you to eat more than 1200 cals, why would you not believe it? You will feel better, up your metabolism and burn more fat. That is how it worked for me.

Now upping them does not mean eating crap. Eat good clean foods with a low gylcemic index. The fat will go, I thought I was going to have to have lipo suction to get rid of the excess fat on my 43 year old body that 1200 calories and 3x a week with a personal trainer did not melt away. You can not imagine the joy in not only getting rid of it, but getting rid of it by eating more!
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes water weight will cause you to gain all over. You must drink a lot of water daily. I had a plateau for 3 weeks, and during that time i didn't drink a lot of water like i was supposed to do. For 3 days i drank at least 80oz of water daily, i stepped on the scale and had lost nearly 2 lbs. Make sure you are drinking water and working out regularly. Lots of Water intake is essential to weight loss in my book.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Why ask for advice if you think you know what's best for you anyway and aren't even considering PROVEN scientific facts and suggestions being offered to HELP YOU?
  • staceydeelane
    Options
    [
    [/quote]

Hey, believe what you want, if you think eating less is going to work, do it, doesn't matter what people tell you, regardless of what science says. At the end of the day, you do whatever it is that you want to do.

I for one, completely agree with rebeccap13 on eating more. I eat an excess of 3000-5000 calories on weekends and look at how i look, not meaning to brag, just telling you that i do it and it works, but hey

DO WHATEVER THE FU*K YOU WANNA DO =D
    -hodgetwins
    [/quote]

im not saying i stick to 1200 a day somedays i eat more others less overall myfitness pal gives me 1200 aday to work with sometimes i eat back what i exercise other days i dont but id say it balances out weekly somedays i go over by 200 cals weekly i say i eat back exercise cals even though i dont like too lol
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Why ask for advice if you think you know what's best for you anyway and aren't even considering PROVEN scientific facts and suggestions being offered to HELP YOU?

i think she really believes one day of eating 2300 calories has made her gain 3 lb. there is no scientific evidence to support that. 1 lb is 3500 calories. it's not possible for 3 lb to be gained with 1 day of 2300 calories. we all are offering strategies so if she doesn't want to listen or try anything else i am out of ways to help. good luck
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

It works, I swear by it, this profile picture is the proof. Feel free to look at my diary to see what food choices I make.

And you say you are close to giving up, so what is the harm in trying 1600 calories a day instead of giving up?

This is supposed to be a life style, not a DIEt. We eat good, nutritious foods every day and get the occasional cheat meal well, because we can.

If every one is going to tell you to eat more than 1200 cals, why would you not believe it? You will feel better, up your metabolism and burn more fat. That is how it worked for me.

Now upping them does not mean eating crap. Eat good clean foods with a low gylcemic index. The fat will go, I thought I was going to have to have lipo suction to get rid of the excess fat on my 43 year old body that 1200 calories and 3x a week with a personal trainer did not melt away. You can not imagine the joy in not only getting rid of it, but getting rid of it by eating more!

What she said! The lower the amount of calories you eat the worse off your metabolism. That could be why after a couple of bad days you gained weight. Your body will decrease your metabolism if your calorie intake is to low, its damaging. Eat above your BMR and below your TDEE for weight loss. It's that simple.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

i think she really believes one day of eating 2300 calories has made her gain 3 lb. there is no scientific evidence to support that. 1 lb is 3500 calories. it's not possible for 3 lb to be gained with 1 day of 2300 calories. we all are offering strategies so if she doesn't want to listen or try anything else i am out of ways to help. good luck

Precisely!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

Weight loss or gain (not water weight, but actual fat-weight) is a function of two very simple things.

- How much your body burns, including exercise.
    - How much you eat.

Take what you eat, subtract what your body is burning, and if that number is negative, you will (over varying amounts of time time) lose weight.

The problem you're having with the math (and that your doctor has oversimplified) is that you do have an influence, above and beyond exercise, in how many calories your body burns. If you feed your body a very low-calorie or unbalanced diet, your body is not functioning at peak capacity and will reduce the number of calories you burn while at rest.

I lost my first 30 pounds simply chasing calories downward until I started losing weight, then continuing to eat fewer calories per day whenever I hit a plateau. I worked out like a madman. I would fast for 2-3 days at a time occasionally. And I felt tired, got sick a lot, couldn't get a really good workout because I'd be so drained, and the 30 pounds took me a year. It was one miserable year, and almost immediately after I gave up I started gaining weight because I wasn't healthier, I was just lighter.

I lost my next 20 pounds in three months by balancing my diet, feeding my body enough fuel so it could handle intense workouts without me feeling miserable about them AND enough so it could build calorie-burning muscle. I emerged from that "diet" a healthier individual, and I didn't put a pound of that weight back on, ever.

Look, you're an adult - you get to make your own decisions. If you want to go low-calorie, that's your choice. I made the same decision and deeply regretted it. It did not improve my health, and it was a completely miserable way to lose weight that I couldn't sustain, and when I was done my body reverted right back to its old habits because I hadn't given it the building blocks to make it healthy. Take my mistakes and learn from them, or don't.

Either way, good luck in your weight loss journey, and I hope you reach your goals.
  • staceydeelane
    Options

what im being told contradicts my doctors advice on the eat less move more and my fitness pall suggest i eat 1200 a day so im questioning why my doc and the fitness pall gives a certain advice, but then so called proven scientific fact as you put it compleatly overlooks what a so called medical proff says?
    cna you not understand my confusion?
    actualy the question was more about water weight, thats why i put my analiser results on there .i was loosing weight eating 1200 cals a day give or take infact i lost 16lbs its only when i started training and exercsing more that ive gained???
  • staceydeelane
    Options

Precisely!
    i do not believe eating 2300 made me gain 3lb im asking more about intense workout and water weight thats why i put my body fat analiser results up i put my water weight has gone up from 40 to 53 since working out so will eating more rid me off water weight then?
  • KaylaBushman
    Options

what im being told contradicts my doctors advice on the eat less move more and my fitness pall suggest i eat 1200 a day so im questioning why my doc and the fitness pall gives a certain advice, but then so called proven scientific fact as you put it compleatly overlooks what a so called medical proff says?
    actualy the question was more about water weight, thats why i put my analiser results on there .i was loosing weight eating 1200 cals a day give or take infact i lost 16lbs its only when i started training and exercsing more that ive gained???

The confusion is that your doctor over simplifies and Myfitnesspal is just a guide. For instance, say you were eating a total of 2500 calories a day and your doctor told you to eat less move more to lose weight.

So "eat less" by lowering your calories by 500 down to 2000 and you "move more" by burning 500 calories per dayby exercising. This would put you at a NET calorie base of 1500 calories(2500 calories minus 1000). 1500 net calories is well above the 1200 MFP is telling you and STILL following your doctors orders.

What MFP fails to say is that you should ALWAYS be eating above your BMR, AND that if you need to lose less than 25 pounds you SHOULD NOT set your weight loss goal at 2 pounds a week loss. (I do not know your goals so this is just a guess on my part)Its unrealistic and leads to you eating less, which makes your metabolism slow down which causes drastic number changes on the scale when you over indulge. Even tho it is just water weight.

SO you can eat more than 1200, and still be under maintainence WHILE eating less and moving more.

Hope that helps.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Since you've started weight training your body needs more calories. Your metabolism has slowed and you are most likely burning lean body mass and holding onto your fat.

Sorry if I sounded harsh earlier, but if you would like some help, feel free to send me a message. The scale isn't always a good judge of progress if you are weight training. Body measurements are more helpful.
  • staceydeelane
    Options

i'm saying the 1200 doesn't work for everyone. it didn't for me. i don't think it's correct. many people agree with this assessment if they know their BMR and TDEE. if you are about 5 feet tall and 110 lb it might work for you, but it doesn't for most people. so many people have this problem of weight stalling and body fat increasing and there is an answer if you look for it and believe people who have been there and done that.
    that sounds helpful thank you,this is why im getting confused im trying my best to folow my fitness pal but then what other say is contradicting its actualy makes me want to give up compleatly because i dont actualy know what i should be doing lol
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options

I don't think you understand what people mean when they say eat more. I shall explain it so that even a 10 year old can understand. ALL NUMBERS FROM HERE ON ARE HYPOTHETICAL. If you are required to eat 2500 calories to maintain your weight, then eating 1200 calories would naturally make you lose weight. HOWEVER, when you are at this amount of calories for too long, your body will soon adapt, AND WE WON'T EVEN USE THE TERM STARVATION MODE, BECAUSE THAT'S A STUPID WORD, eating a constant 1200 calories doesn't make your body go into starvation mode, it goes into a mode in which it is so efficient at using what you ate to be stored as energy, that it is almost completely ridiculous. THIS IS NOT STARVATION MODE, THIS IS SUPER ADAPTATION MODE, and i wish people would stop using the word starvation mode.

ANYWAY BACK TO THE NUMBERS, if you eat at a constant 1200 calories, your body will soon adapt to it, what they mean by eating more, is to increase your calories to like 1500 calories, WHICH IS STILL UNDER YOUR 2500 CALORIE MAINTENANCE, nobody is telling you to EAT MORE then your maintenance, they are telling you to eat MORE than your 1200 calories. Because your body has finally adapted to it, because our bodies are super efficient at adapting to any type of diet.
  • staceydeelane
    Options

The confusion is that your doctor over simplifies and Myfitnesspal is just a guide. For instance, say you were eating a total of 2500 calories a day and your doctor told you to eat less move more to lose weight.

So eat less by lowering your calories by 500 down to 2000 and you move more by burning 500 calories per day in "moving more" This would put you at a NET calorie base of 1500 calories. well above the 1200 MFP is telling you and STILL following your doctors orders.

What MFP fails to say is that you should ALWAYS be eating above your BMR, AND that if you need to lose less than 25 pounds you SHOULD NOT set your weight loss goal at 2 pounds a week loss. (I do not know your goals so this is just a guess on my part)Its unrealistic and leads to you eating less, which makes your metabolism slow down which causes drastic number changes on the scale when you over indulge. Even tho it is just water weight.

SO you can eat more, and still be under maintainence WHILE eating less and moving more.

Hope that helps.
    thank you thats fab that helps me understand alot more im 143 lbs trying to get to 118lbs so 26lbs to loose im going to lower my goal to lb a week instead of 2lb might be a better way to achieve this than mucking my body up