Chili's and Restaurant Insanity

Options
jpruder
jpruder Posts: 19 Member
Hi fellow fitness pals,

I just had to get this off my chest...

I recently went to dinner with my cousin. Normally if I know I will be going out to eat I decide what I am going to eat before I go. We didn't know where we were going to go so that wasn't really an option. We ended up at Chili's because it was the closest restaurant to her hotel. I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich thinking it couldn't be TOO bad. Boy was I wrong!

When I got home I looked up their nutirional information and I was astounded. Every dinner salad (aside from the side house salad) is over 500 calories, with one salad topping out at 1,300 calories. Every sandwich and every burger (which are served with fries) is over 1,000 calories and several are over 2,000 calories. On the website they have a "Lighter Choices" section... but apparently the restaurant I was at did not participate in this. Even the lighter choices are not all that "light" when it comes to fat, sodium, and in some cases calories.

I completely understand that as a consumer it is ultimately my responsibility to decide what I put in my body... what this Chili's situation led to was me being paranoid. It makes me nervous about ever dining out! It is reality that there are times when anyone who is trying to make healthy lifestyle choices will be eating out, at weddings or events, etc. I try to do my best to make good choices, but when I see things like 2,000 calorie sandwiches an salads that are between 500 and 1,300 calories it makes me wonder how people can ever REALLY know how to make good choices.

How do you go about making good choices when you don't have nutrition information? Tips?

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    At least Chili's HAS their nutritional content posted for you to see and review ahead of time... Personally, I never eat all of what I'm served... I just naturally don't... and I try to stay away from the appetizers (unless that is my meal)... drink tea or water (If you don't already do that)... and in the end, eating out like this every once in a while isn't going to kill ya... so I wouldn't worry and just focus on portion sizes... Oh and I ususally look up stuff on my phone while we are waiting to order.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I look at the menu beforehand. If I can't do that, then I will order things cooked without butter, without cheese, without mayo (or any other sauces that I can't calculate the total - i.e., no mayo, but ketchup is ok). Some places also have a lower calories menu that would be good to order from. You also have to keep in mind that the calorie counts on the website are what you get if you eat the whole thing. I always ask for a box with my meal, so I can box half of it up before I am tempted to eat it. I ask how the stuff is cooked - what sauce, seasoning, etc. It's your food. I'm paying for them to cook my food, so if I want to order an item that is "off menu" they better let me do it or I may not go back.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my go to safety net when stuck eating out where I don't know the menu choices are good is that I only eat half, that way if I'm over it won't be too bad. my back up is to eat only protein and veg. for example chili's tells you how many ounces are in the steak and has a steamed veg choice for sides. There is usually a fish choice on most menus as well but be careful of sauces.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    It's very frustrating! Eating out for me, I limit it pretty strictly. If I do eat out I plan it ahead of time IF I can find their nutritional facts online. I keep getting bugged to eat at Texas Roadhouse, they do NOT have their nutritional information online so I have been putting off going there. :blushing:

Also I try to substitute things as much as I can. Something comes with fries? I ask for vegetables instead. Something comes with mashed potatoes, again I ask for *steamed vegetables. I don't eat breadsticks or dinner rolls either. I ask for salads (usually side) without cheese, no croutons, I ask if I can swap dressings (say swap out ranch for a vinaigrette instead) and ask for it on the side. I basically try to scale back the food as much as possible when I don't know the nutritional information, but then again I am a stickler about that and really try to not eat at said place(s) if I CAN'T find out the info beforehand, but that's just me.

If I know I will go to someones house I actually try to eat before I go just in case because I don't know a lot of the time what they are serving or how they prepare it. Leave a little bit of room so I am polite about eating their food, never allow myself to go there starving.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If you don't know in advance what you're going to order, go with a lean unsauced meat (grilled chicken, fish, etc.) and unsauced vegetables for a side. Stay away from tortillas, fatty red meats (leaner cuts of beef are fine), and starches, and you can usually get away fairly easily. Ask for your dressing on the side also. Stay away from the breaded meats also, as they are often deep fried.

Chili's has a Margarita Chicken dish that is excellent and only about 600 calories for a big plate of food. Also, they can do the burgers without the bun.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I think it's time to stop hanging out with your cousin. He/she is obviously trying to sabotage your efforts. What do you value more?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    What do you value more?

Bacon, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Milk.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    SALAD DRESSING IS HIGH IN CALORIES?!?!?!?! NOWAI!?!?!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I either look beforehand, or on my smartphone when I'm there. Or I just say f*** it and eat whatever I want.

Sometimes things "appear" healthy, but you have to be a smart consumer. You have to realize that sauces and dressings and cheeses are typically the reason things are higher in calories. It is really easy to make a sandwich lower calorie by taking off the bun or asking them to not put the sauce and cheese on it. Asking for a different side (steamed veggies instead of fries). It really isn't that difficult, you just have to be picky and let the waiters know it.

