**READ THIS** Figuring out your calorie goals

Options

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Ok, the charts on fat2fit are confusing the hell out of me.

My Katch-McArdle BMR is 1568.

I'm Moderately Active, so my TDEE would be 1568 * 1.55 = 2430. Right? And, in theory, if I eat 2430 calories a day I will maintain my weight. Correct?

OK, if this is the case, why is Fat2Fit telling me to eat 2427 calories if I am moderately active. There is no deficit here, so how I'm I supposed to lose weight like this?

Clearly, I'm missing something here. I was under the impression that in order to lose weight I need a deficit.

Fat2fit uses 1.4 for mod active, the chart already has a 20% deficit.

My numbers are pretty similar to yours, bmr 1574, mod active number from chart 2207, tdee 2645.
    Using the 500 cals per pound deficit, I eat around 1950 and lose 1.5 most weeks.
    Am down 40lbs and 10% bf in 6 months :-)

1.4 of what? 20% from what number? I'm not seeing a 20% deficit in that table.

Maybe if someone could lay out the math for me I'd understand. All I can see is that F2F is telling me to eat 3 calories less than my maintenance calories for someone who is moderately active. 3 calories does not a weight loss deficit make. I am so confused.

I entered the following:

70 inches tall
    27 y/o
    CW: 173
    GW: 163
    BF: 29.6 %

the number in the chart is 1.4 x bmr (i got this by just divding the number in the chart by bmr)
    add 20% to the number in the chart to get TDEE / maintenance
    the info above the chart says the figures have a deficit already included, as they are actually based on your goal weight, not current weight - read the section 'how many calories should i eat' . You only get a small deficit as you dont have much to lose, the info says you can lower by another 2-300 if needed as you get close to goal. 250 would give you 0.5 a week @ 2177 cals which is a sensible goal if you only have 10lbs to lose.

someone confirmed this for me on the original post 'in place of a road map' place from helloitsdan, pages 18/19.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map?error_user_id=6110710&error_username=em9371&page=18.

hope this helps x
  • hsnbro
    hsnbro Posts: 55
    Options
    bump!
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cafred
    cafred Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been using this model for the past three weeks, and so far so good. These calculations added roughly 1000 calories to my daily consumption, and I have far more energy now than I did a few weeks ago. I am no longer constantly tired, and I am eating enough to be able to really enjoy good meals.

If you are stuck in a plateau and are eating less than this method recommends, then you may want to give this a good look.

Thanks for sharing....I have wanted to hear from people who have used these numbers with success. Would love to hear from some shorter women who have had success also.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

BMR is min so always eat above 1293
    TDEE is max, usually what you would eat to maintain so eat less than 2316
    The number in the chart is your TDEE - 20% so you should ideally eat 1930
    Im confused where you got the 437/200 from. dont eat back exercise unless your workouts take you below BMR so you can burn 637 without eating back (1930-1293)

If you are currently eating much less than this, put your calories up gradually maybe 100 a week if you dont want to see a gain, or just go the whole amount at once, dont worry about the gain and stick with it for a few weeks.

To change your macros, go to home>goals>custom goals.

hope this helps x

Thanks for your help. I got the 437 because the original post by helloitsdan stated it's best to stay at least 200 calories over your BMR. Eating 1930 calories and burning 437 calories would put me at 200 calories over my BMR (1493). So, let's say I burnt 537 calories, I would need to eat back 100 of those calories to stay 200 calories over BMR. Does that make sense?

Again, thanks for the help!!!

ah thanks for that, i never saw the part about eating 200 cals over! might need to eat more then i usually net about 50 above bmr :-)
  • jgrodzicki
    Options
    Will have to come back to soak up all this info :) Thanks!
  • Christina_3192
    Christina_3192 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    very very very helpful!!!

Thank you!!
  • king1988
    king1988 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing....I have wanted to hear from people who have used these numbers with success. Would love to hear from some shorter women who have had success also.

I am 5'6.5" and have been following the F2F model, modified, for a little bit now. I decided to take the moderately active number and subtract 200 (because they say if you are close to your goal, you can, and I am only 10 lbs away). That was still an increase from where I was netting prior, by about 160 cals/day. My weight loss increased. In fact, I am losing too quickly for what I have left to lose, meaning I am losing muscle, so yesterday I bumped it all the way up to the 2200 they recommend for me, which is a 200/day increase. In mfp, just because I don't like to see red, I set my goals manually to a 2200 goal and then don't eat back my exercise cals. Even by changing my MFP to lightly active, it thinks I am set to gain 0.6 lbs/ week, but I just ignore that, as well as the what you'll weigh in 5 weeks numbers.

BTW, I use their original BF% calculator, not the military one. The military one seemed way off from the other results, which all seemed close to one another. When I went in and did the Bod Pod test 2 months ago, that reading was only 0.1% off from the F2F original BF% calculator, so I will continue to use that one.
  • ChocMich
    ChocMich Posts: 23
    Options
    Bump
  • Askyewalker
    Askyewalker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • josol1971
    josol1971 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info. Bumping to read later.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Well put with great info!
  • walker001
    walker001 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi all, the more I read the more confused I get. Between MFP, MRI, TDEE, etc etc.

Please help.

I am 61 will be 62 in a couple of weeks

At the moment my wt is 204.6

I am 5'6"

I walk or bike or some circuit training in my home gym for about 60-120 min a day. 5-6 days a week

MFP says my calories should be 1200

Is there anything else you have to know to tell me how many calories I should be eating to lose 1 - 1/2 lbs a week.

I have lost 80 lbs with W/W and have been struggling since 2009 to keep it off.

My goal wt is 185 but if I could get to 175 that would be great.

Please help
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump to re-read later!
  • littlebean24
    Options
    bump. thanks for the info
  • jwkime
    jwkime Posts: 37
    Options
    bump
  • mariiyah
    mariiyah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i followed the Fat2Fit.com site instructions & worked out my BMR, plus the site has shown me what amount of calories i should be eating per day based on my activity level (Lightly Active) as 1950 to get to my goal weight.

so if i choose to eat 1900 calories per day and then i burn between 300-500 calories during exercise...do i eat back those calories?

say i ate 1900, then i burned 450 during exercise: 1900-450 = 1450
    do i eat back that 450? so then it would be like:

[total calories eaten that day]2350 - [exercise cals]450 = [calories i should be eating per day]1900

is this right? 2350 cals per day seems like too much! or am i confusing myself all over again! gaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh this is difficult to understand. :sad:
  • Gemp2307
    Gemp2307 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ok, some very good info here, but, im also a little confused. Fat2fit and mfp both give me my bmr in and around the 1400 mark, which is fine, but f2f tells me i should eat 1900 cals, while mfp set my goal at 1200! I frequently go over the 1200 mark but i exercise regularly to make up for it, also my scales havent budged since the first two weeks i joined when i lost my first five pounds. Is it possible that I am eating too few cals? i still have ten pounds to go to get to my ideal weight but im worried that I may be going into starvation mode. I never go hungry so I think Im eating enough, even though i eat few cals. WTF? I really dunno what to do!
  • pandasmama3
    pandasmama3 Posts: 120
    Options
    I'm still confused HELP!!!