I think I need more protein, what can I eat?

Options

Replies

• skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with carbs. You need them to survive. The only carbs you really need to limit are refined ones, like the ones that come from white bread (they cause your blood sugar to spike). I would try to eat Greek yogurt every day. Eggs, as you said, are also a great source. Feel free to look at my diary as I tend to get over 100 grams of protein a day.

I'm diabetic so I actually test 2 hrs after I eat. All carbs will spike me. I ate half an apple the other day and had it spike to almost 200. One time I ate a couple tablespoons of peanut butter before bed and it shot me to 150 fasting the next morning. Normal for a non diabetic is generally under 100 with really carby meals getting you to 120. It is different for us than for normal people.

I am not a diabetic or an expert on nutrition, but would carbohydrates with a lower glycemic index be easier on your blood sugar? Grains like farro or oatmeal have a reasonable amount of protein, and although they are high-carb I'm pretty sure it takes longer to convert them to sugar in your blood. Broccoli is similar, high in protein for a vegetable.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I ditto the Greek yogurt, eggs, chicken and tuna.
    A quick snack may be a Clif protein bar.
    Cottage cheese, raw nuts are great too.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Try vanilla protein shakes mixed with a banana and 1 Tbl of cocoa powder. So good and good for you.

BUMP because this sounds delish :smile:
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian/pescatarian? All your things you list that you eat for protein are not meat, which is (in my opinion) the easiest way to get your protein in. I eat a ton of Trader Joe's chicken sausage... it's a little high in sodium, but is otherwise very healthy. One link of the sundried tomato/basil flavor (my favorite) is 110 calories, 3 carbs and 11 protein. Chicken breast cutlets (boneless/skinless) cooked on a George Foreman or in a skillet with a little garlic salt or paprika are a great add-on to a salad to get your protein up, as well as super fast to cook because they are so thin.
  • jap1148
    jap1148 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic too...I totally understand the limiting carbs. I find if I eat my carbs between breakfast and lunch, then eat high veggie/protein combo at dinner, then my sugar doesn't spike. Almonds are perfect for a snack, as is PB2-it's a peanut butter substitute that is low fat and low calorie but absolutely delicious. Quinoa is another favorite of mine, and you can make them into burgers with ease. Cottage cheese, string cheese, even a glass of low fat milk with the almonds. Sometimes I just eat chicken breast that I roasted and munch on that. I don't miss the carbs really, and I seem to keep my energy up. One thing I do, though, is eat a carby snack if I'm going out to walk or exercise-the exercise keeps me from spiking and gives me the energy for the exercise. Always eat carbs with a protein too! Hope this helps-understand this is what works for ME, you have to play around with what works for you.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I just bought Kelloggs Protein Water (K20), mostly for post run recovery since I don't like gatorade/powerade, and it only has 2g of carbs, with 5g of protein. Still not as good of a source like lean meats, nuts, beans, etc., but it isn't bad.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Quorn maybe?
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Tuna and chicken are my two protein power houses.

^^^ Yes

Pretty much both are free of carbs, some cholesterol but I don't think you are concerned of that
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am no longer diabetic, but my RD suggested this site: http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/ to use as a guide for low GI foods, and I've found it very helpful. Beans and lentils are high in protein, tasty, and won't spike you. I especially love canellini beans (white kidney beans)cooked with kale, onions, garlic and a wee bit of basalmic vinegar.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with carbs. You need them to survive. The only carbs you really need to limit are refined ones, like the ones that come from white bread (they cause your blood sugar to spike). I would try to eat Greek yogurt every day. Eggs, as you said, are also a great source. Feel free to look at my diary as I tend to get over 100 grams of protein a day.

I'm diabetic so I actually test 2 hrs after I eat. All carbs will spike me. I ate half an apple the other day and had it spike to almost 200. One time I ate a couple tablespoons of peanut butter before bed and it shot me to 150 fasting the next morning. Normal for a non diabetic is generally under 100 with really carby meals getting you to 120. It is different for us than for normal people.

I am not a diabetic or an expert on nutrition, but would carbohydrates with a lower glycemic index be easier on your blood sugar? Grains like farro or oatmeal have a reasonable amount of protein, and although they are high-carb I'm pretty sure it takes longer to convert them to sugar in your blood. Broccoli is similar, high in protein for a vegetable.

