Raising that calorie intake

Options
2»

Replies

• Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Doing the exact samething! Its slow.. but Im not hungry. I have energy and I no more headaches!!! We need the calories to function :smile:
  • amysuespears
    Options
    3 weeks ago, I raised my calorie intake to meet my BMR... I was terrified because it was 1850 calories! I also had the 1200 in my head... but I was at a stall and hadn't lost a lb since SEPTEMBER!! In the past 3 weeks, I have watched my body change pretty dramatically. I exercise 6 days a week (same as before), alternating between 20 minute cardio intensity training (body for life principle) and circuit training with weights at the gym. I eat 6 times a day... I make sure I eat all my calories. I haven't weighed myself just yet, but I can seriously see a difference in my clothes and my body! :) It's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to find your BMR and EAT THOSE CALORIES!!! good luck, all :)
  • jean51
    jean51 Posts: 29
    Options
    very interesting posts
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Im really confused. so the calories that I burn off exercising,I need to eat that many back to lose weight?

I need to. Some people swear that they can't. If I don't, I don't lose weight, I am very hungry and feel horrible.
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I wear a bodymedia fit armband (similar to the bodybugg/fitbit) and I burn anywhere from 2200-2500 calories a day. The weekends I tend to burn more because of running errands. I try to eat anywhere from 1700-2000 a day. I have been stalled for the past 6 weeks. Not moving at all. Sure go up a pound then back down the next day. I have done everything from drinking more water, cutting back on carbs, eating more protein, changing exercises...etc. But I have promised myself I am not going to complain, because my clothes are fitting better then ever. Plus after doing some calculations I only have about 5-10 lbs to lose to reach my BF% goal. I have a feeling I will not reach my goal weight, but I am ok with it as long as I am strong and fit and reach my BF% goal.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, 1200 calories is way too low unless you are under 5feet and only have 5-10 pounds to lose.
    Glad you posted this. MFP started me at the dreaded 1200 and I was full of failure and defeat for the first six months, then I changed it to 1300 and kept losing/gaining the same 5lbs for another few months. Finally up to 1400 and started losing and keeping weight off, but then I realized I was eating below my BMR, and all of my healthy, fit, successful MFP friends were never eating below their BMR.

Now I'm on a mission to up my calories every few weeks until I am eating a proper amount. It still looks like I am losing weight, it's been 2 weeks since upping my calories 100. I wish MFP didn't start out so low, or at least there were more steps when signing up to make sure people aren't eating below their BMR. It's not good for you and only sabotages you in the end.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I wear a bodymedia fit armband (similar to the bodybugg/fitbit) and I burn anywhere from 2200-2500 calories a day. The weekends I tend to burn more because of running errands. I try to eat anywhere from 1700-2000 a day. I have been stalled for the past 6 weeks. Not moving at all. Sure go up a pound then back down the next day. I have done everything from drinking more water, cutting back on carbs, eating more protein, changing exercises...etc. But I have promised myself I am not going to complain, because my clothes are fitting better then ever. Plus after doing some calculations I only have about 5-10 lbs to lose to reach my BF% goal. I have a feeling I will not reach my goal weight, but I am ok with it as long as I am strong and fit and reach my BF% goal.

You are so close to your goal weight, you should decrease your deficit to 200-300 cals per day, not 500 or more. Great job getting this far!

It is frustrating that it seems like MFP defaults to 1200 cals, which seems to be too low for most people, but I guess it's a good starting point. I think everyone should do their own research on their BMR and TDEE (since it can vary greatly from person to person even at the same height and weight), learn from the forums, and determine their own calorie needs based on the results.

V_n_V, thanks for posting and congrats on your success!!! Keep up the awesomeness! :flowerforyou:
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting, I've been thinking about doing that. I feel like I'm moving slowly (set at 1 pound per week), but I do notice some measurement differences. Like you, the idea of upping my calories terrifies me. I'm listed at sedentry, because my day job is *mostly* sitting, but I exercise 4-5 days a week, and pretty decently, I'd say. I've been kind of toying with the idea of moving myself up to lightly active, and leaving my exercise where it is, but I'm unsure. I'm terrified that I'm going to start packing weight on from it :/

I would try upping to lightly active. You aren't sedentary if you are doing that much extra activity. I tried to have a sedentary day. I came close, but it is actually pretty hard to do.

Thanks, I'm going to give it a whirl !
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    Totally agree 100% my friend:flowerforyou: Just posted my own "Eat More Food" topic!!!

If we scream it from the rooftops maybe they will hear us......or not but it's worth a try:smile:
  • saunyar
    saunyar Posts: 4
    Options
    I had stalled for months as well-got to a number on the scale and could not budge, no matter what...didn't matter how I exercised-and so I came here, read some posts and upped my calories-it was scary at first but I have dropped two pounds in ten days and I feel better than I have in a long while! So yeah, don't be afraid to eat!!!!