Advise Polar Heart Rate Monitor

Options

Replies

• lincolnpalmer
    lincolnpalmer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have an FT80 which I love. It's more expensive, but it comes with the Flow Link so you can keep a workout diary on Polarpersonaltrainer.com.

I got mine from heartratemonitorsusa.com for about $200. I was worried about the site because the price was so low, but I got the watch and everything was fine. The box seemed like it may have been opened at one point, but the $100 savings was worth it.

Whatever you decide, they are great tools!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have a FT4 and after 3 weeks, it doesn't work correctly! I would APPRECIATE any advice!

Clean the strap per instructions seems to be the common fix.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have an FT80 which I love. It's more expensive, but it comes with the Flow Link so you can keep a workout diary on Polarpersonaltrainer.com.

I got mine from heartratemonitorsusa.com for about $200. I was worried about the site because the price was so low, but I got the watch and everything was fine. The box seemed like it may have been opened at one point, but the $100 savings was worth it.

Whatever you decide, they are great tools!

Is that the one that includes interval timer, or better, timers?

Dual display perhaps, workout time and HR on same screen?

That is great price, and much better training version.
  • FromFat2Fab
    FromFat2Fab Posts: 101
    Options
    where can i find a FT4 for a great price?
  • Chloe_P78
    Chloe_P78 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just bought an FT40 online and it arrived today - very happy to hear so many positive reviews!
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7...great thing except...I`ve only had it 4 weeks and the chest trans battery has died...And can i get the battery out? Nope...Have to take it into a shop.

My old one was a doddle to change.

I have the FT7 as well and love it! Changed the battery on it myself and it wasn't much of a problem -- just had to use a flat head screw driver to turn the slot.
  • Sudie10
    Sudie10 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi!
    I work at Intersport and sell a lot of Polar heartrate monitors. I currently use th RS300X which I think is awesome for both my running and other exercises! If you want a farily simple, but highly effective heartrate monitor, this is your choice!

(I´m going to get the RCX3 though, to upgrade a bit. But, like I said, i work in a sports store, it´s hard ro resist...)
  • kmbrleykay
    Options
    I've wondered whether to get one of these too but most of my workouts tend to be aqua ones because they a low impact and good fun. Is there one that I could use for swimming or aqua aerobics? And what stops the chest band slipping when you are jumping about? Are they a problem to wear for the bustier woman?
    I have the FT4 and yes you can use it in the water, I did a class at our local water park and it worked just fine. It says it is good up to so many feet, check the website. I no longer have my book, as I have had mine for about 3 years. I have not had any problems with mine slipping it is part elastic so you adjust it to fit tight & It fits at the bottom of your chest, I usually put mine under the bottom edge of my bra.
  • Sudie10
    Sudie10 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi!
    Have you rinsed the cheststrap after every WO? Also, after appr. every 4:th WO you need to wash it in the washingmachine! (throw it in with your other WO gear/clothes.) NO fabric softener, though, and only a small amount of detergent.
    Make sure you run the batteryholder under some water too, and dry it off.
    If this doesn´t work, contact Polar for service!
    (I sell Polar heartrate monitors...)
    //Susie
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7...great thing except...I`ve only had it 4 weeks and the chest trans battery has died...And can i get the battery out? Nope...Have to take it into a shop.

My old one was a doddle to change.

I`ve contacted Amazon uk and they are sending me out a full replacement..
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    FT4 it has changed my life :) lol
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have just had the FT60 arrive this morning at work, will be setting it up tonight.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Got an FT60, happy
  • Jennybebop
    Jennybebop Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just saw this post as I am setting up my newly purchased FT4. Just received it in the mail - I'm going to use it for spinning this afternoon - will let you know how it goes!!

I used the FT4 yesterday afternoon for the first time. It was very easy to use - the strap was comfortable (I actually forgot to take it off after the class) and it turns out that while I had previously been logging 500 calories for that workout, I actually burned 750... Totally worth it already!
  • danellekay
    Options
    I also got a polar FT4 and love it...especially cuz its pink!:happy:
  • jwilds1010
    jwilds1010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    FT7 LOVE IT!!!!
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    I have a FT4 and after 3 weeks, it doesn't work correctly! I would APPRECIATE any advice!

Clean the strap per instructions seems to be the common fix.

Unfortunately, this did not work! Polar is sending me a new strap
  • btb079
    btb079 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My husband and I love the FT7.
  • candytag
    candytag Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 and can not hear hear the beep while working out. Does anyone else have this problem is there a volume control? I also do not like that you can not see your calories being burned or heartrate and time all at once. So far not in love with my FT4 except for the color.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have an FT4 and can not hear hear the beep while working out. Does anyone else have this problem is there a volume control? I also do not like that you can not see your calories being burned or heartrate and time all at once. So far not in love with my FT4 except for the color.

True, it's not a really great training feature laden HRM. It is very basic, and I think meant to jump on the bandwagon of folks wanting to know calorie burn.

I've had a $60 Timex in the past that had training features that a Polar model would cost $140 or more to get. And still not have the interval timer.

But, compared to many years ago, the competition has caused them to at least lower prices, and improve the product (like user replaceable batteries and newer chest strap is great idea) - but the basic ability to get EKG level HR beats is pretty standard on all of them now.
    Still some improvements to go, protecting the glass face better, readability, multi-info on same screen you noted, couple extra training features on cheaper models (come on, you got upper zone alarm, put in a lower one)

You are paying for them doing their own research studies into calorie burn estimates is my guess, and the ability to dynamically adjust that fat burn/fitness line, which I'm still not sure how they do that after just a few minutes of exercise.