Sugar or fat! any advice?

Options

Replies

• loloambush
    Options
    What types of foods are/were you eating? As long as I stay away from processed foods, I do ok in regards to my fat and sugar consumption.

some times fresh & sometimes dried fruit. thanks for the advice I'll do as you said :flowerforyou:
  • spedabstbit
    spedabstbit Posts: 21 Member
    Options

So where do people that eat a vegetarian/vegan diet get their protein from?

Nuts and nut butters are a primary source with lots of protein. Lots of vegetables have at least 1-2 grams of protein in a serving - I call that "hidden protein." I have a small serving of oatmeal each morning for breakfast (1/2 cup oats=1 cup, cooked), and there are 4 grams of protein in that! There are other grain sources of protein as well. Quinoa has 14 grams of protein in 3.5 oz. uncooked. Eat a variety of good-for-you foods, and you'll find all sorts of "hidden protein!"
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories is not as important as cutting out poisons....i.e. sugar, wheat, corn, and beans (peanuts, soy, sprouts)
    If you truly want to be healthy and not just thin, eat right and strength train.
    I've heard that wheat & beans are really good for someone need to lose wight cause it keep'em full but this is my first to know this :)

You may want to read 'Wheat Belly', it's an eye-opener.

Two slices of wholewheat bread will spike your blood sugar more than a snickers bar.

I believe the key is to maintain a low insulin level to allow your metabolism to burn off the fat stores. The presence of insulin will prevent any weight loss. Repeated incidences of high insulin will build insulin resistance and then diabetes is a short snack away.

Hence stick to low GI Real Foods (like the ones Granny would recognise), not processed frankenfoods.

The wheat we eat today is a poor relation to that of 100 or even 50 years ago.

Regarding fat, there is nothing wrong with consuming it, as long as it's the right kind of fat, as others have mentioned.

Anything labelled 'low fat' should be consigned to the garbage and replaced with Real Food.

Consuming fat will not make you fat, the body needs fats. Don't fear the fat.

We have been brainwashed by bad nutrition advice based on Bad Science.

'Why We Get Fat, And What To Do About It' is also worthy of a read.

Once the body gets what it wants and the blood sugar rollercoaster is tamed people return to their natural state of appetite and the body will get rid of the excess naturally.

You may want to watch 'Sugar, The Bitter Truth' on YouTube, 15 minutes of why sugar should be minimised.

There is a reason there aren't any 'essential carbohyrates' ...

And once again I ramble :) Hope you at least watch the YouTube vid anyway.
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are ok, however I would recommend eating whole fruits and not dried or dehydrated fruits. Whole fruits will keep you more full opposed to the concentrated dried fruits, thus allowing you to eat more and consume way more calories of sugar in your diet. I would choose to eat fat over sugar. Eating fat doesn't make you fat! Stay in the AMDRs, exercise regularly and you should be good. Avoid processed sugars and go for more complex carbohydrates. They keep you fuller. Try stevia, I personally don't like the taste but if you're worried about the artificial sweeteners that can actually make you hungrier, then go for that. Healthy fats like nuts and avocados, vegetable oils, non hydrogenated foods, NO TRANS FATS, and foods high in poly and mono unsaturated fats are a good start. Natural foods can have different combinations of fats so that is okay is some is saturated, but make sure it's not too high. I've spent hours going through grocery isles looking for the best foods like pasta sauces, yogurt, breads, dressings, etc. If you really want to make a change, make the sacrifice and do what I did. If anyone has any questions, let me know!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    why would you cut whole wheat and beans and legumes? are you saying consuming that in general or if they're trying to watch sugar and fat intake?

I would say that if you want to lose weight then cutting the wheat out would help enormously. The beans and legumes to a lesser extent. Based on GI.

If you are trying to maintain a weight then discovering what your carb tolerance is would be a good step.

Everyone's body is obviously different and some people have been knocked around so much by the 'low fat good' message that their body will ultimately tolerate very few carbs.

I was stalled until very recently then I cut the wheat, beans and all that. As a by-product I seem to crave them less and do not snack.

