chicken wings

Options
So I gotta question... every thursday my group of friends goes to a local bar to eat chicken wings.. kinda a ritual, we ALWAYS have to go. lol

now if I am working out at least 6 days a week burning at least 400 cals each day and eating for the most part pretty healthy and staying under my calorie goal... would having these wings kabash my week?

i just feel like after having the wings I NEVER see a difference on the scale week after week...

or could it be that because I have wings on thursday and do my weekly weigh in on fridays that thats why I never see a difference? because its more of a "bad" and "heavy" food? should I pick a new weigh in day, far away from my wing date?

idk, just kinda confused but don't wanna give up my weekly wings!!

if you need any more info please ask :)

Replies

• Flippiefloppies
    Options
    Try eating them naked. No sauce?
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt think they are to bad for you unless they are loaded with sauce, according to the chart here they are 80+ calories.
    How many are you eating? drinking also?
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Go for the gusto! :)
  • lfholland
    lfholland Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think that should ruin your diet as long as you eat pretty well the rest of the week. The lack of weight loss could easily be caused by the restaurant using a significant amount of salt. Drink lots of water over the weekend and try weighing yourself on Sunday or Monday. If you still haven't lost weight, there is probably some other problem.
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    anglemd80.. thats the best part, the sauce! ;) lol

umm i wouldn't say they are LOADED with sauce, at least 3/4 of the wing has some on it... at the very most 10 wings? and no not drinking :)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    Try moving your weigh in to like Wednesday morning or even Thursday morning. Maybe fast a little the night before, like don't eat past 7pm or something like that so you can have a more accurate weigh in. Drink lots of water :smile:
    I would not be surprised that eating wings the night before your weigh in would effect the number on the scale. Hope this helps!
  • emilynicole02
    Options
    i guess i haven't ever up'd my cal intake since I have started mfp either.. mfp put me at 1200 cals. When I first started I was losing weight really easy..this was at 167lbs. I easily lost 12lbs and then hit a plateau. I got off track for awhile and gained back about 5lbs so now I am sitting at 162 and haven't been able to lose anything since.

i am currently doing insanity, on day 12. and I am 90% of the time under my calorie goal, trying to eat healthy (although, yes, i could be doing better at this!)

I am kinda wondering about the "calorie shock" thing, where I up my calories for a week or so and then drop back down to 1200? have any of you tried this? does it even work? is it a crock?

or should I be uping my cals in general? hmm
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Having just made buffalo chicken wings at home, the sauce tends be relatively low calorie, so maybe try asking for it on the side so you can control the amount. Also, see if grill or baked is an option instead of fried.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you're eating and how you're working out, a bit of a "bad" food is actually good for you. Try pushing the weigh day to Thursday morning so you get a better picture. I like to weigh myself first thing in the morning (ya know, after I take care of my "business")

Also, ditto with what others said. You should try eating them without sauce. I personally prefer it that way, maybe some hot sauce on them but then again the bar I goto have seriously ridonculouse wings without the extra blue cheese or ranch sauce!
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i have the same kryptonite. wing wednesday is my well documented cheat/failure night. lol

each wing is 100cal, is what i round to, so 10 wings is 1000 calories, plus a LOAD of saturated fats and sodium. 1000 calories for me is half my calories for the day, so I'd say that would put me over.
  • emilynicole02
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose?

I want to lose around 47 pounds, then see how comfortable I feel.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I am sure they are breaded (somewhat for coating) and deep fried. I would imagine that adds something to the nutrional info, and yes could cause some water retention. I wouldnt worry about it. I cant give up wings, nor would I ever consider it.

If its an option to have them non coated and baked with hot suace, that may make a small difference.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Can you eat just two or three and have a salad with it?
  • ScottyBeBop
    ScottyBeBop Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think i would rather die than give up my hot wings lol
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Once in a while we order pizza n wings. I get my wings honey mustard and I still lost. I just stuck the portion. Plus I made sure I earned them by working out before I ate them n maybe doing a bit of a work out after to get the full feeling out.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It will depend on the type of wing you are eating (whether it's breaded, and then if so, with flour vs. breading), but wings are essentially fried food. Almost all wings (unless you're making them) are fried in oil - even if they're grilled - you should ask (my local sports joint makes THE best grilled wings - they're fried first, and then grilled crispy - not great).

So deep fried food can be bad - my understanding is that it translates to between 70-150 calories per wing before you add the sauce. Sauce will again differ. Typically, the hotter the better (most places cut the hot to medium to mild by adding butter). There's a lot of places that have other sauces though that may be ok - just don't be afraid to ask.

For example, if they're coating your wings in straight Frank's hot sauce - don't fret - you'll likely only adding 5 calories per wing. But some sugary bbq sauces can add way more than that - taking your wings from 100 calories a piece to 150 a piece.

If you've got the calories - go for it. Just don't be afraid to ask questions about the cooking method and sauce types, and then track accurately.

*edited to up the wing calorie range - just found some batter fried ones that are actually 150 a piece.
  • emilynicole02
    Options
    Can you eat just two or three and have a salad with it?

I was thinking about something like this... maybe eat something healthy before I leave home to fill me up a little bit so I am not going there starving and over order wings... maybe get like 4 or something?
  • emilynicole02
    Options
    I think i would rather die than give up my hot wings lol

woahh dude i here ya! trying to find the happy medium..oh hummm
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    i have the same kryptonite. wing wednesday is my well documented cheat/failure night. lol

each wing is 100cal, is what i round to, so 10 wings is 1000 calories, plus a LOAD of saturated fats and sodium. 1000 calories for me is half my calories for the day, so I'd say that would put me over.

I haven't found a great way to eat more than 5 or 6 either - I had to give up 10 when starting MFP. Oh well :grumble: