Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    yup you gotta find 1200 cals of good filling foods
  • All_Mimsy
    All_Mimsy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I set my weekly weight loss goal too high (1 lb or more per week), MFP also recommended around 1200 net calories per day. I was miserable and I could tell my body needed more fuel, so I upped my daily net goal to 1450. Because I exercise a lot, I actually end up eating a total of 1650-2000 calories per day, but I try to net at least 1450. I'm still losing weight at a rapid pace, but I feel so much better. Don't be afraid to increase your caloric intake until you find something that feels "right" for you. You're not in a race to meet your goal weight! You're much more likely to be successful if you have a plan that you can sustain.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Eat less carbs. When you eat carbs, it jacks your blood sugar level up and when it crashes, you feel hungry. If you eat less carbs, you will have a more stable blood sugar level and you won't get so hungry.

Being "filling" is somewhat of a misnomer. What makes you hungry isn't the physical size of your stomach organ, it's your blood sugar level.

You don't want to eat "filling" food, you want food that stabilizes your BSL.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends that I only eat 1200 per day too. I couldn't function on it and found that I don't lose very much when I eat only 1200 so I upped my calories to a variable between 1500 and 1800 per day. I do not eat my exercise calories back though unless my NET calories are below 1200. Try for a few weeks with like 1500 calories and see how you do. You may be surprised at how it works =)
  • CristlNothem
    CristlNothem Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    its always hard in the beginning. I felt like i was always hungry, but that is because my body was used to eating so many more calories and a whole lot of crap. It took a little while to become accustomed to it and no longer be hungry. I have found that eating just a little bit of beef jerky in between meals (when i am at work) has helped me to feel more full.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You haven't got many days filled in yet, but what there is says you're not eating well. I'd cut out the ready meals - you'll find homemade food without all the additives a lot more filling and you'll be able to have more of it. Try and get your protein intake up. And as others have said, you need to do the maths around your BMR and TDEE. You sound like you're more active than just sedentary and I doubt 1200 is enough - I'm losing on 1700 + eating back exercise calories, although I'm tall
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends that I only eat 1200 per day too. I couldn't function on it and found that I don't lose very much when I eat only 1200 so I upped my calories to a variable between 1500 and 1800 per day. I do not eat my exercise calories back though unless my NET calories are below 1200. Try for a few weeks with like 1500 calories and see how you do. You may be surprised at how it works =)

This!!

I actually set MFP at maintenance. Then let my workout be my deficit. I think it is a lot easier to keep up with. So, some days I may only be a 200 calorie defect and other days I am a 500 calorie deficit. But, to think that I can only eat 1200 is not enough!!

I eat 1600-1900 calories per day.
  • mystic_elegance
    mystic_elegance Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I would recommend three things.
    1. Make sure your drinking at least 8 glasses of water daily, and try to drink one before a meal.
    2. Add to every meal some vegetables, try to avoid butter or dressings if you can. Vegetables are a great source of nutrients, can make you feel Fuller without the excessive calories. Or do a veggie salad with every meal with fat free very low calorie dressing, you can usually find these at your local grocery store in a spray bottle.
    3. If you want to eat more, then do it. Just make sure you burn off the extra calories before the end of the day.
    Good luck :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Looking at what you've eaten over the past few days I have little wonder why you're having such a difficult time. You're eating a lot of prepackaged foods, you're not showing it but I'm assuming that your sodium is off the charts too (if I get too much sodium in my diet I get really hungry and start craving sweets on top).

The biggest trick I learned when I was on 1200 calories is that steamed and raw veggies go a long long way, and so do exercise calories. I found it incredibly difficult to survive on 1200 calories, so I would exercise my *kitten* off and earn enough calories to satisfy. On days where I can't exercise I load up on the steamed veg and super lean meats. Up your protein goal, and eat foods high in fiber.

I'm not the "cleanest" eater in the world, but I would suggest cucking the velveta for better cheeses too . . . get a nice block of cheddar.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Short and simple. Exercise more and you'll be able to eat more and still lose weight.
  • All_Mimsy
    All_Mimsy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also try to get the most "bang for my buck" with the foods I eat. I try to eat a lot of fiber, protein, healthy fats (ie., not saturated or trans), and carbs from whole grains/fruits/veggies/legumes. I've slightly changed the way I eat some of my favorite foods. For example, I eat whole wheat pancakes instead of traditional buttermilk pancakes. I only eat natural peanut butter (ie., no added oils or sugar). When I eat cream of wheat, it's always the whole-grain version. I've replaced jelly on my peanut butter sandwiches with whole fruit (bananas or strawberries)--it's yummier, more nutritious, and WAY more filling. There are all kinds of tweaks you can make to your meals to make them more nutritious and satisfying. Good luck!
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Short and simple. Exercise more and you'll be able to eat more and still lose weight.

Oh and eating back all your exercise calories or not will depend on your own body and how it reacts to it. Most times I eat back a very small amount of my exercise calories. So far so good.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    diary open only three days in it though cuz im new but i think im gunna add 250 extra and work my way down

You are eating high calorie low nutrient foods all the time. For example:

Lean Cuisine - Pepperoni Pizza, 1 Pizza (170g)
    Replace with:
    1 Whole Wheat Pita, 1/4 C Mozzerella, 1/4c Pizza Sauce, 2c of veggies

Pbj - Pbj, 1 Sandwich
    Replace with:
    Apple and 2tbs Peanut Butter with 1tbs Water (PB and Water for 30 Seconds).

I 100% agree. Those Lean Cuisine items are high in calories (and probably sodium), but they don't tend to have much to keep you going. You can make your own - spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, pesto pasta with veggies and chicken. Just measure your ingredients, use the Recipes tool to figure out calorie content, and package and freeze them in individual serving containers. Way cheaper, and you can load them full of veggies to give you more bulk with less calories!
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A safe area to be in would be 20-35% less of your TDEE to lose weight.

Here's a simple calculation.
    Estimated TDEE = Multiply your weight in lbs x 15.
    To lose weight = Subtract 20-35%
    Follow plan for 3 weeks.
    Adjust accordingly.

Example:
    Assuming you're 143 lbs.
    Estimated TDEE = 143 x 15 = 2145
    20% of 2145 = 429 --> 2145-429=1716 (0.86 lbs per week)
    35% of 2145 = 751 --> 2145-751=1394 (1.50 lbs per week)
    In this example to lose weight, eat between 1400-1715 calories.

MFP doesn't use percentages. They base their loss by lbs per week.
    3500 calories = 1 lb. 3500/7 = 500 calories per day
    7000 calories = 2 lb. 7000/7 = 1000 calories per day
    2145-500 = 1645
    2145-1000 = 1145
    As you can tell, using poundages for a person with such a low TDEE wouldn't be a great idea, because a 2 lb loss per week is detrimental for a person with such a low TDEE.

If you had a higher TDEE of 2700, it would be fine to subtract 500-1000 calories per day.
    2700-500=2200
    2700-1000=1700

But a better way, would still be to use the 20-35%.
    20% of 2700 = 540 --> 2700-540=2160 (0.72 lbs per week)
    35% of 2700 = 945 --> 2700-945=1755 (1.25 lbs per week)
    In this example to lose weight, eat between 1750-2150 calories.

****The important thing with all of these calculations is they are estimates.
    ****It doesn't really matter what numbers you pick.
    ****Pick a number and stick with it for 3 weeks.
    ****Based off your RESULTS, either increase or decrease.

****If after 3 weeks, your average weekly fat loss was:
    --Less than 1 lb/wk -->Reduce your calories by 10%
    --1-1.5 lbs/wk --> No Change
    --2+ lbs/wk -->Is there performance loss?-->No (no change), Yes (Increase calories by 10%)

^^^^^^ This should be a must read before you can sign up to MFP. Thank you for taking time to post it. I think this information would help a lot of people
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Up you calories by 100 each day until you aren't starving anymore...I was having the same problem until I spoke to my trainer at the gym. She said 1200 is too low for someone who is exercising and that I should be at least 1400 cals on days I don't work out. When you work out you should be eating back most (if not all) of the calories otherwise you are starving the weight off and might actually end up gaining weight (which happened to me)

Eat more and lose the weight the proper way (which is unfortunately slower than we would all like) but it will stay off forever.

Good luck! (I currently eat about 1300 - 1400 on days I don't work out and eat back the calories I 'earn' when I do work out)

I am happy to say I have been losing the weight again instead of gaining too!