Zumba for really big (280+lbs ) girls/ guys ?

Options
Hello!
I'm new here, and just started caring about my physical today~!... I need to lose some fat but mostly gain muscle :D ... our community gym is offering Zumba (sp?) weekly classes, I want to join....but not so sure if it's the right step to take KWIM ? I'm not fit, lol and I am big and wobble I am 285lbs 5' 7...

do you recommend i join this class? I've never really exercised until now... I went weight lifting and for a brisk walk/easy jog today for the 1st time ...

Have you taken a Zumba class?
Were you in the heavy 200's ?

Thanks for clicking!

Replies

• MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Honey....GO FOR IT! It's all about eating healthy and moving.
  • LiveforChange
    LiveforChange Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Youshould attend im 203 and its great, at first it will betough but hey you will get a good sweat and than youll get the hang of the dance moves
  • icklecyberfairy
    icklecyberfairy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have never done Zumba but i am in the 200s and I did do cardio and strength exercises. I'd say go along, find somewhere at the back of the class, to the side, push as hard as you can but if you need a rest stop for a couple of seconds and then get back into it.
  • millerebony
    Options
    Go for it? I am heavier than you, and I have done zumba before. It is fun, and well worth it. I believe you want to do it; however, you are trying to talk yourself out of it. Take one class and see! I will guarantee you will love it. Good luck and enjoy!
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Anyone can Zumba!!!
    At first you may feel a little self-conscience, but then you realize that no one is paying attention to you because they are so involved in going the right direction themselves!! LOL!
    You can do Zumba at the intensity that fits you...I personally never do any spinning or turning quickly in circles (ever since I had my daughter I get too dizzy from that!) and there are many people who may not jump or bend as deeply....
    Go try it! I will warn you though...it is addicting!!! We even have a group on here for Zumba Lovers!!!
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!!

I was 250ish pounds when I first started doing Zumba. It is so much fun to do you will completely forget about any insecurities that you might have. And I bet anything there will be other 'not so in shape' people in the class too. Much fun and it really gets your heart rate up. Remember to take it slow, don't push too hard. Have fun!
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yep do it. I have seen bigger girls and older ladies in my Zumba class. They tend to go to back which is fine. There is a bit of jumping and some brisk moves that some just don't do. Heck, I am smaller framed and I have to take a breather on some it but LOVE it! It is so much and I would never tell anyone to let weight stop them from it.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    TRY IT... If you LIKE it... DO IT... if not, find something that works for you... It is all about a life change... May be the thing that motivates you to change your lifestyle... If not, find what does and do it. Best wishes.
  • Panda_Warrior
    Options
    oh! ok I'll try it :D thanks for all the great replies...^_^
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I started doing Zumba when I was around 250 pounds, maybe a little heavier. I'm around 100 pounds lighter than that now. If there are things you can't do (like the jumping, for instance), just keep moving. It doesn't matter if you don't do it perfectly.

It's a great workout and is a lot of fun. You can do it.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes! Do it! I started when I was almost in that weight range, it was hard, but fun and had a great calorie burn!
    I still do it 100 pounds later, although I added weights into it, because my body just got too used to it!
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I did at 280..... I enjoyed watching the fat chick in the mirror ( myself:blushing: )!

I really had fun!
  • marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above. My only addition is that many people with tender knees just modify the dance moves to more low impact. Just do what you can, don't be self conscious, and know that laughing is burning calories too.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this!! I'm in the same boat and wondering if it would be appropriate for someone my size. All of my skinny friends swear by it, which is what has me wondering what it would be like for me to show up. Well I CAN dance and I'm certainly not afraid to show some moves so maybe I will go....
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Do it. I'm smaller but I have back issues so I can't do some of the spinning/jumping but it's a great cardio work out. I have a HRM and even with the change ups I"m still burning 500 plus cals a session. I agree with PP don't talk yourself out of it before you even get there. Go , you'll love it.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If you love to dance then do it! I personally cant dance even if it meant to save my life. But my mother in law LOVES zumba and so does my teenage daughter (I dont know where she got the gene, her dad cant dance either) It is a great cardio work out. And good job on the weight training. I firmly believe weight training is the way to go
  • evey83
    evey83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    HI!
    I am a Zumba(R) Fitness Instructor and I think it's a wonderful idea. I am a work in progress myself, and I have students of all ages and fitness levels. The idea is to just keep moving and do what your body can do that day. Before you know it, you've burned a TON of calories and your movements will improve.
    No matter what program you choose, I wish you the very best of luck!
    Happy Dancing!
    Eve
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I did it at 305!! The heavier you are the more calories you burn yay lol. I absolutely love it, super fun and carefree and its a great workout!! You should do it! If you can do it twice a week and watch the pounds fall off!
  • katrinaloveslunar
    Options
    I'm over 350, and I take a Zumba class twice a week (and have been doing that for over a year now). I love it! It's so much fun! It makes me sweat, and I don't care that I'm sweating. I lose myself in the songs and the time flies by because after 4-5 min., it's a new song, so we start over again. I'm the only really heavy person in the class, but I can keep up (and sometime do better) than most of the others (which range from 16-50ish year olds).

There are some modifications I have to make. I have to keep it low impact (thanks to some heel injuries I have) so I march with all my might when others are jumping. Due to my radiation side effects, I can't lift my hands over my heart, so I do all the arm movements lower or create my own. And somedays, I get pretty dizzy (again side effects) so I don't do the spinning so I just do the same movement without the turning. And there are even days when I'm done 20 min. into the 45 min. class, so I sit out a song. Then I'm usually good for the rest of the class. I'm a role model in my class. Because when some of the other people can't keep up, they turn to me to see an alternative. Other than that, nobody notices me. You need to focus on the beat & the moves!

If you want more info, encouragement, or support, feel free to message me. :o)

Good luck & have FUN!
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well, i'm definitely 280+. When my local Y first offered zumba i weighed about 295 #. i loved it and was taking the class 3 times a week. It stopped for a while and i fell off the wagon in my weight, but now they offer it again in Oct i was 336 # taking zumba and still luv it and now i'm a bit smaller ( still have to get food under control ). It takes a few classes to get the moves right but i have a great time. do what you can. if you can't do the spinning around just march in place, they understand.

i found that the more i do it, the more mobile and active i become. hope this helps.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!