Replies

• aiwich
    aiwich Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump for later :tongue:
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This has already been mentioned but starting strength is probably one of your best bets. NROLW has good info but I don't love the actual plans. I prefer something more basic that gets the job done. If you can afford a trainer who understands the lifts and barbell training you could start there and get them to watch your form and make sure you are set up for success before branching out on your own. If not, just read the books and maybe check out some videos that show correct form and start out with light weight to make sure you are doing everything correctly before loading up your bar. Either way, I would get started sooner than later. Good luck :)
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    thankyou all so much for your advice.... im currently doing the 30 day shred which is the first time ive really heard about combining weight training and cardio.

ill do some research and start :)

thanks everyone x
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Weight training has been far and away my favorite part of my exercise routine. It usually feels like me time. Good luck!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I was going to do the "wait until I'm in better shape" thing as well, but after reading lots of good advice on MFP, I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer to start strength training NOW and I've been so happy that I did! The first time I went was killer and I had a hard time walking/squatting for a couple of days, but the time after was much easier and so now I mix strength training and cardio.

Cardio is good, but strength training makes my muscles burn and I feel like I'm accomplishing something because I feel it after for much longer. Get the books if you want, but I can't recommend enough getting a PT to help begin and set up some programs and show you the right ways to do things. Good luck!
  • MamaBGood
    MamaBGood Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I just started Stronglifts 5x5

I like it because you can just download from online and it is only 6 lifts (3 per workout), so very basic
  • Angie0rtiz
    Options
    I was going to do the "wait until I'm in better shape" thing as well, but after reading lots of good advice on MFP, I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer to start strength training NOW and I've been so happy that I did! The first time I went was killer and I had a hard time walking/squatting for a couple of days, but the time after was much easier and so now I mix strength training and cardio.

Cardio is good, but strength training makes my muscles burn and I feel like I'm accomplishing something because I feel it after for much longer. Get the books if you want, but I can't recommend enough getting a PT to help begin and set up some programs and show you the right ways to do things. Good luck!

If you dont mind me ask whats your weight? Reason I ask is Im 225 and on 5'5" Just like you I thought weight til I loose more (at least the under 200 mark) then start weight training.
    Not sure what to do?
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    bump
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    www.startingstrenght.com

www.stronglifts.com

Or a lot of people recommend the book New Rules Of Lifting for Women

There are others but I am drawing a blank right now.

^^^
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • vancil01
    vancil01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just start picking things up and putting them down....
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    bump
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    for those of you who are just starting out, do you do a full body routine or concentrate on 1-2 muscle groups per day?
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I just started Chalean extreme and am loving it, its strength training and cardio all in one, shes all about stressing your muscles and reaching failure between the 10-12 rep. I definitely have started feeling my muscles working hard from this work out!
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options

If you dont mind me ask whats your weight? Reason I ask is Im 225 and on 5'5" Just like you I thought weight til I loose more (at least the under 200 mark) then start weight training.
    Not sure what to do?

@Angie0rtiz Im 224 lbs and 5'8" i figured to wait til i was under 200 at least. but im gunna speak to the trainer at the gym x

thanks for all your advice xxx