One little pet peeve...

Options
Niagarasailor
Niagarasailor Posts: 123 Member
EDIT: You may have read a topic like this before! If this is shameful and horrifying that you might see it mentioned again then move along, this is not the thread you are looking for!

While browsing the wonderful and informative threads here at MFP it occurred to me to mention casually that I find it amusing how many times 'lose' and 'loose' are used incorrectly. I was not aware at the time of my original topic creation that it was anathema to even mention this common mistake and I then was subjected to the snarky wrath of the veterans of MFP!

Nonetheless I bravely wish to continue to point out that you want to 'lose' weight. Not 'loose' it. When I hear 'I want to loose fat' I imagine people turning their flabby stomachs loose upon an unsuspecting populace for a rampage of terror.

That is all! Have a great day!

:tongue:

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks, no one ever brought that up before. This should do the trick!
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    And actually, "loosing" is a word.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Lock, lock, lock your thread...
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    omg I never heard of this pet peeve before, next thing you know we will see posts about TOM and weight gain....oh wait
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    omg....I am so happy to finally have someone else say something about this!! It absolutely drives me insane when I see it!!!
  • Niagarasailor
    Options
    As it is an adverb I am pretty sure you cannot add -ing to it...

And if this is a repeat thread then I apologize, but I have only been on here a week so I have no way of knowing (that it was a horrible thing to mention.) :)
  • scarlieoh
    scarlieoh Posts: 18
    Options
    A lot of people on this website are not fluent in English like native Brits or Americans or Aussies or Kiwis or Canadians etc.
    Have a little respect for the people who learn to speak English among other languages, and cut them some slack.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    oh-look-its-this-thread-again.jpg
  • Minkime
    Minkime Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Meh, grammar nazi gonna naz ;)
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options

And if this is a repeat thread then I apologize, but I have only been on here a week so I have no way of knowing. :)
    I apoligize i didnt realize you were new
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

And if this is a repeat thread then I apologize, but I have only been on here a week so I have no way of knowing. :)
    Um, loose isn't an adverb... It's a verb, and an adjective.

Loose
    Loosed
    Loosing

All grammatically correct. I mean, if you're going to correct grammar, you should at least be correct, yourself.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Was this seriously just posted again?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Actually, "loose" is a verb as well, my dear.

loosing
    present participle of loose (Verb)
    Set free; release: "the hounds have been loosed".
    Untie; unfasten: "the ropes were loosed".

God bless.
  • moskinnny
    moskinnny Posts: 118
    Options
    my miss spelins is cuz I m not edumacted enuff and defishant of choclate...........lol
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Thanks, no one ever brought that up before. This should do the trick!

I was just going to say this! Try the search function. (By the way, it drives me crazy as well.)
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on this website are not fluent in English like native Brits or Americans or Aussies or Kiwis or Canadians etc.
    Have a little respect for the people who learn to speak English among other languages, and cut them some slack.

HAHAHA Canadians yes we are not fluent in English! LOL oh my goodness I haven't laughed so hard in a long time THANKS for that!
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one who gets annoyed about this! But heaven forbid you display an actual opinion on ths site, what were you thinking!! :noway:
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options

HAHAHA Canadians yes we are not fluent in English! LOL oh my goodness I haven't laughed so hard in a long time THANKS for that!
    Apparently not, since you didn't understand what that meant.
  • Niagarasailor
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one who gets annoyed about this! But heaven forbid you display an actual opinion on ths site, what were you thinking!! :noway:

Clearly I created it just to pick on non-native speakers and totally not as an off the cuff comment on something I was thinking about while I browsed!

To those who have pointed out 'loosing' is a grammatically correct word I stand corrected! Except that it's definitely not being used *here* in the grammatically correct ways you have given examples for. lol...