I also drink wine like it's going out of fashion (I know, carbs, but hey, it aint a religion), I consume more calories and I exercise less. And my dry skin condition has cleared up. Sounds unreal while also losing weight but those things have happened.

In my opinion and all that. :)
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories is not as important as cutting out poisons....i.e. sugar, wheat, corn, and beans (peanuts, soy, sprouts)
    If you truly want to be healthy and not just thin, eat right and strength train.
    I've heard that wheat & beans are really good for someone need to lose wight cause it keep'em full but this is my first to know this :)

You're absolutely correct! The body has to work harder to break down the foods like complex starches such as WHOLE GRAINS and beans and legumes. They also contain a lot of fiber and resistant starches that the small intestine doesn't absorb all of the sugar. If you are eating simple sugars like fruit juices, fruit, powerade, glucose, etc the body absorbs it all completely via glycogen stores if they've been depleted and anything left over will be converted to fat. It's a lot easier to chug apple juice than eat an apple. Eat whole fruits not dried fruits.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Cut the garbage foods and eat whole healthy foods as much as possible.
    Change your Ratios to 50% Fat, 25% Protien, 25% Carbs
    Fat is good, but not vegetable or soy fat. Get you fat from Meats, nuts, and oils (coconut, butter, olive)

Here is a link to help you start thinking differently: http://www.marksdailyapple.com

Here is are some Documentary movies to watch: Fat Head, King Corn, Food Matters (all available on Netflix)

DO NOT EAT:
    processed foods
    Sugar
    Grains ( Including wheat and soy products)
    Cow's Milk (and other processed homogenized dairy)
    Beans or Legumes

DO EAT:
    Vegetables
    Meat
    Water
    Coconut milk or Almond Milk

They generally don't get that much protein unless they over eat legunes. "Lowish" protein is the main drawback of a vegetarian diet.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    thanks every body that was really helpful to me
    I just found out that sugar can easily burn but fat still fat need a lot to shake'em off!

Sugar can also be very easily converted into fat. Unless your sugar intake is directly associated with a workout, it won't be burned off. It will spike your insulin, get quickly and efficiently converted into fat, and then leave you hungry again an hour later.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    thanks every body that was really helpful to me
    I just found out that sugar can easily burn but fat still fat need a lot to shake'em off!

Sugar can also be very easily converted into fat. Unless your sugar intake is directly associated with a workout, it won't be burned off. It will spike your insulin, get quickly and efficiently converted into fat, and then leave you hungry again an hour later.

Wow...

So if sugar is eaten anytime other then right around a workout it just turns to fat?
  • drewstl
    drewstl Posts: 4
    Options
    I am having a wonderful time losing weight cutting sugar and starch on a LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) diet. I had sausage for breakfast and I'll go out and get grilled chicken for lunch, maybe mix in some mayo, bacon, and lettuce wrap. At the moment I'm avoiding all sugars and carbs including those from fruit but when I reach my goal weight I'll introduce some of those back in. I'm losing weight and I'm not hungry. When I am hungry I eat.

Some great resources:
    dietdoctor dot com
    Go to hulu and watch a movie/documentary called 'Fat Head' - He eats fast food every day and loses weight
    Go to youtube and search 'Gary Taubes' - There is a great speech he gave at Google last spring

Good Luck

21101339.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am having a wonderful time losing weight cutting sugar and starch on a LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) diet. I had sausage for breakfast and I'll go out and get grilled chicken for lunch, maybe mix in some mayo, bacon, and lettuce wrap. At the moment I'm avoiding all sugars and carbs including those from fruit but when I reach my goal weight I'll introduce some of those back in. I'm losing weight and I'm not hungry. When I am hungry I eat.

Some great resources:
    dietdoctor dot com
    Go to hulu and watch a movie/documentary called 'Fat Head' - He eats fast food every day and loses weight
    Go to youtube and search 'Gary Taubes' - There is a great speech he gave at Google last spring

Good Luck

Grats on your weight loss but to call Fat Head and Taubes "great" resources would be stretching it
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Wow...
    So if sugar is eaten anytime other then right around a workout it just turns to fat?