Heck, sometimes the "cleanest" food you can find on a menu is the best. Which may even be a big 'ole plain steak (assuming you skip on the loaded sides).
  • wyndwoman
    wyndwoman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, we don't have many choices for eating out in my little rural town, Chili's being one of them (along with Denny's and IHoP) and it just kills me there's nothing to eat there.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how many calories restaurants can pack into meal. Portion sizes are crazy. Salads I find are usually a bad choice unless you skip the dressing & any fried stuff.

At Chili's I get the salmon with broccoli, but I try to avoid Chili's... they are kind of like McDonald's.. you just 'end up there'.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yep.

Chili's is a favorite restaurant of mine that I've had to give up... won't even go anymore. =/

Thankfully, The Cheesecake Factory really DOES have a "skinny" menu, now. You can request a lighter menu at The Olive Garden as well. ...and there are other places (TGI Fridays, maybe?). Some restaurants are making an effort, but I always have to look it up ahead of time or get on my smart phone while I'm there (if we end up someplace not known ahead of time). If all else fails - a salad with no dressing plus a small portion meal (like a healthy-esque appetizer).
  • tmacmoto
    tmacmoto Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that you are ultimately the consumer and it is your right to ask how the food is prepared if it's not posted on the menu. When i'm in your situation when we go out...I scan the menu and request that the fish or chicken not be breaded or deep fried or cooked with butter/oil. Instead of fries, I get a side salad with balsamic vinegar dressing on the side, and if there are fresh veg options, I try to make sure that they are steamed without butter/oil.

It's your right as a consumer! Don't be afraid to be pushy (in a nice way, of course) to get want you want and to control how it is prepared for you. It is very possible to get healthy options at 'not so healthy' places.

And if they don't do the way you request, don't go back and know that you can always right a review of them on Yelp, Foursquare, etc.

And that if you can...keep a protein bar in your purse at all times as a backup.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I worked at Chili's all through college and there are ways to make it healthier. However, they are assuming you are eating EVERYTHING on the plate with zero modifications. For example, the honey mustard they put on that sandwich has 100 calories. Then there's 3 slices of bacon - another 100 calories. Plus the fries and the fact that it's a GIANT sandwich. I used to get just the sandwich with no bacon, honey mustard on the side and calculated it to be about 600 calories which, for a meal, isn't bad.

Other good chilis options (for those interested) margarita chicken - veggies instead of rice, buffalo chicken sandwich - grilled, veggies instead of fries, all of the kids items (except the chicken crispers) aren't bad (my fav is the grilled chicken sandwich with some buffalo sauce and bleu cheese crumbles added).

You just have to be mindful of things. The portions are restaurants are huge. If you made that exact sandwich at home, in a normal size, it'd be about 500 calories or less.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Sigh... I irritate the waitstaff and kitchen staff by requesting stuff on the side, cooked without oil, and substituting veggies for anything else. Despite some of the looks I get, it's worth it, even if they probably ignore some of my requests. And I tip well, for al of my requests.

We do have a restaurant locally that specializes in allergy-free dining and when you make a reservation, they call you to discuss what you can and can't eat. They're pricey, so I don't go there often, but it's awesome since that's what they expect-- no eye rolls at all.

That said, when I plan to go to some crazy fancy restaurant, I just go-- no tracking, no obsessing, just enjoying every single bite of it. Especially if it's French. I don't even want to know :P
  • lgtahoe
    lgtahoe Posts: 96
    Options
    Almost any restaurant will do a piece of plain grilled fish or meat and a side of steamed veggies or salad with dressing on the side.

Also, tell them you can't have dairy so they don't try to sneak some butter into anything.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Chili's has a Margarita Chicken dish that is excellent and only about 600 calories for a big plate of food.

And it's suprisingly delicious.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    lol @ the snarky replies.

Chili's is like a mini Cheesecake factory. I avoid the place altogether, but I understand sometimes you can't control where your guests would like to eat. In cases like that, order something grilled and leave the breading behind. Order the chicken sandwich but take it off the bun. A lot of the calories are probably from the bun being smothered in butter (I'm looking at you Cik-fil-A!!!!!!).

One meal won't ruin anything so just exercise a little harder the next day. Stressing out can only hurt your weight loss effort, right?
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    When I know I'm going to eat out and there is no avoiding it I exercise before hand. That way you can have extra calories to indulge in and you don't have to feel guilty. :)
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    One rule that I learned about eating out is to NEVER eat all of the food they give you. Restaurant portions are usually good for 2 people. I always get a take away box FIRST and put half in it before eating. Might look silly, but my body thanks me for it.