For many diabetics the lower glycemic foods work great. Sadly, last time I ate oatmeal it shot me up over 200 too. I think I need to be on insulin but am the victim of my own success. I'm a little high but not scary high because I have a huge fear of rotting and can't stand the idea of letting my blood sugars go way out of control for a year or two so they will put me on insulin. I'm also what a lot of people call a skinny diabetic which means that the usual advice of losing 10 or 20 lbs doesn't work. I'm actually trying to get from normal body fat to low/normal in hopes it will help. I was diagnosed at 34 and at normal weight 13 years ago.

So yes, for a diabetic who is in reasonable control beans, low glycemic carbs and a generally healthy diet is a great thing. For me, it doesn't work anymore.
  • tinlee
    tinlee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack is edamame. It has protein in it.
  • Sharonks
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian/pescatarian? All your things you list that you eat for protein are not meat, which is (in my opinion) the easiest way to get your protein in. I eat a ton of Trader Joe's chicken sausage... it's a little high in sodium, but is otherwise very healthy. One link of the sundried tomato/basil flavor (my favorite) is 110 calories, 3 carbs and 11 protein. Chicken breast cutlets (boneless/skinless) cooked on a George Foreman or in a skillet with a little garlic salt or paprika are a great add-on to a salad to get your protein up, as well as super fast to cook because they are so thin.

There's a Trader Joes near my daughter's house an hour from here. I'm going to have to go look for that sausage. It sounds good.

I do manage somewhere around 80 grams of protein a day, I also try to keep my fat and sodium up to help with my energy. I'm just thinking that part of my problem is that I need more like 120 grams a day and that gets a little tough.
  • Sharonks
    Options
    I'm diabetic too...I totally understand the limiting carbs. I find if I eat my carbs between breakfast and lunch, then eat high veggie/protein combo at dinner, then my sugar doesn't spike. Almonds are perfect for a snack, as is PB2-it's a peanut butter substitute that is low fat and low calorie but absolutely delicious. Quinoa is another favorite of mine, and you can make them into burgers with ease. Cottage cheese, string cheese, even a glass of low fat milk with the almonds. Sometimes I just eat chicken breast that I roasted and munch on that. I don't miss the carbs really, and I seem to keep my energy up. One thing I do, though, is eat a carby snack if I'm going out to walk or exercise-the exercise keeps me from spiking and gives me the energy for the exercise. Always eat carbs with a protein too! Hope this helps-understand this is what works for ME, you have to play around with what works for you.

Does PB2 have less carbs than regular stuff? Once in a while I treat myself to a little regular PB but at random times it messes up my BG. I've had to give up milk. I'm working on giving up my one piece of fruit too. I love fruit but the extra carbs are still a problem.
  • dahlialia
    dahlialia Posts: 16
    Options
    What works for me, really, is more meat and seafood. Going for more volume and variety.

In terms of fruit, I mostly stick with strawberries. A cup of strawberries has half the sugar of a cup of apple.
  • knuckleswife
    knuckleswife Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like tofu for protein (I'm not a vegetarian), but jerky, atkins protein drinks and eggs.
  • Sharonks
    Options
    I like tofu for protein (I'm not a vegetarian), but jerky, atkins protein drinks and eggs.
    I actually love tofu. I'll have to look at the carb count, I haven't had any in a long time. Jerky doesn't last around here, hubs will eat a pound of it a day.

Edited to say that tofu is low enough in carbs I can eat it! Gotta go shopping and get some. I need veggies anyway.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    My main protein sources are shrimp, tuna, tofu, cheese, protein powder (there's some great low cal ones), and protein bars.
  • beccacoug
    beccacoug Posts: 24
    Options
    As well as everything mentioned above, sometimes jerky and meat sticks can be good for a quick protein fix. They are high in sodium but it's a good mix up. There are several brands that make turkey as well as beef. Turkey is a great source of protein btw (I believe one of the highest out of poultry). Also, if you're eating a ton of canned/pouched tuna, stick to the cheaper chuck light kinds. The albacore can have higher levels of mercury! Really shouldn't eat tuna more than a couple of times a week...just fyi for those who may not know. And I think is yummy wrapped in lettuce or on celery.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I have not felt very well this last week or so. I have been doing more and more exercise which includes a few times a week of getting my heart rate up to max level for 30 or 40 minutes, several hours of yoga a week, and about 2 or 3 hrs of intervals a week.

I'm not sure protein is your problem. You're only supposed to get up to 80% of your maximum heart rate. That is extremely strenuous activity, and if you're maintaining it for that length of time, that could be the culprit, I'd think...
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    eggs, chicken, turkey, and hemp seeds are my main sources of protein. I also like cod and elk. I'm trying to eat mostly vegetarian but I like meat too much.