Not only that, it goes straight to whatever body part you don't want it to go to.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    why would you cut whole wheat and beans and legumes? are you saying consuming that in general or if they're trying to watch sugar and fat intake?

I would say that if you want to lose weight then cutting the wheat out would help enormously. The beans and legumes to a lesser extent. Based on GI.

If you are trying to maintain a weight then discovering what your carb tolerance is would be a good step.

Everyone's body is obviously different and some people have been knocked around so much by the 'low fat good' message that their body will ultimately tolerate very few carbs.

I was stalled until very recently then I cut the wheat, beans and all that. As a by-product I seem to crave them less and do not snack.

I also drink wine like it's going out of fashion (I know, carbs, but hey, it aint a religion), I consume more calories and I exercise less. And my dry skin condition has cleared up. Sounds unreal while also losing weight but those things have happened.

GI has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss. It's only relevant for Diabetes.
  • drewstl
    drewstl Posts: 4
    Options

GI has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss. It's only relevant for Diabetes.

The glycemic index ranks foods and beverages based on how they affect your blood sugar level. Some food is thought to disrupt this natural balance by creating large spikes in your blood sugar level. When your blood sugar and insulin levels stay high, or cycle up and down rapidly, your body has trouble responding and over time this could contribute to insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance is associated with a host of health problems, including:
    Type 2 diabetes
    Obesity
    High blood pressure
    Stroke
    Heart disease

... some evidence suggests that a diet higher in protein and lower on the glycemic index may lead to sustained weight loss.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/glycemic-index-diet/MY00770
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options

The glycemic index ranks foods and beverages based on how they affect your blood sugar level. Some food is thought to disrupt this natural balance by creating large spikes in your blood sugar level. When your blood sugar and insulin levels stay high, or cycle up and down rapidly, your body has trouble responding and over time this could contribute to insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance is associated with a host of health problems, including:
    Type 2 diabetes
    Obesity
    High blood pressure
    Stroke
    Heart disease

... some evidence suggests that a diet higher in protein and lower on the glycemic index may lead to sustained weight loss.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/glycemic-index-diet/MY00770

Strange protein illicits a insulin spike comparable to most "bad" carbs.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I watch sugar and eat about 30-35% daily of healthy fat, for me sugar is way worse than healthy fats

Second this!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Sugar is bad.. I'm talking about added sugar not the kind from fruit. Our bodies are designed to burn fat, that's why we are so great at hanging on to it!

We all have our own eating styles, for me I need to steer clear of sugar ( I actually get a buzz from it) and starchy carbs, and increase protein & good fats.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Fat is good, but not vegetable or soy fat. Get you fat from Meats, nuts, and oils (coconut, butter, olive)

Here is a link to help you start thinking differently: http://www.marksdailyapple.com

Here is are some Documentary movies to watch: Fat Head, King Corn, Food Matters (all available on Netflix)

DO NOT EAT:
    processed foods
    Sugar
    Beans or Legumes

DO EAT:
    Vegetables
    Meat
    Water

Umm what? Not sure if srs
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

DO NOT EAT:
    processed foods
    Sugar
    Beans or Legumes

DO EAT:
    Vegetables
    Meat
    Water

They generally don't get that much protein unless they over eat legunes. "Lowish" protein is the main drawback of a vegetarian diet.

Nonsense. Brand new vegetarians maybe have some difficulty getting enough protein but vegetarians in general do not have any such problems. Vitamin B12 and Iron deficiency are the only common deficiencies, and even those can be prevented. You can even do low-carb as a vegetarian- though I think its pretty limited and boring.

Vegan diets are more difficult to get protein without dairy and eggs. Still, most vegans know how to properly combine their foods to get sufficient protein. Examples: Corn and Lima Beans (succotash) is a complete protein. Beans and rice or beans and tortillas create a complete protein (no wonder we all love south american food!). Soy is a vegan source that contains complete proteins.