Is it worth it?

Options
I've been going through a lot, and I was speaking to an older friend about life. I told him that I was going to really work on improving my self-esteem and sanity, in order to live a happier life because this life is worth living.

He said that life isn't worth it. He isn't a suicidal guy or anything, and he's fairly successful. He told me life is hard and that we should stay alive because that's the only choice we have, and we can TRY to make it tolerable, but really, in the end it's not all that great.

So, do you guys think life is "worth it?" I don't plan on killing myself, but I want to know that I'm not going to have to go through life simply struggling and trying to get by. Ideally I would like to hear that life isn't something we tolerate, but instead something we can enjoy (without doing any damage to our bodies and minds).

Do you guys enjoy life?

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    nope, i just feel im one day closer to death
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    how sad
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    sorry im brutally honest
  • gdaykatie
    gdaykatie Posts: 25
    Options
    Sounds a bit nihilistic to me. For me it's mind over matter. Be happy and life will feel happier for you. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's worked quite nicely for me. I have my super ****ty days, but who doesn't?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Most depressing post ever.

Of course life is worth it. And news flash...your friend may seem successful and like he's got his act together but what a total downer.

Look bad **** happens..but that's not what we should focus our life around. There are too many positive, wonderful things in this world to be enjoyed. Why be negative and deny yourself all the pleasures because ...bad stuff may happen too.

Sounds like he's depressed and wants to drag you down the same road. My advice....find some happier friends.
  • gdaykatie
    gdaykatie Posts: 25
    Options
    Oh, okay, I didn't realize MFP was censoring us now?

Is crappy a better word, then? Haha.
  • janie4ever
    Options
    yes..life is hard
    sometimes u r sad
    sometimes u are happy
    its best to make the most of the happy times and remember them when u are sad so u don't despair
    life is a journey
    learn from the hard times
    enjoy the good
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    yeah, he probably has his own issues. It's weird, though, because many people I've spoken to say that they simply "tolerate" life. Yikes.

Anyway, despite what he said, I'm going to focus on living positively and making the best out of every situation.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    nope

definitely not worth it

life totally blows
  • ahonea84
    ahonea84 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for the post Debbie Downer. Wah, wah!
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Basically you're asking, does life have meaning?

I'm sure you'll find the answer to that question here. :tongue:
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    lol, no, I'm not asking if it has meaning. Seeing all the "rate the person above you because they have low self-esteem and they need your approval to function" posts doesn't inspire much confidence. I simply want to see if anyone is genuinely happy with their lives.
  • janie4ever
    Options
    good for u girl
    take life into your own hands
    dont let anyone or anything get u down
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I like this thread.

The answer, of course, will vary from person to person.

Myself, life is totally worth it.

And the diet and exercise is worth it too, because a more healthy and attractive body (or perhaps I should say a less unattractive body?) will lead to a bit more happiness.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I love life. I treasure every second. That does't mean there aren't times when I'm stressed or unhappy, more that they're not that common and that underneath them all I know I've got perfection and I'm truly happy. The only downside is that life seems to go very quickly when you're savouring it.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Your friend may not be suicidal, but he sure sound really depressed to me.

I'm not in a happy marriage right now and am working my way out of it, but I still think like is worth living. The sun rises and the birds sing. Life is beautiful, even if not always happy. And it's definitely worth living!
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Yes, life is worth it. I have made lots of mistakes and hurt more people than I care to remember, been through massive disasters, lost my home, watched friends die, but I learned, I moved on, and I find something and someone to enjoy and share every day.

I can walk the same trail in our local park every weekend for 18 years, but there is always something new and different and ultimately entertaining and uplifting to experience.

Experience life. The taste of food, the bouquet of wine, the light of dawn against mountains in our desert, the laughter of my daughters, dancing with my wife, smacking willie while looking at po.....wait forget that....

I have watched my grandparents and parents die from old age and they were dynamic and opinionated people who loved life, hated to see their capacity to enjoy life diminish with age. And by the time they were 90+ and the tastebuds and nostrils didn't work so well, and reading was near impossible , and it was really difficult and undignified to get dressed, poop, and shower, they knew it was time to check out.

We are here for the purpose of taking care of each other, ourselves, and the space around us, don't you think? Is it worth it? As long as I can laugh and get someone else to laugh, and the beer is cold and the fish fresh, and the weather tolerable, absolutely!
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Life is what you make of it. Old saying, but true.

When I was in the worst marriage ever, I had days where I didn't care (and ate for depression.....awesome). Of course, having a "spouse" that tried to sabotage your weight loss attempts doesn't help either. And since I have kids and made a commitment (gasp), I stuck it out until she ran along.

After that, I'm loving life. We're all different, but for me, I see my weight issue as getting in the way of a good time. ;)

If you feel life isn't worth it, that means you've just got to get out there and live a little.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    sure beats the alternative. Life is hard, easy, fun, annoying, mercurial, ecstatic, wonderful, cruel and over all too quickly. I, for the most part, like and enjoy life and all it has to bring.

Oh, and I got to see the OP in that fantastic dress .... yep life is good. :tongue:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Oh boo effing hoo. You have to struggle in life to earn what you want. Then you appreciate what you have much more. If life is so pointless, why even be on this site for fitness? Because, if life is pointless, everything else pretty much is too.